Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye 560 not working after Tesla FW Update 2018.48.12.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mobileye was the basis for AP1. The mobileye 560 is a collision, lane deviation and speed limit warning sytem. It uses a camera and the mobileye eyeq2 chip to detect traffic, lanes and read speed limits. It connects to the car and reads CAN data. I find that it makes me a safer driver and it has prevented me from rear ending someone because I got distracted. Obiously, if you have AP (AP1 used the EyeQ3 chip), you don’t need it.. see
The Evolution of EyeQ - Mobileye

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I’ll check it out. I just don’t understand why Tesla has to change the CAN data in these old cars. I going to cover the display so I’ll stop looking at it. Once I get a feeling that no more updates are coming, I’ll get it fix. Another $200. Thank you for staying in touch and your advice.

That link is a bit outdated. Mostly relevant. This should be more useful. Tesla - comma wiki

As a replacement for your Mobile eye you can just mount the eon on dash, and usb cable to the Giraffe/Panda. You wont get any assisted driving features. You will get warnings such as Lane Departure Warning, Collision warning, And driver alert. and any future implemented warning features.

Reactions: Mjsais
That link is a bit outdated. Mostly relevant. This should be more useful. Tesla - comma wiki

As a replacement for your Mobile eye you can just mount the eon on dash, and usb cable to the Giraffe/Panda. You wont get any assisted driving features. You will get warnings such as Lane Departure Warning, Collision warning, And driver alert. and any future implemented warning features.
Thanks for the info.

One of the main features I liked about the Mobileye is that it will disengage the Cruise Control on a collision warning or when getting too close to the car in front. It just actuates the brake switch, which enough for the Tesla to disengage cruise. Does the EON do that too? Also, Mobileye's automatic high beams are useful.

I’ll check it out. I just don’t understand why Tesla has to change the CAN data in these old cars. I going to cover the display so I’ll stop looking at it. Once I get a feeling that no more updates are coming, I’ll get it fix. Another $200. Thank you for staying in touch and your advice.
Probably the easiest solution might be to get a device to intercept the CAN speed signal and then rewrite it to the one that Mobileye wants to see. This way whenever Tesla changes the speed CAN signal, we could just update the device.

Thanks for the info.

One of the main features I liked about the Mobileye is that it will disengage the Cruise Control on a collision warning or when getting too close to the car in front. It just actuates the brake switch, which enough for the Tesla to disengage cruise. Does the EON do that too? Also, Mobileye's automatic high beams are useful.

The default system wont work like that. You could if you wanted.

However even the basic installation of the system I mentioned would give you a more advanced cruise control, which would not disengage your cruse as you get too close (several seconds space). It will start decelerating maintaining a safe distance of several seconds in theory will not crash into the car in front of you. It will also accelerate back to the speed you set once there is enough space. Keep in mind our pre-ap cars do not have electronic brakes so we are limited by regen stopping power which is why I say in theory you wont collide. The deceleration when felt should serve as an indication to give you plenty of time to activate your brakes which would disengage the system, so I don't feel it necessary to have the system disengage your cc just because you are too close to the car in front of you. The system is not meant to drive autonomously however I feel it is a great aid to my driving.

The system is up-gradable to provide a very similar system to AP1 and in some ways already currently exceed it. Join our discord server and find out more. Join the Comma.ai Community Discord!

The system is open, so if you have some development skills you can setup features you specifically want.

I noticed that the Mobileye in my pre-AP Model S stopped working a few months ago. I'm not located near a Mobileye dealer. Has anyone managed to update it for the new CAN? If not, is a Mobileye installer likely to be able to do this quickly if I head down to one? Thanks!