Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Ranger here, ask me (almost) anything!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a headlight replaced on Friday, did the software update afterwards, and thought things were updated correctly per the screen. I didn't put the car in drive and I didn't drive anywhere Friday or Saturday. I got in on Saturday night to update the charging for my trip home from the holidays and got the error that a Software Update was required and to contact Telsa Service. After waiting on hold for awhile, I was told that this had to be escalated to Advanced Car Support or have another Mobile Service come out to fix it, and it could be 48 business hours. Everything appeared to be working, but on my six hour drive home I realized the blinker was flashing at double speed and auto lane changes on that side didn't work. Earlier (on Saturday night) I even texted back the mobile tech who apologized and said it probably needed to update again. This morning I got the update and a call from the Service Center to check up, and everything is OK.

My question is... why can't Tesla Service send updates like this on Sundays and/or 24/7. What if a problem like this leaves you stranded? Couldn't the Mobile Tech who replaced my headlight have resent the update, or does something in the system prevent that? I love my Tesla, and in six months of ownership, this was the first time I was truly frustrated at what appeared to be a simple button push.

I had a headlight replaced on Friday, did the software update afterwards, and thought things were updated correctly per the screen. I didn't put the car in drive and I didn't drive anywhere Friday or Saturday. I got in on Saturday night to update the charging for my trip home from the holidays and got the error that a Software Update was required and to contact Telsa Service. After waiting on hold for awhile, I was told that this had to be escalated to Advanced Car Support or have another Mobile Service come out to fix it, and it could be 48 business hours. Everything appeared to be working, but on my six hour drive home I realized the blinker was flashing at double speed and auto lane changes on that side didn't work. Earlier (on Saturday night) I even texted back the mobile tech who apologized and said it probably needed to update again. This morning I got the update and a call from the Service Center to check up, and everything is OK.

My question is... why can't Tesla Service send updates like this on Sundays and/or 24/7. What if a problem like this leaves you stranded? Couldn't the Mobile Tech who replaced my headlight have resent the update, or does something in the system prevent that? I love my Tesla, and in six months of ownership, this was the first time I was truly frustrated at what appeared to be a simple button push.
A software update can only be pushed by a technician. When we replace the headlight we update the software so the vehicle recognizes the replacement. On rare occasions the vehicle might need an additional update, or the module the light connects to has to be manually reset through our diagnostic software. The service manual gets updated to give us additional needed steps if anything changes. I had to push an update 3 times for their light to stop hyper flashing the amber signal. We can't stay there for the 1-2 hours to see if the software will pass, we have other customers waiting. I do tell my customers to contact me directly if it fails so we can try again.

To have that software pushed to you then you need an open work order. That's why you can't email technical support. Technical support can help with minor issues and that's why they are 24/7 and not mobile techs. Save your mobile techs email/number. It's not hard for us to push updates over the air.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
A software update can only be pushed by a technician. When we replace the headlight we update the software so the vehicle recognizes the replacement. On rare occasions the vehicle might need an additional update, or the module the light connects to has to be manually reset through our diagnostic software. The service manual gets updated to give us additional needed steps if anything changes. I had to push an update 3 times for their light to stop hyper flashing the amber signal. We can't stay there for the 1-2 hours to see if the software will pass, we have other customers waiting. I do tell my customers to contact me directly if it fails so we can try again.

To have that software pushed to you then you need an open work order. That's why you can't email technical support. Technical support can help with minor issues and that's why they are 24/7 and not mobile techs. Save your mobile techs email/number. It's not hard for us to push updates over the air.

Thanks for the info! Perhaps my tech didn't try to push the update again because he didn't see the text from me until I already said they put in another work order. At the time I didn't know it was related, thought that it was just a failed software update, and it might be improper to text back to the mobile tech.

Reactions: Mobile Ranger
What is your least favorite repair to perform in the field?
To be quite honest, model s/x touchscreens. The job isn't hard. Most of us can do it in an hour flat (or less). What's rough is sometimes when we pull your decor trim (carbon fiber/wood/etc) it can sometimes break or crack. I love cars. I love Tesla's. I hate having to leave your vehicle worse than when I arrived. Sure, I'll order you a new glove box trim piece or whatever I broke, but just the thought I broke it and don't have a replacement bums me out. We can't stock every single trim piece. The SC's have it easy. It broke? Cool, walk 15 feet to the parts guy and get another one. Those pieces break, and I understand sometimes it's out of my control. It will eat at me if it happens especially on a Friday afternoon. It will kill my weekend. I care that much, maybe too much? Whoa, this is deep lol.

Once I have all the pieces off then it's smooth sailing.

Another repair is a simple one too. Charge ports. Not doors, the charge ports. We have to update the software before you can start using it. If something happens and it's unsuccessful (like the headlight software post just now) I now have turned your vehicle into a huge paperweight. You didn't do anything wrong, neither did I. It has happened to me twice. Their 12v was weak, but not failing yet. Then I did their charge port. Now the 12v goes bad. I can't update if the 12v is bad. Again, I feel horrible, but it happens. Customer had to call a tow truck and there goes my night. There I am, staring off into the sunset thinking what could I have done differently. The only thing I can do is learn and be more prepared next time (I have extra 12v's on me now lol)

Great question ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this! I love the passion, it makes me feel all warm and tingly :) (being serious here).

How can one schedule mobile support? I have only had one issue really, and I put in a support request through my account. I would have preferred mobile support, as the service center is about 40 miles from my home. I had no idea how to request mobile support.

Is it as simple as calling some number and explaining my issue vs putting in a support request through my account? Sorry for the basic question.

Thanks for doing this! I love the passion, it makes me feel all warm and tingly :) (being serious here).

How can one schedule mobile support? I have only had one issue really, and I put in a support request through my account. I would have preferred mobile support, as the service center is about 40 miles from my home. I had no idea how to request mobile support.

Is it as simple as calling some number and explaining my issue vs putting in a support request through my account? Sorry for the basic question.

As of the last update to Apple iOS Tesla app, you can now schedule mobile service right in the app. Otherwise, you call the nearest service center or the Tesla Support number and ask.

As of the last update to Apple iOS Tesla app, you can now schedule mobile service right in the app. Otherwise, you call the nearest service center or the Tesla Support number and ask.

Scheduling service in the app was the same as scheduling online, and I did not see in either case a place to request mobile support vs a service center appointment. The tesla website says that "mobile service is available in my area" so im still not sure how to request it. I have tried calling the support number but have been unable to get through any time I called (over 60 minute wait).

I figured I was missing something which is why I was asking.

Just checked and yes, I see that now. I was under the impression that the app could schedule mobile service but it does not. It would be nice to get Mobile Ranger's opinion on this, but I think you can schedule with the nearest service center and then convert to mobile service.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Just checked and yes, I see that now. I was under the impression that the app could schedule mobile service but it does not. It would be nice to get Mobile Ranger's opinion on this, but I think you can schedule with the nearest service center and then convert to mobile service.

I think there was confusion between Elon's tweet and what actually arrived and when it arrived. I think he said months ago that we'll be able to book SC appointments via the web and app, and that arrived. A few weeks ago he said that mobile service appointments was coming to both the car and the mobile app, but I don't think we've seen that yet. Hopefully in the first few 2019 builds that go out for wide release.

Either way, allowing us to book SC appointments via the web site and app is a great first step.

I was under the impression that technical support reassigns the request to mobile if in a mobile region and it can be done via mobile. I'll ask when I'm back to make sure, but I think that's how it's always been done?

I think it won't ever go to the Tesla app since not all repairs can be done mobile. Let's just say it existed. You see an opening for tomorrow at 10:00am. You schedule it. I get there, and your roof glass or seals need to be replaced. We can't do that safely by ourselves so now I leave? Maybe let you lock the time slot and then after an advisor reaches out to you to confirm the repair then it's finalized? Not sure. The SC and mobile service are 2 different beasts.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
There've been several prominent and prolific posting TMC members who went to work for Tesla, and when they did they went dark here. Thus we presume there is some employee agreement that prevents posting. That said, there've been several Tesla employees posting on Twitter and Reddit about Tesla recently. Some think those accounts are actually authorized to do that in some way.

Does Tesla have some type limitation on employee social media posts about the company, and if so, are you in violation?

--Woof!

There've been several prominent and prolific posting TMC members who went to work for Tesla, and when they did they went dark here. Thus we presume there is some employee agreement that prevents posting. That said, there've been several Tesla employees posting on Twitter and Reddit about Tesla recently. Some think those accounts are actually authorized to do that in some way.

Does Tesla have some type limitation on employee social media posts about the company, and if so, are you in violation?

--Woof!
Social media is encouraged. If you read any of my posts I'm not releasing any sensitive information. I don't think Tesla will mind a post about me getting scared and laughing about a mouse jump scaring me lol.

I've seen some posts where people are just copy and pasting their company emails, especially the ones from Elon. I'm sure those are the ones that go dark. We sign NDA's. It's a little confusing here sometimes. If you ask me if there is a difference in the rear motors for a Model 3 LR or Performance I wouldn't answer, but tesla made our parts books available to the public which led to a lot of users here figuring out the correct answer on their own. I'm simply here to share my experience and perspective as a Mobile tech. I don't represent Tesla. I'm sure if the admins here feel I am a risk to their forum then I'll leave if I'm asked to, no questions asked.

Is there a bug database the field can see and/or add to? It seems the only way to get attention to an issue is to tweet Elon. As many seemingly trivial software bugs continue to exist for years (e.g. audio goes off pause/mute every time a door is opened), we've lost faith that Tesla has a bug/feature list other than the ones Elon cares about.

Reactions: GSP and Hank42