Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye rips Tesla Autopilot, Chairman says it dumped Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't buy into this mindset. Tesla did not take it away. I drive with AP, and my situational awareness is on. What's not on is the constant muscular redirectioning of my car, and the intent focus down the road two cars ahead, trying to be aware of the traffic flow. If someone wants to turn off their mind while driving with AP, it can be done, maybe, but the chances go up, don't they?

Any time you get into a car, the chances go up. No one can blame Tesla. Of course, there are lawyers who will try, but the final blame lies on the driver. Always. Even L4, if you are using it contrary to directions.

You don't need to buy into this mindset for yourself, but you can't possibly think that other people are the same as you. Right?

I'm not the first person that felt that their situational awareness took a hit while using AP over long distances. When I say it took a hit I don't mean it went to zero, but just that it was not at a level I felt comfortable with. I wasn't noticing things I would normally notice.

I initially experienced this with AP version 7.0 and at that time I barely ever hands my hands on the steering wheel while using AP. I did have them close by, and I was with the mindset that anything that happened was my fault. To me in that moment the driving was clear cut level 2 semiautonomous driving per the NHTSA levels. I didn't intentionally turn my mind off, and I wasn't distracted by anything except the scenery.

I realized that I could still use AP, and I could still maintain an acceptable situational awareness if I had at least one hand on the steering wheel. Just that little bit of feedback helped. It still wasn't the same level of situational awareness as with TACC only, but was enough for the traffic situation around me. I tend to only use AP in either traffic jams or out in the middle of nowhere. Everywhere else I prefer TACC only. I like having the engagement with the road through the steering wheel when it's fast crowded traffic.

I know this happens to me, and some other people that have talked about it on TMC, but I don't know how wide spread it is. There are some people studying it so I might hit them up to see what they've seen. There is an study at MIT where they actually put a camera inside the Tesla to see the drivers behavior. So I'm curious about what they've found with Version 7/7.1.

I have to do it quickly though because with Version 8.0 it changes on a fundamental level. People won't be able to get away with not having their hands on the steering wheel for any real length of time anymore. So it completely changes the impact it can have on situational awareness. I don't really think it meets Level 2 anymore. It says you have to be alert and ready to take over, but it doesn't say anything about having to have your hands on the wheel.

I'm still going to upgrade to Version 8 because of the improvements to AEB, and I'll wait for a Level 3 car to go hands free.

Last edited:
Sure, if you get "lulled into a false sense of security" and feel you are not driving responsibly then please do adjust your driving (including use of AP). This is not really related to AP though. It's just what's causing your "distraction."

So similar to if you are prone to seizures with strobe lights etc. -- Don't play certain video games. There will never be a perfect system that involves humans. At least not perfect for everyone. Maybe AP is not for you. Have your tried TACC alone ? It's still pretty great.

The current AP system is an exceptional driver toolkit, and like any tool, almost all of what happens after picking up the tool is in the operator's hands. Some people will take to the tool, others may not learn to use it properly, and still others may never take to it.

I'm quite sure now that as long as human-driven cars are still out there, I will not trust a fully autonomous car without being able to intervene...

I can't buy into this mindset. Tesla did not take it away. I drive with AP, and my situational awareness is on. What's not on is the constant muscular redirectioning of my car, and the intent focus down the road two cars ahead, trying to be aware of the traffic flow. If someone wants to turn off their mind while driving with AP, it can be done, maybe, but the chances go up, don't they?

Any time you get into a car, the chances go up. No one can blame Tesla. Of course, there are lawyers who will try, but the final blame lies on the driver. Always. Even L4, if you are using it contrary to directions.

My situational awareness shifts somewhat. I spend somewhat less time focusing on my lane and the car right in front of me, and more time looking further ahead, sensing the flow of traffic around me and ahead of me and behind me - more strategic and less tactical if you will.

The car giving me that extra time means I'm more likely to see something coming, like the trailer stopped in the middle of the New Jersey Turnpike a couple years ago (right in the middle of the middle lane, with flashers on in the night. Coulda been pretty bad if someone wasn't paying enough attention.)

I feel like having more time for the larger picture means more overall situational awareness and more safety. I also generally do autopilot with a few fingers resting on the wheel to feel what the car is trying to do (always ready to hold it when things look iffy.)