Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Starlink Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twitter 3/3/22 @elonmusk:

Updating software to reduce peak power consumption, so Starlink can be powered from car cigarette lighter.​
Mobile roaming enabled, so phased array antenna can maintain signal while on moving vehicle.​

Ordered the new Starlink RV service the same day it was announced, today was my first opportunity to try it out. Easy set up, 71mBs download / 12mBs upload at a campground near Merritt, British Columbia. Wow.

3A68863D-33A5-4338-A8C4-43824A1E9D4E.jpeg

OT I realize, but for those towing, the default when you get hooked up is for tow mode to be on. However you can go into the interface and turn it off - that'll get you access to autopilot while towing.
I screwed up my Tweet! I said “Tow Mode” and I meant to say “Trailer Mode”. Darn. Just to be clear, “Tow Mode” is for when your car is disabled and needs to be towed. “Trailer Mode” is used when the car is towing something.

I do understand that it is possible to turn off Trailer Mode when hitched up to a trailer, but according to Tesla that is not a good idea. From the X manual, quote:
Warning
Under no circumstances should you exit Trailer Mode when towing a trailer. Doing so can cause serious injury and/or death.

Also, I suspect that when hitched up but with Trailer Mode off the trailer turn signals and brake lights may not work. Not sure, I’ll try to test that at my campground (not on the road!).

From the X manual:

DB3B9BE4-6A94-4C0C-B942-C2D6102C1B8C.jpeg

Last edited:
So far I have used my Starlink at two locations. I am at latitude 51N.

In both locations the dish automatically adjusted to slant facing within a degree or so of true north. I had expected it to slant south (since I am close to the northernmost limit of Starlink service, see small blue bar showing my location on the map below). But apparently that is outdated thinking, from the days when receiver dishes had to be physically pointed at the signal source, and Starlink uses a phased array antenna.

51AB0B76-0F7D-4F31-97DD-2B5E86EF5A09.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
So far I have used my Starlink at two locations. I am at latitude 51N.

In both locations the dish automatically adjusted to slant facing within a degree or so of true north. I had expected it to slant south (since I am close to the northernmost limit of Starlink service, see small blue bar showing my location on the map below). But apparently that is outdated thinking, from the days when receiver dishes had to be physically pointed at the signal source, and Starlink uses a phased array antenna.

It’s still the case where the UT is pointed to maximize performance, it’s just that the ‘source’ is a set of fast moving satellites, not a geometrically fixed asset.

Your UT is pointing north because that’s still where the highest density of Starlink satellites are relative to you [even at your high latitude]; the UT is more or less pointing toward the aggregate source’s statistical peak.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Slash dot has an article indicating StarLink has received FCC approval for use in motion. No indication of a decision on the 12 GHz band And Dish.

Perhaps there will be a StarLink option on the CT.🙂

Only texting starting next year. Audio comes much later.. if at all
I was wondering how they were going to communicate on cell phone frequencies given that there's no overlap with Starlink satellite frequencies. Then I read that this cellular feature needs V2 satellites. So I guess they put cell hardware onboard. Combined with the laser communications stuff, that should produce a very resilient way of getting basic data around almost regardless of what happens on the ground. The downside is that the whole network will deorbit in a decade or so if not constantly replenished.

It would be interesting to know how difficult it is to adapt cell technology to such comparatively-high lag.

Next, they'll go after communications with spacecraft in orbit. Then they'll go for a deep space network. You'll be able to text the Mars colony. With as much as a 20 minute delay. Criminy, it'll be like sending telegrams again.

Oh, and I don't know if this matters, but T-Mobile has access to 4G at 600 MHz (band 71), which nobody else has. That's the lowest frequency available for cell phones across all technologies. I assume the lower the frequency the better, from a reliability standpoint.

Reactions: scaesare
Next, they'll go after communications with spacecraft in orbit. Then they'll go for a deep space network. You'll be able to text the Mars colony. With as much as a 20 minute delay. Criminy, it'll be like sending telegrams again.
I’ve always been of the opinion that Elon initiated the Starlink program with the long term goal of providing Earth to Mars and Mars to Mars comm. A secondary benefit will be generating a lot of revenue to partially fund Mars colonization.