Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Gen 2 Connector Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has encountered this issues before.

I’ve been charging my M3 for the past 2.5 years through a 110 outlet with my mobile connector that came with the car. With zero issues!

About 2 weeks ago my charging at home would start as normal and then all of a sudden it would send me a notification saying my charge has stopped charging. I would try to restart it through the app and it would say charging failed. When I go down to the car it starts to randomly unlock and lock when I’m within arms reach without me touching it and when I enter the vehicle it says “charging equipment not recognized”.

I then would remove the charger, plug it back it and the process would repeat itself. Sometimes it’ll charge for 15 minutes and do this and others upwards of 5 hours before “not recognizing” it again. I have tried multiple outlets, locations and it occurs regardless. For reference… I have supercharged without issue and my FLO stage 2 charger at work with the J adapter has no issue either.

I took it in for a service appointment a few days ago and they looked at the mobile connector and said it appeared fine. They replaced the cars ECU and reinstalled the firmware. This is not solve the issue. They now want me to go back and get it looked at again. The frustrating part is I told them before just to give me a new mobile connector under warranty but they didn’t seem to accept that was the issue. Waste of both of our times!

Anyways… anyone else experience this before?

Being able to Supercharge does not really matter in this case as Level 1/2 (AC) charging takes a different path in the car. What's more important is that your work charging is okay. Since you have said that you tried your mobile connector on multiple outlets (in your own home I'm assuming), you can probably rule out a bad/worn outlet as being the problem. And by "locations" I'll assume that you've tried charging at other places than your home and have the same issue.

That does appear to narrow down the problem to being the mobile connector you have. I would first try re-seating the plug adapter; pull it out and then plug it back into the mobile connector. Maybe there's a bad connection. See if that solves the charging problem. If it doesn't, then see if you can borrow another mobile connector. If there's charging at your workplace, odds are that there's another Tesla owner around. Contact them and see if you can use their mobile connector for a few hours while at work (assuming a suitable 120V outlet is available). It may be a good idea to use your 5-15 plug adapter with their mobile connector so that the only different thing is the MC.

With those data points, if it seems like everything is indicating that your mobile connector is defective, go back to Tesla Service and explain what you did to arrive at that conclusion. Ask them what they did earlier that led them to say that your mobile connector "appeared fine". Be prepared to leave your MC with them so they can run some more tests/experiments.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0