Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye will launch a self-driving taxi service in Israel in 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bladerskb

Senior Software Engineer
Oct 24, 2016
Michigan
Volkswagen, Intel, and Mobileye will launch a self-driving taxi service in Israel in 2019

They are about to shock the world!

Everything I have said in this forum have culminated to this very moment.

What they are doing with driving policy and reinforcement learning using a model based alpha zero technique is amazing!

They are about to prove why the're the undisputed leader in self driving tech! Their aggressive not conservative driving is unmatched.

When amon talked about a Turing test with someone blindfolded in the back seat and having them determine if the ride was driven by human or AI. I knew they were up to something, I didn't know it was this BIG!

Will update this thread as things develop!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: CarlK and ABC2D
Volkswagen, Intel, and Mobileye will launch a self-driving taxi service in Israel in 2019

What they are doing with driving policy and reinforcement learning using a model based alpha zero technique is amazing!
It's amazing no doubt.
But is it exclusive to them? What is the big edge apart from having a press release a year late than Waymo paid service?

It seems every major player is using RL for self-driving cars.
Searching around Open AI, Uber, Google, Mobileye, and Deepmind appear to be using it. (Waymo being under google OFC)

Missing the shock factor of this announcement Is this with Eye Q4? It just says "Mobileye AV Kit"

"Disappoint" might be a better way of putting it.

The Verge said:
And the project will start in early 2019 with a few dozen vehicles and scale to “hundreds of self-driving electric cars” by 2022.

This is just a prototype fleet, will probably have a massive server installed in the car, loaded with buggy dev software and remote-piloted through anything more complex than a fork in the road. They are years behind Waymo.

Jaguar and Waymo are teaming up to make 20,000 self-driving i-Paces

Car Magazine said:
Today [March 27, 2018], Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) announced it’ll be partnering with Waymo in a long-term deal – and it should result in a 20,000-strong fleet of self-driving EVs in the first two years of production.

Reactions: croman
Wait...

And the project will start in early 2019 with a few dozen vehicles and scale to “hundreds of self-driving electric cars” by 2022.

Only hundreds of cars in 2022? Total? Globally? Or is Mobileye planning to launch in multiple cities, and/or supply the Mobileye AV kit to OEMs? If it’s literally just a few hundred cars in one city in 2022 — and that’s all Mobileye is planning to do — Mobileye is setting its sights surprisingly low. I was hoping it would be aiming to supply AV technology to millions of cars by then.

In 2019, will the cars have safety drivers? This wasn’t mentioned in the article. It seems only responsible to have safety drivers at least for the first 65 million miles, or whatever number is required to statistically demonstrate that the crash rate for the autonomous vehicles is lower than the rate for human drivers. So, I hope there will safety drivers initially.

Same for Waymo, unless they have already done enough miles to have good statistical evidence.

It's amazing no doubt.
But is it exclusive to them? What is the big edge apart from having a press release a year late than Waymo paid service?

It seems every major player is using RL for self-driving cars.
Searching around Open AI, Uber, Google, Mobileye, and Deepmind appear to be using it. (Waymo being under google OFC)

Missing the shock factor of this announcement Is this with Eye Q4? It just says "Mobileye AV Kit"

Yes this system uses 4x eyeq4. Mobileye is the only one I know that has demonstrated RL actually working in sdc in though urban environment. I'm excited to see where this goes. Waymo isn't actually doing a public launch this year.

They are about to prove why the're the undisputed leader in self driving tech! Their aggressive not conservative driving is unmatched.

When amon talked about a Turing test with someone blindfolded in the back seat and having them determine if the ride was driven by human or AI. I knew they were up to something, I didn't know it was this BIG!

Will update this thread as things develop!

So, while it sounds like a press release light on detail, I would remind you of several reasons Mobileye and Tesla parted ways. Mobileye insisted on ownership of data returned by vehicles and also did not like how “aggressive” Tesla was in its deployment of the tech.

Additionally, one needs to seriously look at any effort at level 4 and 5 automation executed on an ICE platform with an even more critical eye as the logistics of refueling and complexities of vehicle systems controls add even more challenges to an all ready complex problem.

Interestingly, from a journalism POV, any mention of Tesla as competition was missing which makes this smell of misdirection and sponsorship from sources looking to steer an agenda rather than report goings on the the industry on progress re autonomous driving.

We shall see.

Fire Away!

Reactions: CarlK
Volkswagen, Mobileye and Champion Motors to Invest in Israel and Deploy First Autonomous EV Ride-Hailing Service | Intel Newsroom

The Volkswagen Group will provide the electric vehicles (EVs) and bring in its in-depth knowledge and competency about design and deployment of user-centered mobility services. Mobileye will provide its level-4 AV Kit – a turn-key, driverless solution comprised of hardware, driving policy, safety software and map data. Champion Motors will run the fleet operations and control center. Together, the three companies will add the mobility platform and services, content and other MaaS tools, ensuring a seamless rider experience in the deployment of a full-stack MaaS offering.

Oooo, three companies working together seamlessly on a cutting edge project.

Development will begin in early 2019 and roll out in phases reaching full commercialization in 2022

This is going to be fun to watch.

Hang on
This is a press release to say they will start development next year?
Definitely shock the world material.

Also if it’s VW supplying cars they’ve got to actually make a long range BEV instead of just press releases for it. You know, bring their “years of experience” delivering EVs that people want to buy.

I’m not holding my breath

• Funny
Reactions: Anner J. Bonilla
Volkswagen, Mobileye and Champion Motors to Invest in Israel and Deploy First Autonomous EV Ride-Hailing Service | Intel Newsroom

Oooo, three companies working together seamlessly on a cutting edge project.

This is going to be fun to watch.

That makes a lot more sense they start development in early 2019.

Yes this system uses 4x eyeq4. Mobileye is the only one I know that has demonstrated RL actually working in sdc in though urban environment. I'm excited to see where this goes. Waymo isn't actually doing a public launch this year.
Since you seem to be hook to any mobile eye news. Eyeq5 is delayed right? Initially it was suppose to be sampled in august. Haven't heard anything else since then and now you mention they are using eyeq4 when they should be using their eyeq5 which was suppose in 2019 to be ready for this purpose for commercial usage in 2020.

Reactions: croman and J1mbo
The first rule of the autonomous vehicle contest is that a participating company must claim imminent release. This situation is partly Musk's fault.

I would put Mobileye somewhat ahead of Tesla as far as publicly demonstrating competence.

Wait...

Only hundreds of cars in 2022? Total? Globally? Or is Mobileye planning to launch in multiple cities, and/or supply the Mobileye AV kit to OEMs? If it’s literally just a few hundred cars in one city in 2022 — and that’s all Mobileye is planning to do — Mobileye is setting its sights surprisingly low. I was hoping it would be aiming to supply AV technology to millions of cars by then.

In 2019, will the cars have safety drivers? This wasn’t mentioned in the article. It seems only responsible to have safety drivers at least for the first 65 million miles, or whatever number is required to statistically demonstrate that the crash rate for the autonomous vehicles is lower than the rate for human drivers. So, I hope there will safety drivers initially.

Same for Waymo, unless they have already done enough miles to have good statistical evidence.

There were about 25,000 taxi drivers in Israel in 2017. Conservatively allowing for 3 drivers per car, that's 8,333 taxis.
999 (the maximum possible value of hundreds) out of 8,333 taxis would be 12% of the current market. Given that the autonomous taxis should enjoy a massive competitive advantage, and should expand the taxi market significantly, hundreds of cars doesn't seem very ambitious.

OP is on to something. Urban self driving cars are on the way. Exact date to be determined. Believe the it is inevitable that this will be the way to get around in cities. Just look at Uber. The cars are dispached via computer, and the driver mearly sits there staring at a smart phone on the dash to tell him where to turn to get to the preprogramed destination. Determines the fee and automatically charges it to the passengers account. It then gathers satisfaction data from both driver and passenger. Driver does relatively little except watch for traffic, press gas and brake and turn the steering wheel when necessary.

Initially it will only be possible when every street has been well mapped and local customs understood.

I still believe that Tesla will be the first to offer automatious driving from coast to coast and even country to country.

Hang on
This is a press release to say they will start development next year?
Definitely shock the world material.

Also if it’s VW supplying cars they’ve got to actually make a long range BEV instead of just press releases for it. You know, bring their “years of experience” delivering EVs that people want to buy.

I’m not holding my breath

They are not starting development. They have been developing for a while now and have the most impressive system ever demoed to the press. And they are trying to perfect it using Turing test. If they do I'm sure they will allow customers to record video unlike the other pilot programs you see. This is not a pilot program. This is some exciting stuff. Israel is literally one of the hardest modern areas to drive in and knowing amon I know hes not creating some system that is static to a location but a system that is very much adaptable!

That makes a lot more sense they start development in early 2019.

Since you seem to be hook to any mobile eye news. Eyeq5 is delayed right? Initially it was suppose to be sampled in august. Haven't heard anything else since then and now you mention they are using eyeq4 when they should be using their eyeq5 which was suppose in 2019 to be ready for this purpose for commercial usage in 2020.

They are currently using eyeq4. They might switch to eyeq5 next year when its ready and more than a sample. Remeber this is not a pilot program, this is the real deal.

Plus theres no diff between eyeq4 and eyeq5 other than more tflops and being an open system for other manufacturers. It's has the same vision capabilities and accuracy. So why would they use a eyeq5 sample? if mobileye were to make any vision improvements from now till next end of next year for eyeq5 launch, it would be an incremental improvement and they can push that update to eyeq4.

They are not starting development. They have been developing for a while now and have the most impressive system ever demoed to the press. And they are trying to perfect it using Turing test. If they do I'm sure they will allow customers to record video unlike the other pilot programs you see. This is not a pilot program. This is some exciting stuff. Israel is literally one of the hardest modern areas to drive in and knowing amon I know hes not creating some system that is static to a location but a system that is very much adaptable!

They are currently using eyeq4. They might switch to eyeq5 next year when its ready and more than a sample. Remeber this is not a pilot program, this is the real deal.

Plus theres no diff between eyeq4 and eyeq5 other than more tflops and being an open system for other manufacturers. It's has the same vision capabilities and accuracy. So why would they use a eyeq5 sample? if mobileye were to make any vision improvements from now till next end of next year for eyeq5 launch, it would be an incremental improvement and they can push that update to eyeq4.
How do you know? Where do you get that information from except MobileEye themselves?

tumblr_oocvanoKYK1w4o831o1_540.gif

dumbledore_death_slow.gif