Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile service experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the 12 volt warning came on my dash two weeks ago I was dreading having to drive to Milford for the replacement. Not that the service there is not great (it is!), I just did not want to blow half a day. Lo and behold mobile service technicians! I scheduled online and yesterday at 4:00, Ed shows up at my house to replace the 12 volt and do a recall on the power steering bolts. Ed covers from Westerly, RI to Great Barrington, Ma, and all of Connecticut.

To say Ed was professional, polite, neat, knowledgeable and just a real nice kid is to be understating. I have NEVER had a better service experience anywhere in my 44 years of driving. I know this forum tends to draw lots of negatives about the car we all love, but my experience yesterday was exceptional! Bravo Ed!

I agree the Rangers are excellent at what they do. Every time Kevin has worked on my car the job was flawless, and on time. I wish the physical service centers operated on the carswith the same level of professionalism. Of the three instances where my Tesla was at a service center once it was damaged and left dirty, the other time the interior was left with scuffs and dirt smudges. Anytime I have the option of a Ranger I take it.

Ranger came home to repair my failed door handle. I was homeworking and right in the middle of an unplanned call when he arrived. Very kindly and quietly took my key and just did the repair. Excellent service
It was with their new mobile Tesla S modified with a full tool kit in the back.
Impressive car.

Great guy who I failed to ask his name.

My ranger in Ottawa Canada is 100% better than the service I got in Montreal. Ranger had to come and fix the issues the service center created. Service center in Montreal actually scratched my car the Ranger made a big stink about it and got Tesla to have the scratches fixed by a body shop. Car door stopped working and he drove 2 hours to get the parts and came back and fixed it same day in my work parking lot. To say I'm impressed with our local Ranger would be an understatement.

When the 12 volt warning came on my dash two weeks ago I was dreading having to drive to Milford for the replacement. Not that the service there is not great (it is!), I just did not want to blow half a day. Lo and behold mobile service technicians! I scheduled online and yesterday at 4:00, Ed shows up at my house to replace the 12 volt and do a recall on the power steering bolts. Ed covers from Westerly, RI to Great Barrington, Ma, and all of Connecticut.

To say Ed was professional, polite, neat, knowledgeable and just a real nice kid is to be understating. I have NEVER had a better service experience anywhere in my 44 years of driving. I know this forum tends to draw lots of negatives about the car we all love, but my experience yesterday was exceptional! Bravo Ed!

I concur, just had mobile service to replace the 12V in my Model S, as well as, the steering wheel bolt recall. The guy was awesome...

Jeff

Mobile service in Portland is fantastic. My commute between home and office is long. A big reason I went with Tesla is to avoid service as it's such a pain. I had a minor issue and they came to me. Didn't realize how great the benefit would be until I needed it. Another reason I'm a huge fan of Tesla.

Reactions: rycart
Had a great experience with Mobile Service a couple of months back for the power steering bolt recall. Arranged to meet at my office, got a call from him before he arrived and another one after. About 45 minutes later the work was done. Asked him a few general questions before he took off. Nice guy, seemed to really care. Will definitely schedule for the Mobile Service again when something comes up.

Just had my first experience with mobile service on my 2016 70D. Josh arrived on time, and even called me to let me know the exact time he'd be there. He was neat, friendly and professional. He came to my office. I showed him that the rear door handle wasn't working and, of course, it worked. He said that sensor failures can produce intermittent problems, so let's just replace it. Work was done in 30 minutes and he added air to my tires and topped of the washer fluid. Nice! I've never had a service experience that was this easy and convenient.

Making the appointment was not as simple, as I don't seem to have the ability to schedule mobile service through the app or the website. Once that's available, this process will be flawless.

Made sure I filled out the survey to let Tesla know how happy I was with the experience.

I also had my 12 V battery replaced by mobile service earlier this year and it saved me a 300 mile (one way) trip to the service center.

Prior to that I had the MCU fail and there was no way to drive the car to the service center. The ranger tried to get a replacement to install — they can do that in the field — but after a few days it hadn't arrived for pickup at the service center* so, rather than have me continue to be without a car, he picked up a rental car, dropped it off for me, and then trailered my car to the service center. When the work was done he would have brought my car back to me but instead I drove over the mountains in the rental and drove my car home myself.

*I was told that Tesla was validating a new batch of MCUs and wouldn't release them for use until the validation was done.

just had mobile service in San Diego a few weeks ago. Chris was amazing - early to the appointment (called first to let me know), professional, efficient, and most importantly - finally successful in eliminating the most annoying door rattle. the car had already been at the regular SC for 2 failed service attempts, one time leaving the car very dirty and a lot of grease and dirt scuffs all over the white arm rest and seats.

i don't think i'll need service again anytime soon, but when i do, i am going to request mobile service!!

btw, i did ask about the regular maintenance intervals -- mobile rangers can only do the "odd" # years (e.g., 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.). the even # years need to be done at the regular SC.

My rangers are great - very thorough and personable.
The parts department, however, is a hot mess.

I've had two visits where the ranger was given the wrong part by the parts department.
The firs time he had to drive back to the service center to pick up the correct part, the second time, they gave him the wrong part (again) and I haven't' heard back from them about the correct part.

I’ve had three ranger services in the three months I’ve had the car; all great experiences. This is an area that differentiates Tesla.

To the folks asking about scheduling, when I first called the local service center, I asked about mobile service and they passed me on to the mobile scheduler. Now I have his email address and I just shoot him an email and bypass the phone business.

Reactions: rycart
I also had my 12 V battery replaced by mobile service earlier this year and it saved me a 300 mile (one way) trip to the service center.

Prior to that I had the MCU fail and there was no way to drive the car to the service center. The ranger tried to get a replacement to install — they can do that in the field — but after a few days it hadn't arrived for pickup at the service center* so, rather than have me continue to be without a car, he picked up a rental car, dropped it off for me, and then trailered my car to the service center. When the work was done he would have brought my car back to me but instead I drove over the mountains in the rental and drove my car home myself.

*I was told that Tesla was validating a new batch of MCUs and wouldn't release them for use until the validation was done.
How much did it cost to have the ranger replace the battery? Was it more expensive than having it done at the SC?