Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone is old but it serves me as unlike most others I use it for making calls (about 2 a week) and taking the occasional photo . . . . . (what are those people sat in the waiting room doing eyes glued to their phones; what are they looking at / doing?) When I had the test drive it was made clear to me that I would be doing it (the many it's) on my phone - do I need a new phone?

How old are we talking?

Unbreakable Nokia 3310? Probably.

Anything made post 2015 should be ok. The Tesla app requires iOS 13.0 or Android 5 which can be installed on iPhone 6S or equivalent Android phones from that year.

You don't actually need a phone to do anything with the car, but having one as a "phone key" makes getting in and out of it (walk away lock/unlock) pretty convenient.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
App helpful for pre-heating, checking charging etc.

Getting in and out, can use the cards, or a card turned into a ring. Don't have one, but have thought about getting one. I always carry card & phone in separate places on me in case stolen/lost/left in car/battery dies. Also, my wife carries a card, could have app on phone but doesn't. Lots of ways of doing it.

what a 'fob'

Not the cheapest thing, but does let you open the bonnet and unlock the chargeport which would otherwise require faffing about with a phone or the car controls.

If your phone will run the Tesla app, then that might be OK for you. The app is useful for unlocking/locking, checking charge progress whilst you're not in the car, pre-heating/cooling, but it isn't essential. Depends what you're happy with. As has been said, I always carry one of the cards with me anyway in case I break or lose my phone whilst away from the car.

I'm no expert, but not all phones can benefit from the wireless charging. This is a real plus as far as I'm concerned as there are no untidy cables and you know your phone is fully charged after a long journey. I know that my Samsung 'S' is OK with that, but my wife's 'A' isn't.

I also use my phone for audiobooks and music whilst in the car - but still have a lots of music on an SD card plugged in via a USB adaptor. I'm a heavy mobile call user mainly due to my work, so having something that is as seamless as possible is a plus for me.

If you're OK with not accessing the app, as it isn't necessary to drive the car, then even if it won't work on your phone it isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: niiru
I'm also possibly in the market for a new phone and was looking at it from a viewpoint of the wireless charging our cars should have and that I don't want something the size of a tablet.
My current choices seem to be Samsung S20/21 or a OnePlus 9 (no Apple products here).
Any other recommendations?

My phone is old but it serves me as unlike most others I use it for making calls (about 2 a week) and taking the occasional photo . . . . . (what are those people sat in the waiting room doing eyes glued to their phones; what are they looking at / doing?) When I had the test drive it was made clear to me that I would be doing it (the many it's) on my phone - do I need a new phone?
"eyes glued to their phones; what are they looking at / doing?" - TMC on the internet, games, TSLA stock price, cat videos, Elon's youngest being cute on an 8 hour space scientists video, you know, the usual

You can download the Tesla app at any time, I believe. It should at least tell someone with an old phone if they have basic compatibility with the app

I'm also possibly in the market for a new phone and was looking at it from a viewpoint of the wireless charging our cars should have and that I don't want something the size of a tablet.
My current choices seem to be Samsung S20/21 or a OnePlus 9 (no Apple products here).
Suggest you check the Xiaomi Web Site / App they have some very capable and reasonably priced Android Phones.

Mobile phones are a great idea for governments - instant self-surveillance at little central cost.
I live in a mobile dead zone but there is a benefit to having some remote communication with car - if only to preheat it in winter while in the gym shower and perhaps as an emergency object should one break down. My solution was a modest Motorola linked to 1p mobile for a tenner every 3 mths. Comms from home via WhatsApp, turned off in the car unless I need it (I’m retired and prefer not to be disturbed) but handy to fire up and watch a movie at a supercharger Personal circs vary.

No, get the Oneplus 9. In terms of v for m I'd say it had the S21 beat. It's a much inferior phone don't get me wrong but it's also cheaper.

Don't get a fold 3. It doesn't play nicely with the wireless charger

Reactions: Washout
One Plus 9 is HUGE!!!
Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 18.27.49.png

Given a Tesla M3 is a £50k car on average, and stuffed full of some of the most advanced tech on the planet you definitely need the latest app / phone to make the most of the features (just seeing where the car is going/located is a must). Fob seems a backwards step to me. Oh and the Apple Watch app is a great addition too 😉

The Tesla Key Fob is about the same price as a traditional car key fob.... I'm thinking about one as every time Apple update my phone it seems to break the link to the car and I have to reset it. First World problem, I admit, but the Tesla Fob is a wonderfully tactile shape...
Yes but with every other car (including every Tesla that isn’ta model three) you get a key fob

Reactions: candida
Google pixel 6 (not pro) also £250 cheaper than the Pro version but same kit apart from a zoom camera and slightly bigger screen. Although get a case as it's a slippery bugger.

Great phone and amazing camera.

It's a "pure" Android experience

Reactions: Epyx and Washout