Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile hotspot disconnects when using YouTube/Netflix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 is connected to my phone hotspot. Spotify and browsing work fine via the hotspot, but when I try to use the native Netflix or YouTube app, the WiFi connection drops and both apps close by themselves. These apps previously worked fine. I have tried rebooting the car with no luck. Is this a known issue with a recent update, or is this unique to my car?

Model 3 is connected to my phone hotspot. Spotify and browsing work fine via the hotspot, but when I try to use the native Netflix or YouTube app, the WiFi connection drops and both apps close by themselves. These apps previously worked fine. I have tried rebooting the car with no luck. Is this a known issue with a recent update, or is this unique to my car?
Does it work on regular wifi? Is your carrier content aware? I know a lot of carriers have a different data limit that looks at what content you are watching, they automatically limit the quality of video streaming apps. It could be this function that is interfering with the car's built in app.

Here's some examples:
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1169198/
Activate HD video streaming
My Verizon Website - Manage Video Streaming Quality

Does it work on regular wifi? Is your carrier content aware? I know a lot of carriers have a different data limit that looks at what content you are watching, they automatically limit the quality of video streaming apps. It could be this function that is interfering with the car's built in app.

Here's some examples:
Turn Stream Saver Off or On
Activate HD video streaming
My Verizon Website - Manage Video Streaming Quality
Appreciate the suggestion, but that isn't the issue. Confirmed with iPad hotspotted to the same phone and Netflix and YouTube work on the iPad. I will try to connect the car to a public hotspot to verify (I live in a condo so no home WiFi).

Appreciate the suggestion, but that isn't the issue. Confirmed with iPad hotspotted to the same phone and Netflix and YouTube work on the iPad. I will try to connect the car to a public hotspot to verify (I live in a condo so no home WiFi).
An ipad testing does not exclude the issue. This is because Tesla's car infotainment system may not work the same as an iPad. I'm pretty sure the carriers have tested their system works on ipads, but I doubt they necessarily tested it using Tesla's system, given it's still a niche application.

You are not alone, same issue here. Only the Tesla tutorial app works.

I've raised service request and asked for remote troubleshooting. I hope there are others with same issue that log tickets so that this can be resolved rather than them blaming the customer.

Feel like this is a way for them to push you to premium connectivity or something as it definitely turns off WiFi when you launch the app and without internet the app crashes

You are not alone, same issue here. Only the Tesla tutorial app works.

I've raised service request and asked for remote troubleshooting. I hope there are others with same issue that log tickets so that this can be resolved rather than them blaming the customer.

Feel like this is a way for them to push you to premium connectivity or something as it definitely turns off WiFi when you launch the app and without internet the app crashes
Hah we had the same convo on reddit. Here's the answer for others, now just need to figure out why youtube causes bluetooth to drop out temporarily.

"for me, it ended up being a bixby routine on my samsung phone. I had it set to turn off my mobile hotspot whenever the Bluetooth disconnected from the car. For whatever reason, opening YouTube or Netflix temporarily disconnects Bluetooth, which turned off the mobile hotspot."