Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Service question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having had my car for the best part of a year now this is the first time I have had to request a mobile service (smashed offside wing mirror). However hard I try I have been unable to put in the correct address as we do not have a house number and live on an unnamed road. It seems that you can’t even enter a post code for a search. I have had to use the nearest road it recognises (Banchory High Street).
Does the mobile ranger get in touch before the appointment so that I can give him the correct address?

Tony

Having had my car for the best part of a year now this is the first time I have had to request a mobile service (smashed offside wing mirror). However hard I try I have been unable to put in the correct address as we do not have a house number and live on an unnamed road. It seems that you can’t even enter a post code for a search. I have had to use the nearest road it recognises (Banchory High Street).
Does the mobile ranger get in touch before the appointment so that I can give him the correct address?

Tony
yes, just put in whatever you need to schedule the visit and then you can provide the correct address via text a bit later on.

Reactions: Tonybvi
Agreed.

I'm not a fan of the was home search boxes have been going generally, you start typing your address and have to filter though all those across the country with the same or similar names. Or in Tesla's case it starts with US locations. Minor issue I guess!

Tony

Yes, me too on that one. When I spoke with an engineer on the phone about the recent half speed charging bug I pointed out that the address I had submitted wasn't my real address because it wasn't accepted. He said I was the second person that day who had said the same thing to him. He said put it in with the fault description.

Reactions: Tonybvi and Roy W.
I found I couldn't find my street when I tried to book an appointment, but I could find a street with the same name located roughly 7 miles away. I used that to book the appointment, and then edited it and for some reason I could then choose the correct street. Go figure.

For what it's worth I was asked for the full address in an automated follow-up text so I assume as long as you book it in the vicinity it should be fine.

How badly smashed? If it's just the glass, they will sell you the part and send it in the post - it's an easy clip-in job. I paid £155 for a Model S glass (from Tesla, for the genuine article with heating and electrochromic etc. - you can get plain mirror on eBay for about £15).

The blue cover is fairly scratched but otherwise undamaged and I have just clipped it back on. The chrome underparts seem to be completely undamaged. The mirror glass is smashed and having had a very quick look (absolutely peeing down with rain at the time) it seems that a reasonable amount of the black plastic mouldings fixing the glass in place are broken and missing. When I have time I’ll have a look to see if I can simply replace the glass but I suspect it needs a bit more than that.
Apart from a potentially very expensive replacement job (still waiting for the text from Tesla) I am quite impressed that the outer casing survived not only being hit hard by a Transit wing mirror but also skidding a fair few metres down the tarmac road.

it seems that a reasonable amount of the black plastic mouldings fixing the glass in place are broken and missing.

I think (but only working from memory from some months ago) that those are part of the glass assembly: the fixed part with the tilt mechanism etc. is a plastic cylinder, then there's a circular clip on the back of the glass with 'fingers' that clip round the fixed cylinder.

But I might have it wrong, and also mine's a Model S rather than X.