Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile service, it’s amazing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to be honest I wasn’t sure about mobile service but just had a visit from Lee and what a gent was super fast and friendly.

I’ll be doing it again for sure!!

I would second that.

I have had them out twice (a door that needed re-aligning and a frunk actuator fail). Both appointments were pretty speedily arranged and expertly carried out. No bother.

Most definitely, Tesla's 'breakdown cover' is very limited.

Depending what you mean - their cover for actual breakdowns is adequate (though there's no cover for anything outside the warranty period and you then definitely need third-party cover). Their coverage is getting a contractor to tow the car to the nearest service centre (500 mile limit probably not an issue in the UK). There's not many faults on a Tesla where the AA man is going to fix it by the side of the road, so coverage is much the same.

Tesla's coverage for running out of juice seems to have been tightened up - it used to be that they'd cover you the first time and make you pay thereafter; the documentation now says it's entirely at your own expense. Still, a short tow to the nearest charging point (which is all anybody is going to do for you) is not going to be that expensive and it's just a matter of whether you feel the need to insure that risk, bearing mind that most people never run out.

The one area where Tesla's coverage is weak is flat tyres. Exactly what they offer is unclear and inconsistent. At one point, if you happened to have a flat within 50 miles of a service centre, then support was great, otherwise you were on your own. The documentation implies that they'll now tow up to 50 miles to the nearest tyre shop, but they don't say that clearly, and even then it's not that much use if you get a flat far from home on a bank holiday weekend.

The one area where Tesla's coverage is weak is flat tyres.

That is basically the only reason I'd think of for a Tesla.

On my 12 year old BMW 7 series I needed breakdown 2 times in 6 years. Once for a flat battery at home (ironically would never be an issue for an EV) and a second time when the engine rubber coupling decided to fail (when the car was 10 yr old) and I got stranded 100 miles from home.

Both times they couldn't fix it and it was a tow to the garage.

Thankfully all the times I've had tyre punctures they were slow leaks that could be fixed by pumping up. Out of all my years of driving I was never stranded with the proverbial "flat tyre".

There was this one time when I was young and stupid I refueled my then petrol car with diesel, that was fun. Didn't have breakdown then and AA quite happily liberated me of £120 joining fee on the side of the road to tow me to a garage.

So I might not bother with cover at all, although its about £100 for 2 people and any number of cars, so not exactly a huge cost.

Bumped into a mobile service model S at fleet services earlier today, looks good in white with the tesla logo on the side.

IMG_2157.jpg

Reactions: vitesse
Thanks for reminding me - I need to work out if I need to suspend my very long AA recovery membership as our CPO 70D comes with the Tesla roadside assistance.

I had a cam belt tensioner fail at 70mph on the motorway in my Honda Prelude about ten years ago - that was fun! No long term damage was done, miraculously, but I had to be low-loaded back home from Birmingham. I've run out of petrol a couple of times and the AA helped out. I've never called them for a flat tyre as I've always had a spare. A very very long time ago I was on my way to Edinburgh for the Festival and it was pouring with rain and my Rover Vitesse windscreen wiper parallelogram linkage failed, it was impossible to see where I was going so the AA towed me Edinburgh from Sunderland.

The consensus here seems to be that flat tyres are the main concern?