TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mobile Eye vs AP1 & 2

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Dborn, May 26, 2018.

1. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

All this is crazy. The full potential of AP1 has not been realised yet. Given the break with Mobileye, it is likely that it never will be, which is a crying shame. Now that Intel owns Mobileye, one could have hoped for some reconciliation, but it seems Elon continues to insist on vertical integration, more is the pity. Had he stuck with Mobileye, AP2 would already be streets ahead.....

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  2. animorph

animorph Active Member

Mobileye incorporated both hardware and software and the good hardware wasn't going to be available until well after AP2 was introduced. Tesla would be beholden to Mobileye/Microsoft hardware and software and would have to share their fleet data with Mobileye. I don't see how Tesla could be that dependent on anyone else for a key part of their driving experience.

• Disagree x 2
  3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

IQ4 is out now and can support 8+ cameras. AP2 is only just about at AP1 parity now and may still not be quite up to AP1. At the pace Tesla is developing this stuff, sticking with Mobileye would not have been such a bad thing. IQ5 will be out in 2020and like all their stuff, will be developed and stable. Can’t say the same for the in house stuff coming out of Tesla....

• Love x 1
  4. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

How AP can be considered a "key part of the Tesla driving experience" in the sorry unreliable level 2 state it`s in is beyond me....
    I don`t really see the differentiating factors to many center-lane assistants across a multitude of manufacturers.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Because the others are mostly using Mobileye.....

• Love x 1
  6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

MobileEye work also exclusively on the detection side of the self-driving equation. That is a very small part, perhaps the easiest part, of self-driving. We don't know what all Tesla is currently capable of detecting, since that's only revealed when a new feature supporting detection of X is revealed. Knowing what to do with all that data is the hard part.

Was switching away from MobileEye a temporary setback? No doubt it was (I'm an early AP2 owner... I know). But they world also never be able to give Tesla the level of integration that Tesla wants.