Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Service Replacing 12V Battery [need to remove powered frunk kit?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Precisely my point regarding Hansshow Power Frunk: Even in the event of a loss of 12V, all by my lonesome, I have immediate access to my emergency equipment. In addition to the Li-ion jumpstarter, I store a 1st aid kit, a tire repair kit&inflator, lug wrench, jack&pucks, paper towels, nitrile gloves, mobile charging cable with all the 240V adapters and a bottle of Invisible Glass in a ziplock bag. No sense in standing around waiting for someone else to respond, right?

As to your guess that aftermarket mods will void your warranty, if that happened due to a Power Frunk, I would speak with the SC Manager and cite Elon's own words to Sandy Monroe that their 'use of a 12V lead-acid battery is an inherent defect in their cars.' If that doesn't work, then I'd cite the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Law. I suspect you'll get your free battery.

People always want to trott out magnuson-moss, but that doesnt help you if the part that fails could have been caused by something you did. An aftermarket frunk kit drawing power from the 12V "could" cause the battery to fail, so magnuson-moss will not help you in the slightest there.

Magnuson-moss says that they cant say "we are not going to cover this defect in your glass because you have a 12v aftermarket kit connected to your battery" (for example). Glass is not related to the 12v in any way, so magnuson-moss protects you. The frunk kit (or anything else) connected to 12v could cause the 12v battery to fail, so it doesnt protect you at all in that regard.

People always want to trott out magnuson-moss, but that doesnt help you if the part that fails could have been caused by something you did. An aftermarket frunk kit drawing power from the 12V "could" cause the battery to fail, so magnuson-moss will not help you in the slightest there.

Magnuson-moss says that they cant say "we are not going to cover this defect in your glass because you have a 12v aftermarket kit connected to your battery" (for example). Glass is not related to the 12v in any way, so magnuson-moss protects you. The frunk kit (or anything else) connected to 12v could cause the 12v battery to fail, so it doesnt protect you at all in that regard.[/QUO

I think it does matter when the CEO admits on video that the use of a part or piece of equipment was stoopid and shoulduh never been done. That's whats called "prima facie" evidence in court. But, don't stop there: before Covid locked everyone in their homes, folks were buying electronic adapters to run all sorts of devices off the 12V power supply - not just laptops - printers, refrigerators/coolers/electric cup heaters - all drawing lots more power than the occasional up&down draw of the Power Frunk. One could reasonably claim that the heavy Power Hatch on my Y uses more 12V power than that lightweight aluminum Frunk.

Regardless of warranty coverage, you have stated that you wouldn't install ANY aftermarket device on your car. Fine. Do as you want with whatever you own. No one else should care. I certainly don't - go ye in peace, my brother!

I think it does matter when the CEO admits on video that the use of a part or piece of equipment was stoopid and shoulduh never been done. That's whats called "prima facie" evidence in court. But, don't stop there: before Covid locked everyone in their homes, folks were buying electronic adapters to run all sorts of devices off the 12V power supply - not just laptops - printers, refrigerators/coolers/electric cup heaters - all drawing lots more power than the occasional up&down draw of the Power Frunk. One could reasonably claim that the heavy Power Hatch on my Y uses more 12V power than that lightweight aluminum Frunk.

Regardless of warranty coverage, you have stated that you wouldn't install ANY aftermarket device on your car. Fine. Do as you want with whatever you own. No one else should care. I certainly don't - go ye in peace, my brother!

I’m not sure which Video you are referring to. But what Elon says online doesn’t always align with what an SC might do. And usually the SC wins (by default) even if not legal or agrees with Elon. Not usually worth going to court over. And best just to avoid it.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I’m not sure which Video you are referring to. But what Elon says online doesn’t always align with what an SC might do. And usually the SC wins (by default) even if not legal or agrees with Elon. Not usually worth going to court over. And best just to avoid it.
You're a veritable fount of information and advice, so I assumed you kept up with all things Tesla. Here's the link to the video. Enjoy!