Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye-update active cruise control now working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears the latest Tesla vehicle software, version 5.11, made changes in the CAN bus messages for turn signals, and perhaps others as well. I just had my vehicle's annual service performed on Wednesday, which included updating the software from 5.9 to 5.11. On the drive home, the MobilEye Lane Departure warning sounded off every time I changed lanes, even with the turn signals on.

I checked with the install tech, who checked with MobilEye tech support. This is what he reported:

"Looks like a couple weeks minimum for the software update from Mobileye, they have been getting calls today from other dealers with same issue. They also said it may not be receiving brake signals as well.

For now you can turn off the lane departure by pushing the center button on the display three times or until it shows the lane departure screen, then use the left button to turn it to zero.

That's the best we can do for now, once they release an update we can get the vehicle in to recalibrate the system and adjust the speed as well."

As I stated a few months ago, I find the MobilEye system not well calibrated for use in a performance car like the Model S. It goes off far too often to be useful and has become "the boy who cried wolf" warning system in my car. I've spoken to the MobilEye National Sales manager about it and he has not offered anything to improve the system and was frankly a bit arrogant about my concerns. So, I have contacted my installer (Al & Eds here in Los Angeles) and have scheduled the system to be removed from my car. I really hope that if Tesla does decide to ingrate it in the car they do a much better job at calibrating it to the performance of the Model S.

Specifically what is it that makes this unusable for a Model S? I've had it for over a year and especially love the automatic High beam control. I live in the hills with lots of deer and this keeps my brights on for maximum time. Also, lane deviation is great and never sounds unless you are the kind of driver who cuts corners or does not signal lane changers. Same goes for following distance, if you tailgate it will alert. I've only had collision avoidance go off once an am glad it did. I have not found anyone willing to help me test the pedestrian collision warning. The only real annoyance is that while maintaining a safe following distance there are many jerks who will jump into that space causing the ding to sound. I agree that a Tesla integrated product would be better, but that is for future cars, not mine. It may well not be for you, but I think it is a great safety feature for most drivers

The only real annoyance is that while maintaining a safe following distance there are many jerks who will jump into that space causing the ding to sound.

That is why I have no interest in an ACC system. In my experience the majority of drivers have no concept of what a safe following distance is and they often follow cars on the freeway at less than two car lengths distance. If over 99% of the vehicles on the road had ACC and the drivers actually used it as intended then it would be useful. But I don't expect that to be the case in my lifetime.

Specifically what is it that makes this unusable for a Model S? I've had it for over a year and especially love the automatic High beam control. I live in the hills with lots of deer and this keeps my brights on for maximum time. Also, lane deviation is great and never sounds unless you are the kind of driver who cuts corners or does not signal lane changers. Same goes for following distance, if you tailgate it will alert. I've only had collision avoidance go off once an am glad it did. I have not found anyone willing to help me test the pedestrian collision warning. The only real annoyance is that while maintaining a safe following distance there are many jerks who will jump into that space causing the ding to sound. I agree that a Tesla integrated product would be better, but that is for future cars, not mine. It may well not be for you, but I think it is a great safety feature for most drivers

This has been my experience also - I like the MobilEye system.

Has anyone had issues with their MobilEye since the 6.0 update?
Every time i change a lane my system makes it's warning sound, it only use to do it when the signal was not used..
No problem with V6.0, but I had this problem when switching to V5.11. If you came from before V5.11 to V6.0, then you can get a software update from Mobileye. Tesla changed the CAN signals at V5.11.

On a more serious note I have noticed that my Mobileye speed in off by 6-7mph once I get over 20mph it does not change till I hit 26mph and then it is showing my speed as 6 mph slower than I am traveling. @ 56 the mobileye displays 50mph @ 70 Mobileye shows 65mph.

This could present a real concern when the FCW is activated as the Mobileye thinks I am going 6 mph slower that I actually am and as it takes speed into consideration when computing the FCW distance. I would assume that the timing is going to be off by that amount along with the SLI (I have it set at 10mph over) and it always shows a slower speed than I am traveling.
I email Tech but have not heard back from them as yet.

Can someone explain what the Mobileye Floating Warning menus is on the Smartphone app and
the sub menu options?

Thanks

Actually, I have managed to test the pedestrian warning. Driving straight towards a flagman on a highway crew the system alerted just before I swerved, as directed, to avoid him. Very loud insistent beeps nearly scared the s**t out of my passengers, and me.

On a more serious note I have noticed that my Mobileye speed in off by 6-7mph once I get over 20mph it does not change till I hit 26mph and then it is showing my speed as 6 mph slower than I am traveling. @ 56 the mobileye displays 50mph @ 70 Mobileye shows 65mph.

I have noticed the same problem with the incorrect speed displayed on the iPhone. Today I submitted the following email via the Mobileye web site with issues I've noticed:

1. Speed on iPhone reads 6-7 mph slower than Speedometer (& iPhone GPS). Is this accounted for in Headway calculations?
2. Speed signs containing "Autos With/Trailor/Truck/55/Speed Limit" are detected as a 55 mph limit. California locates these right after "Speed Limit/65" so all freeways show up incorrectly as a limit of 55.
3. Bluetooth should have more minutes to pair.
4. iPhone app should accept press on blinking speed sign and stop blinking.

Is there new firmware to fix these problems?​

I have noticed the same problem with the incorrect speed displayed on the iPhone. Today I submitted the following email via the Mobileye web site with issues I've noticed:

1. Speed on iPhone reads 6-7 mph slower than Speedometer (& iPhone GPS). Is this accounted for in Headway calculations?

I have the same issue with the after-market MobileEye that I had installed recently on my Volt -- the speed displayed on the phone app is about 10% too slow so it shows 59 when I'm going 65. I believe there is a way to adjust for this during the installation process when the installer has a laptop hooked up to the MobileEye. See page 40 of the installer guide link below. I haven't bothered yet to take mine back to the shop yet.

Another issue, how does the MobileEye high-beam headlight feature work on the Model S? I haven't figured out how to get mine to control the headlights and I'm think that it just isn't installed right on my car. Do people just manually turn on the high beams and then the MobileEye automatically notices that and dims them momentarily when other cars drive by in the opposite lane?

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, you can download the Mobileye technical docs from their ftp site

ftp://ftpclient.mobileye.com/AWS/technical_files/Mobileye%20Manuals/

It's just a loosely organized directory tree of docs that isn't really meant to be seen by typical customers. For instance, here is an installer guide for Mobileye 5:

ftp://ftpclient.mobileye.com/AWS/technical_files/Mobileye%20Manuals/Mobileye%205/Mobileye%205%20-%20Technical%20Installation%20Guide_Rev_0.7.pdf

Last edited: