TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mobile phone wireless charging in Tesla X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by RFC7, Jan 24, 2020.

1. RFC7

RFC7 Member

I apologise if this topic has been featured elsewhere, I have searched the forums but to no avail.

I ordered a Tesla X on November 9th 2019, to date I have absolutely no idea when I
    should expect delivery, I would be perfectly happy just to know the month, or even the year !!

My reason for raising the phone charging topic is that I have only just been informed
    that the Tesla X does not have a wireless mobile phone charger, if this is correct I am astounded that
    Tesla designers have chosen not to include this basic feature, instead offering a 20 year old USB socket for a plug-in charging cable!
    The whole Tesla concept was founded on the idea of producing battery powered cars, and it's track
    record coupled with phenomenal growth to date cannot be questioned. Elon Musk would be Knighted if he lived here
    in the UK, not only for his achievements but also for putting a rocket up the asses of every other car manufacturer in the world.

Congratulations Sir Elon !!

BUT how could you possibly leave out what must surely be one of the lowest cost accessories to build into an
    electric car, something that must surely be in the top 5, must haves, for any car owner in today's world.
    It just defies logic how that basic requirement could slip through the net, Instead, the obvious location for a wireless charger has been used for 4 cheap cup holders between the front passenger and drivers seats!! Which, incidentally Brits
    rarely use.

No design award there then......

Elon I was thinking of calling you know who at Buckingham Palace about your Knighthood situation, but unfortunately
    my mobile had gone flat !!

NB: If my source of information is incorrect, and my Tesla X eventually arrives with a fitted wireless phone charger......

Arise Sir Elon Musk.

RFC7
    Jan 24th 2020.

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Lots of aftermarket options.

I would speculate this future one from Tesla is for the S/X. https://ww.electrek.co/2020/01/23/tesla-branded-wireless-phone-charger/

Tesla spent their money on the battery and drivetrain. Why didn’t one of those other manufacturers that included wireless phone charging think to include the obviously missing electric power train?

• Like x 2
  3. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

Agree that it should be included. You can buy an aftermarket one that is custom made to fit into the center console for like $20. At least on the Model 3 it's a factory option.

4. Vitaman

Vitaman Supporting Member

Anyone found an aftermarket one that they feel is really worthy?

5. KerryOH

KerryOH Member

I am very happy with this one from Amazon. It sits either on top of or underneath the sliding cover for the console. Phone is secure and charged easily.
    upload_2020-1-25_8-23-16.png upload_2020-1-25_8-23-16.png

6. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Thanks for posting the link. Any idea where that charger would mount? Maybe on the side of the console and you just drop your phone in.

7. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

There are a few that fit directly in the console. Most are the same design and range from like $25-$50. This is an example from TapTes:
    https://www.amazon.com/TapTes-Wireless-Organizer-Charging-Accessories/dp/B07R1NPFX6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'm considering purchasing but I use my cup holders in the center console a lot and am not crazy about losing that space. I did hear that there is a version now with integrated cup holders as well so I will need to see what it looks like.

8. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I also use my center console cup holders and would not give them up for a charger. I hope you don't have to with the Tesla charger.

9. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I think it looks like it would replace the flip up piece that is there now. The one with the charge plug along the bottom. But it may just be for a newer upcoming design console. Hard to tell for sure.

I have this one - Center Console Storage Shelf for Tesla Model S (purchased elsewhere). It's OK, does the job. Phone needs to be centered. I always have junk in that compartment so it covers it up nicely.

10. RFC7

RFC7 Member

11. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

Anyone tried this one from Taptes?

12. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla added the console because of the limited storage in S/X.

Wireless charger trays make access to the console storage more difficult - would prefer to have the solution Tesla is putting into new S/X, upgrading the phone charging dock cover to support wireless charging - and not impacting the storage area.