Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Service Appointment for Rattles - Fix or Leave Alone?

Mobile Service Appointment for Rattles - Fix or Leave Alone?

• Fix the Intermittent Rattles

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Leave the Intermittent Rattles Alone

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a mobile service appointment this week to fix two intermittent rattles. One is in the front driver's side area of the black fabric-covered speaker grill cover near the windshield, and a second rattle is intermittent in the passenger side C pillar cover, which I have worked on myself.

Now that the weather is cooler, the dash rattle occurs less often. There's no question in my mind that the dash rattle will re-occur when the weather gets hot again.

I placed six small pieces of sound-deadening foam in the small headliner gap of the C pillar. That rattle now occurs less often, but I know my fix is not ideal (although the foam is extremely hard to see unless I point them out to a passenger).

My question is whether we should proceed with the repair of these rattles with the possibility that the repair might actually cause more rattles. I am aware that the dash rattle requires removing two other panels to allow removal of the dash speaker grill cover.

We also have a panel gap issue between the passenger-side doors that is scheduled to be addressed at this appointment.

We have a mobile service appointment this week to fix two intermittent rattles. One is in the front driver's side area of the black fabric-covered speaker grill cover near the windshield, and a second rattle is intermittent in the passenger side C pillar cover, which I have worked on myself.

Now that the weather is cooler, the dash rattle occurs less often. There's no question in my mind that the dash rattle will re-occur when the weather gets hot again.

I placed six small pieces of sound-deadening foam in the small headliner gap of the C pillar. That rattle now occurs less often, but I know my fix is not ideal (although the foam is extremely hard to see unless I point them out to a passenger).

My question is whether we should proceed with the repair of these rattles with the possibility that the repair might actually cause more rattles. I am aware that the dash rattle requires removing two other panels to allow removal of the dash speaker grill cover.

We also have a panel gap issue between the passenger-side doors that is scheduled to be addressed at this appointment.
I’ve had the same exact drivers side speaker grill rattle/ creaking and it is slowly driving me insane. Have taken it in twice with no fix. Have another SC visit scheduled in 2 days but I don’t have much confidence it will be resolved.

Mine seems to be intermittent with weather as well, like you’ve described. Is yours similar to this (it’s not always this loud but this was a good example of the creaking sound that I hear): https://photos.app.goo.gl/CjmZ4j7TdAatYb1o9

Update:

We made our mobile service appointment four seeks agowfor the rattles via the Tesla app. We made the appointment for a day during my wife's vacation week so that she could use my car for errands (I work primarily from home), and we would not need to rely on Uber credits. It was Tesla's decision to make the mobile service appointment rather that an service center appointment.

Well, the day before our mobile appointment, Tesla service called to change the appointment from mobile to a service center., because they have only one qualified technician to fix the rattles, and he works in the service center.

Now, we have to take the car in and receive Uber credits since my wife will be back to work and she will need my car for her commute. Had there been more conversation, or questions asked by Tesla when the appointment was originally made, then we could have done a service center appointment during my wife's vacation week when it would have been more convenient for us.

Another example of an area in which Tesla customer service needs improvement.

It’d have been appreciated if we had been informed of this by Tesla service four weeks earlier, rather than in the afternoon of the day before the appointment.
I agree that is fairly annoying. I attempted to have a mobile tech come out for mine and was told immediately that rattles were something they only did at the SC...lucky me a new SC opened within 10 minutes of my house right after that.

Reactions: tvad
We had our Service Center appointment yesterday. I was the first customer (light holiday traffic) and was promptly greeted by an employee who checked me in on a clipboard. Then, I was further "checked in" by the technician who would be doing the repairs.

The technician and I discussed the two rattles and the passenger side door gap. He was familiar with the dash rattle, and even though the rattle was not presently occurring, he said he would fix it anyway. I did show him a video of the rattle.

Our C Pillar Cover rattle was an issue with which he was not familiar, and since I did my own "fix" by placing several thin foam pieces between the cover and the headliner which inhibit movement of the cover and significantly reduced and/or eliminated the rattle, he said he would not repair this rattle. So, the underlying cause of this rattle remains, but my jerry-rigged solution works well enough.

Initially, he said the door gap was a due bill situation, and at just over 3,000 miles and four months past delivery, we were outside the time window for this repair, but he quickly segued to saying he would fix it.

The technician then introduced me to the service advisor to whom I also provided the video. The service advisor told me she would text me when the car was ready. I received a $100 Uber voucher for the day. At first, the voucher showed as "invalid" in the Uber App, and I had to go back to the service advisor to create a new voucher. Since we live relatively close to the service center (within 10 miles), I used Uber Black.

About four hours later, I received a Tesla iPhone notification that service was complete. When I tried to pull up the notification for more details, I couldn't locate it. I did not receive a text from the service advisor. With no way to contact the advisor, I was stumped for about 20 minutes because my iPhone Tesla app showed the car was still being serviced.

After about 20 minutes, my iPhone Tesla app returned to normal, and it showed a new location of the car. I had heard her tell a customer ahead of me that his car would be at an off site parking lot when it was ready to be picked up. She did not give this off-site delivery info to me, but since I overheard her conversation with the other gentleman, I decided to take Uber to the location in the App.

The address was an old, empty Ikea store. In the front parking lot were two dozen or so Tesla cars and an unmanned white Tesla podium. I surmised this must be the place, and I thanked the Uber driver. There was no Tesla employee to be seen. There were no people except for me and a young security guard who was sitting 50 yards away in the shade of the building. I asked if anyone from Tesla was there. No, he said.

I spotted our car.

OK. I guessed I was just supposed to get in our car and go home. Since I had my iPhone, the door opened when I pulled the door handle. The key card was in the cupholder. I wondered if the car had been unlocked the whole time with the key card in the cupholder. The car cannot be locked as long as the key card is inside, right? That was odd. Maybe the nineteen year old kid was supposed to thwart a theft?

There was a pre-printed card hanging from the rear view mirror thanking us for using Tesla service.

The dash had been fixed. I could tell because tapping on it near the location of the rattle now produced a deadened sound rather than a plasticky rattle. We won't know for a while if this rattle is definitely fixed, but so far it seems as though it is.

The door gap was fixed.

What's the take-away?

The problems seem to have been repaired.

The delivery experience...from notification of completion to pick-up was extremely odd. It is wildly out of line with common service experience of other brands where a customer is greeted, provided with an invoice of work performed, and shown to their car...and perhaps someone explains what was done during the service. If I was asked by Tesla for comments, I would suggest Tesla hire an experienced automobile customer service executive to improve this area of the business.

Last edited:
We've had Mobile Service fix one back passenger door rattle. We recently had three other fixed at the Service Center, over something like 5 days (including a weekend). Everything is very quiet now. I wouldn't worry about Tesla making it worse. But they did insist on test drives, making intermittent rattles tougher to prove.

We had our Service Center appointment yesterday. I was the first customer (light holiday traffic) and was promptly greeted by an employee who checked me in on a clipboard. Then, I was further "checked in" by the technician who would be doing the repairs.

The technician and I discussed the two rattles and the passenger side door gap. He was familiar with the dash rattle, and even though the rattle was not presently occurring, he said he would fix it anyway. I did show him a video of the rattle.

Our C Pillar Cover rattle was an issue with which he was not familiar, and since I did my own "fix" by placing several thin foam pieces between the cover and the headliner which inhibit movement of the cover and significantly reduced and/or eliminated the rattle, he said he would not repair this rattle. So, the underlying cause of this rattle remains, but my jerry-rigged solution works well enough.

Initially, he said the door gap was a due bill situation, and at just over 3,000 miles and four months past delivery, we were outside the time window for this repair, but he quickly segued to saying he would fix it.

The technician then introduced me to the service advisor to whom I also provided the video. The service advisor told me she would text me when the car was ready. I received a $100 Uber voucher for the day. At first, the voucher showed as "invalid" in the Uber App, and I had to go back to the service advisor to create a new voucher. Since we live relatively close to the service center (within 10 miles), I used Uber Black.

About four hours later, I received a Tesla iPhone notification that service was complete. When I tried to pull up the notification for more details, I couldn't locate it. I did not receive a text from the service advisor. With no way to contact the advisor, I was stumped for about 20 minutes because my iPhone Tesla app showed the car was still being serviced.

After about 20 minutes, my iPhone Tesla app returned to normal, and it showed a new location of the car. I had heard her tell a customer ahead of me that his car would be at an off site parking lot when it was ready to be picked up. She did not give this off-site delivery info to me, but since I overheard her conversation with the other gentleman, I decided to take Uber to the location in the App.

The address was an old, empty Ikea store. In the front parking lot were two dozen or so Tesla cars and an unmanned white Tesla podium. I surmised this must be the place, and I thanked the Uber driver. There was no Tesla employee to be seen. There were no people except for me and a young security guard who was sitting 50 yards away in the shade of the building. I asked if anyone from Tesla was there. No, he said.

I spotted our car.

OK. I guessed I was just supposed to get in our car and go home. Since I had my iPhone, the door opened when I pulled the door handle. The key card was in the cupholder. I wondered if the car had been unlocked the whole time with the key card in the cupholder. The car cannot be locked as long as the key card is inside, right? That was odd. Maybe the nineteen year old kid was supposed to thwart a theft?

There was a pre-printed card hanging from the rear view mirror thanking us for using Tesla service.

The dash had been fixed. I could tell because tapping on it near the location of the rattle now produced a deadened sound rather than a plasticky rattle. We won't know for a while if this rattle is definitely fixed, but so far it seems as though it is.

The door gap was fixed.

What's the take-away?

The problems seem to have been repaired.

The delivery experience...from notification of completion to pick-up was extremely odd. It is wildly out of line with common service experience of other brands where a customer is greeted, provided with an invoice of work performed, and shown to their car...and perhaps someone explains what was done during the service. If I was asked by Tesla for comments, I would suggest Tesla hire an experienced automobile customer service executive to improve this area of the business.
We’re there any details on your invoice that describe what the fix was? I’ve just picked my car up for the 3rd time where they “identified” the rattle source as actually being the steering wheel column. Was pretty quiet in ride along when I picked it up but just a day later the steering wheel housing and front dash speaker were creaking again.

I just want this thing fixed!

Update:

The front left dash rattle persists.

So, I used the same acoustic foam material I used on the C Pillar cover and wedged a piece in the gap between the front left A Pillar cover and the black speaker cover near the windshield. That seems to have done the trick. Perhaps I should apply for a service technician job at Tesla.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Update:

The front left dash rattle persists.

So, I used the same acoustic foam material I used on the C Pillar cover and wedged a piece in the gap between the front left A Pillar cover and the black speaker cover near the windshield. That seems to have done the trick. Perhaps I should apply for a service technician job at Tesla.
Have any pictures of your solution?

Have any pictures of your solution?
No pix because the foam is not visible in the gap.

This is the material I used. I folded the foam to double the thickness. I believe I found it on E-Bay many years ago.

IMG_7119.JPG