Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mobile vs wall charger?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
This was informative as I am also new and was wondering the same question as OP. I was either going to have the electrician install a standard 14-50 outlet or do the Tesla WC as he was trying to talk me into that.

Seems like the miles charged per hr would not be a deal breaker from a WC to the plug that comes with the car using the adapter to charge at 14-50. The only real benefit of spending the extra $550 is the cool factor but not much more if the added miles don't matter.
If the installation is outdoors the Wall Connector is the better option, fully weather rated. The Gen3 Wall Connector now comes with a 24 ft charging cord (Gen2 was 24 ft, Gen3 was originally shorter. The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector has an 18.5 ft charging cord.) The Gen3 Wall Connector supports load sharing (up to 4 WC on the same circuit.) The WC can be programmed to only recognize specific Tesla vehicles (no free loaders using your WC.)

dschultz

Nov 15, 2021
California
Cheapest solution: use your Leaf charger with the J-1772-to-Tesla adapter that comes with your car and dial down the charging current to 24 amps or less. Cost = $0
Easy solution: get 14-50 adapter for Tesla Mobile Connector that comes with your car and dial down the charging current to 24 amps or less. Cost = $45
Another easy SAFE solution: Replace 14-50 outlet with 14-30 outlet and purchase a 14-30 adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector. Cost = ~$100 (outlet and adapter)
BEST solution: Have a good electrician check your wiring and install a 14-30 or 14-50 depending on what the wiring can handle, then purchase the appropriate Tesla Mobile Connector adapter for the outlet.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Cheapest: I'll be selling the Leaf when the Tesla arrives so won't have Leaf charger anymore.
Easy: I think this is where I'll start.
Another & Best: Once I have the car and figure out what we need in terms of physical placement of the charger, I'll probably enlist my son (an electrician) for a father/son project to install a new outlet properly (or rewire the existing one, if it happens to be in the right location, which is doubtful.)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC