TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobileye retrofit for pre-autopilot MS

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brooklynrab, Sep 27, 2015.

1. brooklynrab

brooklynrab Member

Has any pre-autopilot MS owner (I.e., roughly before vin 50,XXX) done a mobileye retrofit lately? I'd love to get the auto high beam, collision warning and maybe adaptive cruise control (offered by some versions of mobileye), which are all absent from older MS's. I had hoped (as a tesla service advisor had surmised to me six months ago) that tesla would come out with some type of integrated support for us to retrofit these basic mobileye features (not the full autopilot package), but tesla seems to be giving us the finger. I have read in the past that when people who retrofit mobileye to their MS's, they end up being undone by tesla when the next software version is downloaded on the car, and mobileye scrambles for a fix that requires another trip to the retrofit dealer.
    ant details would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

There have been several Mobileye threads involving aftermarket installs on pre-autopilot Model S.

Here's one:
    Mobileye 560

3. SarasotaModelS

SarasotaModelS 2016 85D Midnight Silver/black pano, 21s, Next Gen

I have had multiple issues with my Mobileye 560 since I had it installed in January 2014. Currently, my visual "eye" display is malfunctioning; it shuts off and on randomly. I have to take it to an authorized Mobileye installer 80 miles away to have it replaced. I can also attest to the software issues involving Tesla software updates. Each time Tesla uploads a major software upgrade, the Mobileye subsequently fails which then has to be taken to an installer to have the new Mobileye update installed. What a royal pain!
    That said, I still like the safety features offered by Mobileye. I once almost rear-ended a vehicle while I was inputing a location into the GPS. The Mobileye promptly alerted me and saved me from a crash.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Considering that Tesla worked closely with Mobileye on the creation of Autopilot and advanced safety features, it's a real shame Tesla did not work with Mobileye to come up with an aftermarket product for pre-Autopilot cars to enjoy some of these features in a seamless way. It also seems that Mobileye is not very customer friendly based upon the hoops they make customers go through to update their products' software.

5. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

6. taurusking

taurusking Member

I concur with you.

I wish there was someone in Tesla working with your thoughts...I guess Tesla wants us to trade in our pre-autopilot cars for cars with auto pilot features

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I've sent this suggestion to Tesla a few times, but never received a response.

8. brooklynrab

brooklynrab Member

Taurusking is right -- they want us to trade in our older MS's.
    Brightonuk -- Mobileye actually offers full adaptive cruise control now, with cooperative car manufacturers (e.g., in the BMW I3). Its called AO-ACC. Again, tesla would have to honor what their sales rep told me before I bought (and what another guy at the service center said to me 6 months ago) --that they would find a way to allow us to retrofit to tesla's mobileye implementation in one way or another.
    It also hasnt helped us that Apple has been raiding Tesla's software developers, allowing no bandwidth if they DID want to help us out here.....
    So, I guess, I don't get Mobileye until Tesla decides to play ball. For what it is worth, I am not getting my wife an MX in protest, because I don't like the way Tesla played this issue - it doesnt give me a lot of confidence as to how they are willing to support older versions of their cars (forget about the terrible seams on my warped frunkhood, while that defect was still in production).....

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

I wish we hear from Tesla on this issue...IMHO likelihood is very small

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That seems absurd to me. You can't receive Mobileye firmware and install it yourself? If I had to take an aftermarket part back in for service every month or two when Tesla pushes updates, I'd probably be selling said aftermarket part.