Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector vs. Wall Connector for Outdoors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is repeated but I couldn't find anything.

I'm waiting on delivery of a MYLR. My house does not have a garage and I've already installed a weatherproof 14-50 outlet that I planned on using the mobile connector with (and tested it this past weekend very successfully! no fires or shocks). I already have the 14-50 adapter as well. My question is, will this be good enough for my purposes if I won't be driving very much on a daily basis? I'm not concerned about the charge rate so much as the safety/well-being of leaving the mobile connector outside permanently and not having it in my car.

I didn't want to spend another $400 on top of everything for the wall connector if it wasn't necessary. So again, will the mobile connector be safe sitting outside most of the time in the elements, or should I consider biting the bullet and installing the wall connector? Looking for honest and objective opinions.

Thanks!
IMG_20211120_133854.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a 14-50 w/the mobile connector for more than 4 years....works perfectly well. I have used the mobile connector out in the elements many times while traveling or staying at a AirBNB, without any issues. Even in very horrible heavy rain conditions.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

See Safety Information, Page 2.

Do support the Mobile Connector chassis (don't let the Mobile connector electronics unit hang supported by only the power plug.) Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a mounting bracket to support the Mobile Connector chassis. (Similar kits can be found on Amazon, Etsy and Ebay.)

Don't routinely plug and unplug the 14-50 plug from the receptacle This will loosen the connection as 14-50 receptacles are not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations.

Last edited:
The mobile connector is not really rated for that kind of use. From the manual:
Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.
If I was installing a permanant outdoor EVSE, I'd use the wall connector, which is built for it. If I "had" to use a mobile connector, I'd use some kind of weather protection that could hold the entire mobile connector (and wall outlet) when not is use and only exposed the plug and cable when actually charging.

It doesn't have to be fancy, it could be a simple wooden box.

Last edited:
If you keep a wall connector outside, is there a way to disconnect the cable so it doesn't get stolen? I know it's quite thick, but people have managed to steal catalytic converters from cars in the middle of neighborhoods.
Not ideal to repeatedly unplug the 14-50 plug from the receptacle or remove the 14-50 plug adapter from the Mobile Connector chassis. A weatherproof housing for the whole setup that can be locked would work. The thieves would not be able to cut, take the charging cord for the copper.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I was actually thinking of the wall connector, not the mobile connector. I suppose it applies to any EV charger that's stored outside. Hmmm.
The Wall Connector cover plate is attached with Torx security screws. A copper thief would just cut off the charging cable. As far as preventing unauthorized charging you can now set up the Wall Connector to only recognize specific Tesla vehicle VINs.

I have been using a regular 120V outlet on the outside wall of my condo with a mobile connector for my Model Y LR. Plugging in at night and unplugging in the morning. It has worked flawlessly for 3 months giving me 30-40 miles per night which is enough for my city driving. However, recently when plugging in, the GFCI trips on the outlet repeatedly and I have had to give up charging for the evening. It works sporadically now. Did something change with the Model Y software? My electrician has said that there is nothing wrong and that I am getting 20A to that outlet - I would think that is enough for the mobile connector? He is now advising me to switch to a Tesla wall charger and he will upgrade the outlet to 40A for about $800 (charger separate). I don't need the charge speed but he recommends it for convenience and that it is a better solution. He also says it will add value to my condo when I come to sell it (I agree with that!). Does anyone have any similar experiences or views?
IMG_7281.jpg

Outdoor GFCI receptacles are now required by code but they can be problematic. Depending on the weather conditions there can be excessive humidity and condensation forming around the receptacle that can cause the GFCI to repeatedly trip. If you want a more reliable, faster home charging setup the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector and 240V/40A circuit would be a good solution. BTW there is no outlet when installing the Wall Connector as it is designed to be hard wired.

Not sure from your post what you electrician was proposing to install as an upgrade. A 50A rated circuit would enable charging at 40A. A 40A rated circuit would enable charging at 32A. (EV charging is always limited to a maximum of 80% of the circuit rating.)

Your existing L1 (120V and 12A) charging is capable of adding 4 miles per hour of range. L2 charging at 240V and 40A would add up to 36 miles of range per hour (about 10X faster). L2 charging at 240V and 32A would add up to 29 miles of range per hour.

Unless you plan to move in the near future I would suggest you have the L2 circuit installed.

Last edited:
It's always a bit of a crapshoot guessing why a GFCI starts tripping. It could be that the heat generated by charging at high amps has damaged it, or it may always have been close to tripping, and some environmental change (or even firmware, I suppose) has made a difference. You can try a different brand of GFCI, or switch to a normal outlet with a GFCI breaker. However, there's guarantee that any of that will actually fix your problem. It's also worth noting that plugging and unplugging the 5-15/20 every day will sooner or later wear it out and you'll have to replace the outlet.

The price for the upgrade and install doesn't sound too bad, and a wall charger will have the benefit of not only being faster and more convenient, but more efficient to boot. It's also worth considering that the wall connector is actually rated for weather exposure, unlike the mobile connector. I know if I were shopping for a condo, having charging already installed would be a nice check in the "pro" column. If you do go through with it, make sure you locate it in a convenient spot. It's very handy if you just have to grab the plug, turn around and plug in, rather than coil and uncoil a bunch of cord.

Last edited:
Reactions: richtezman
This is a great post. This is one of the problems with plugging into outlets that have GFCI protection which is required by code now for outdoors and garages.

Your electrician has made a good recommendation. The wall connector will give you flexibility if you need to add more than 30-40 miles. Since it’s hard wired willl not require any GFCI protection at the breaker panel so no nuisance tripping.

In very hot or very cold weather your car will need to condition the battery and a 120v connection will not be enough to keep up with the electric demand for conditioning. Wall connector will solve that

Wall connector is much safer in the long term as well.

Reactions: richtezman
I park my MY in a car port. I put in a 14-50R, got a 14-50P adapter for the mobile connector that came with the car. The wall connector does so many handy things, I got one of those, put a power cable with a molded 14-50P on it and plugged the wall connector into the 14-50R. It can just stay plugged in all the time, and I use the mobile connector on the road, typically at the destination stops. I also carry J1772 adapter and a 14-50P => 10-30R and a 10-30P => 5-15P adapter. So normal charging is wall connector with no plugging / unplugging except the wall connector to the car, of course. On the road I can configure all the adapters and the mobile connector to fit with most anything available.

I park my MY in a car port. I put in a 14-50R, got a 14-50P adapter for the mobile connector that came with the car. The wall connector does so many handy things, I got one of those, put a power cable with a molded 14-50P on it and plugged the wall connector into the 14-50R. It can just stay plugged in all the time, and I use the mobile connector on the road, typically at the destination stops. I also carry J1772 adapter and a 14-50P => 10-30R and a 10-30P => 5-15P adapter. So normal charging is wall connector with no plugging / unplugging except the wall connector to the car, of course. On the road I can configure all the adapters and the mobile connector to fit with most anything available.
While it's great you have done this and it works for you, it is not receommended by Tesla to use the WC any other way than hard wired. It is not supposed to have any GFCI on the circuit and the way you have it set up, it likely requires a GFCI breaker on the outlet circuit since it is outside. So there are multiple things going against you, you are either up to code with GFCI and going against Tesla's requirements for installation or you are conforming with neither.