Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile supercharger for track days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not having supercharging at most (all?) tracks out there I wondered if there was a better way. Does anyone bring a 240v generator or have other ideas for supercharging at these tracks? Driving 20 minutes across town (on average) to a supercharger is very inefficient.

Uh, 240v isn't supercharging. It pulls a LOT more power. (AC charging pulls around 11kW for the model 3. Supercharging pulls up to 250 kW. The biggest generator I can find listed at Home Depot is 19kW, which isn't close to enough to power a supercharger ... if it's even possible to run on only 240V)

No ideas other than keep pushing Tesla to put chargers at tracks / pushing tracks to install chargers.

Last edited:
Not having supercharging at most (all?) tracks out there I wondered if there was a better way. Does anyone bring a 240v generator or have other ideas for supercharging at these tracks? Driving 20 minutes across town (on average) to a supercharger is very inefficient.
If there is spare space somewhere at the track in your downtime, you could have some coal-roller drag you around the area for a bit, with high regen. Some soft shackles and a strong dynamic rope and it should be pretty safe through the tow hook (also do NOT use a standard tow hitch ball on the truck, which is not appropriate for any shock loads - use appropriate, safe, equipment). Just don’t run over the rope (I’ve learned my lesson with a different EV). Generally running over the rope should not be a problem if you are using max regen, though changing directions can be tricky. I ran over the rope because the EV had no power brakes any more since it was completely dead, and it was not regenerating either (all very difficult to deal with at night).

So you just need a friend with a truck (or really any vehicle able to tow the load) at the track and you should be good. ;)

I’ve never tried this, but I assume it would work fine. Not sure if there are any problems with this idea. Don’t blame me for the suggestion in any case... In theory it should be way faster than L2, and potentially as fast as a Supercharger at least at higher SoCs. Running over the rope would lead to major damage to your front bumper (I was lucky in my case since the EV had a very short bumper which simply flexed a little).

Not technically more efficient than driving across town, I suppose. Might be more convenient though!

A la this?

(Engineering Explained's video where he tows a Tesla behind a raptor to recharge it)
Yes. I had not seen this.

Really probably the best option. The times aren’t clear here, but it appears he added a couple % in just a few minutes of towing. So probably something like 50-75kW charge rate. Not bad and of course going a bit faster would increase that (up to the limit of regen which will be dynamically adjusted by the car, just as it does for Supercharging). Probably 30 minutes of dragging, maybe an hour for a more full day, would be all you’d need for the day.

Some have RV hookups to get +20-30mph charge rate but that's really not going to cut it very long either.
I remember seeing this before here on the forum. This is becoming very common at a lot of race tracks around the country. I would say talk with the management of the track you're going to and suggest it.

Here are some previous threads about this: