Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Hotspot and non auto reconnect of Wi-fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the unlimited T-mobile hotspot and hence decided to not get the monthly LTE plan from Tesla. I initially had the hotspot configured to connect with my Model 3 and could see the hotspot name under the wi-fi usernames. And then it played the internet radio stations well.

But I have noticed that it does not automatically connect to that mobile hotspot wi-fi each time I get into the car because the wi-fi settings in Tesla gets turned off. I have to go and switch it from off to on position each and every time before my hotspot wifi becomes visible. Is this a known bug. Are there any workarounds for it?

I have the unlimited T-mobile hotspot and hence decided to not get the monthly LTE plan from Tesla. I initially had the hotspot configured to connect with my Model 3 and could see the hotspot name under the wi-fi usernames. And then it played the internet radio stations well.

But I have noticed that it does not automatically connect to that mobile hotspot wi-fi each time I get into the car because the wi-fi settings in Tesla gets turned off. I have to go and switch it from off to on position each and every time before my hotspot wifi becomes visible. Is this a known bug. Are there any workarounds for it?
This is a common complaint amongst users. I also use a hotspot and it’s definitely an annoyance. Hopefully they will fix this in a future update.

I had the same issue connecting my model 3 to T-mobile hotspot. I got used to taking that extra clicks to connect each time I went from park to drive.. its just annoying and should be fixed by Tesla.

However, starting 4 weeks ago - I cannot connect my model3 to the t-mobile hotspot anymore. Upon contacting tesla customer care, they notified me that the 'due to a Firewall restriction' you are not able to connect.

Are anyone else facing the same issue?

Is it that Tesla finding ways to enforce people to pay $10 montly for their premium connectivity?? :!

I had the same issue connecting my model 3 to T-mobile hotspot. I got used to taking that extra clicks to connect each time I went from park to drive.. its just annoying and should be fixed by Tesla.
This thread is super old. There is a new update that allows the wifi to always be on:
https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/540/tesla-s-remain-connected-to-wifi-how-it-ll-work-and-supported-features
However, starting 4 weeks ago - I cannot connect my model3 to the t-mobile hotspot anymore. Upon contacting tesla customer care, they notified me that the 'due to a Firewall restriction' you are not able to connect.

Are anyone else facing the same issue?

Is it that Tesla finding ways to enforce people to pay $10 montly for their premium connectivity?? :!
I don't see how it's a Tesla side issue, as given the above update, they are making it even easier to avoid the premium connectivity.
Most likely your T-mobile device or service has a configuration that might be incompatible. According to below, Tesla needs the firewall in your device to allow a VPN with UDP.
WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles – TeslaTap

Reactions: jjrandorin