Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Ranger here, ask me (almost) anything!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker here and on reddit /teslamotors. You guys have a great community and really good info here. Love what you guys are doing and seeing cars from unplugged performance and other mods being done are pretty amazing.

Wanted to do a quick AMA for today. No company secrets, drama, or inside info (Duh, NDA). Some of you haven't had the chance to speak to a Mobile Ranger, maybe that's a good thing lol. I will do my best to answer questions you'd ask me in person if I were there working on your vehicle, or if you saw me at a coffee shop and wanted to chat while I'm pumping myself full of caffeine.

Be gentle, I might have to help you in person one day :)

Hey there. Thanks for doing this.

Assuming mobile service is available in a geography, how is priority given to assign an appointment to mobile service vs. a service center visit.
The service advisors schedule as the emails come in. If you emailed a request for service and it is something mobile can do, then it is then forwarded to the closest Mobile Region depending on your address and the advisor then reaches out to you to schedule.

We don't triage or pick who we want to email. They go in order as they are recieved

I have two sets of wheels for my Model S - both 5 yrs old. Old style TMPS, but failures in both sets. Do I need replace the sensors, or is it possible to replace a battery in them? Will I need to do this every ~5 yrs?
As of today, Mobile doesn't have those handsets to reprogram or troubleshoot TPMS, but who knows, that can change in the near future. Something changes here daily lol. If they need batteries or need to be replaced then a service center visit is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a small but irritating rattle in my front driver's side door. Is this something that can be addressed with a mobile visit or do I need to bring it in to the service center, which is unfortunately 40 miles away?

What's the spread of work requests for any given time period? Mostly wheel replacements?

And what's the rarest/craziest service call you've had?
The repairs come in waves. Let's just say there was a time where someone/thing at the factory was over tightening the rear Model 3 license plate screws and causing the inserts to strip or spin. For a few weeks I was replacing inserts only lol. What I like about Tesla is we catch it, change the procedure, and now I rarely have to replace them. Normal frequent repairs are wearable items, charge port doors, MS handles, key fobs, etc.

Craziest call? It was weird. Customer had a Model x that barely operated the 12v system. I go there to replace the 12v. Still doesn't want to power things up that well (slow falcon doors, symptoms of a bad 12v). Battery I put on says 3v. I put another one on, maybe it was a bad new battery? Nope. Second one is at 3v also. I jump start the 12v and it drains rather quickly. Call my Lead Technician. He's stumped as well. Why is there a draw? Upon further investigation I found rodent droppings and a nest. Rat comes out and almost bites me. Geez! Car had to be towed. I later found out the harness what's completely chewed up and destroyed.

I have a small but irritating rattle in my front driver's side door. Is this something that can be addressed with a mobile visit or do I need to bring it in to the service center, which is unfortunately 40 miles away?
Call us in! Some of those door panel clips break and we can replace on site. If we can't find it in that time frame, then unfortunately a service center visit is needed. At least we can try saving you a visit.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
About a month ago (Dec 1) I ordered a set of wheels and snow tires from the online store. As of today I still do not have my tires and my credit card has been billed. The order number is 322716.

Any way you could check the status on this order for me ?

What sort of qualifications does it take to become a service tech for Tesla? What kind of training do you go through?
Some of the same things a Tech company is looking for. Team work skills, communication, multi tasking, problem solving, etc. As far as a tech a basic automotive experience is needed. We have different levels for techs depending on experience. If you are entry level then you can apply for an entry level position or maybe even a tech assistant. If you went to community College or a trade school for automotive technology then you'd be brought in higher than an assistant. Strong electrical skills and concept of ohms law is really important. We're talking about HV batteries and the way the modules communicate and how to troubleshoot. A lot of troubleshooting is done with software.

Training is given the first few months as well. You can't become a mobile tech unless a master tech has watched you perform many repairs a mobile tech would do while at the shop AND they sign off on you.

Last edited:
About a month ago (Dec 1) I ordered a set of wheels and snow tires from the online store. As of today I still do not have my tires and my credit card has been billed. The order number is 322716.

Any way you could check the status on this order for me ?
Unfortunately we can't look that up. We aren't connected to the store. I even sent some customer info to my advisor and he couldn't find anything either.