Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye's taxonomy to replace the SAE Levels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobileye published a blog that details their new proposed taxonomy for autonomous driving that they introduced at CES.

They propose 4 axes:

(i) Eyes-on/Eyes-off
(ii) Hands-on/Hands-off
(iii) Driver versus No-driver
(iv) MRM requirement

You get 4 categories that can be actual products:

1) Eyes-on/Hands-on: this category covers all the basic driver-assist functions. The driver is still responsible for the entire driving task while the system monitors the human driver.
2) Eyes-on/Hands-off: this is a driver-assistance function where the driver’s hands can be off the steering wheel while the system takes control of the driving and the driver supervises the system within a specified Operational Design Domain (ODD).
3) Eyes-off/Hands-off: the system controls the driving function within a specified ODD without the human driver needing to supervise the driving. Once the ODD comes to an end, and if the driver does not take back control, the system is able to conduct a full MRM and stop safely on the shoulder of the road.
4) No Driver: when there is no human driver present, say in a Robotaxi, the role of the human driver is replaced by a teleoperator who can intervene to resolve non-safety situations.

An Eyes-off system should be governed by three principles: (i) usefulness, (ii) safety, and (iii) scalability.

Usefulness: A good Eyes-off system should operate in an ODD that enables prolonged and continuous periods of use such that going in/out from an ODD does not happen frequently.

According to this requirement, Mobileye sets the minimum useful ODD threshold to be freeways up to 80 mph, including the ability to navigate on-ramps and off-ramps.

Safety: A safe Eyes-off solution should have no systematic errors, i.e., an error that can be reproduced in a certain emergency situation that is within the system’s ODD.

Scalability: We believe the operational domain of a full Eyes-off/Hands-off vehicle can best be thought of as a stack of ODDs – starting from highways, then adding arterial roads, signaled intersections, unprotected turns and so forth, that eventually add up to autonomy everywhere.

Untitled design.png

Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
just a snippet from the article that sets context
"...this creates four product categories covering the entire spectrum of automated driving..." just to make it completely clear that it is actually referring to types of automated driving, not driver safety systems or a 1970era Honda :)

But the funny thing is - it then does this
"1) Eyes-on/Hands-on: this category covers all the basic driver-assist functions, such as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Lane Keep Assist (LKA). The driver is still responsible for the entire driving task while the system monitors the human driver (Level 1-2 according to SAE)."
which completely changes what it means to be not about automated driving at all

Now I'm really confused.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
That is not part of the original post. Is it in their plan or did you add it ?

I added it to explain what "system monitors the driver" means. "system monitors the driver" refers to a DMS. And the purpose of any DMS is to make sure the driver is alert and engaged. That's the whole point of monitoring the driver in a "eyes on/hands on" ADAS system.

If they just say "system monitors the driver" - it could be as simple as monitoring how someone drives and giving a warning when the driver sleeps off or crossing the line.

Yes, that is part of it. "system monitors the driver" can cover a wide range of DMS from simply alerting you when you cross the line in a lane assistance feature to a full DMS that makes sure you are keeping your eyes on the road.

But giving a warning when the driver sleeps off or crosses the line is still not on a 1970's Honda. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BrendonHolt
just a snippet from the article that sets context
"...this creates four product categories covering the entire spectrum of automated driving..." just to make it completely clear that it is actually referring to types of automated driving, not driver safety systems or a 1970era Honda :)

But the funny thing is - it then does this
"1) Eyes-on/Hands-on: this category covers all the basic driver-assist functions, such as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Lane Keep Assist (LKA). The driver is still responsible for the entire driving task while the system monitors the human driver (Level 1-2 according to SAE)."
which completely changes what it means to be not about automated driving at all

Now I'm really confused.

"eyes on/hands on" covers your basic driver assist systems that the SAE categorizes as L1 or L2. So this includes features like AEB, lane departure assist, cruise control, lane keeping, auto steer, TACC. These basic driver assist features are at the low end of "automated driving" since they only automate one basic task.

All the Mobileye categories are "automated driving". They cover the full spectrum of "automated driving" from your basic to your more complex. "eyes on/hands on" covers your very basic "automated driving" systems like AEB or TACC while "eyes off/hands off" covers your advanced "automated driving" that is fully autonomous driving.

Last edited:
Context here is important. Its very obvious that the context is in relation to driver assistance systems.
Thats what they call a bad definition.

MobilEye cares about MobilEye. Why would they care about anyone else ? Esp. they want to exclude Tesla from their definitions. Thats what all the competitors would do .... if Tesla came up with tiers they would look different !

These are commercial companies people - not charities (goes for Tesla too).

Reactions: pilotSteve
I added it to explain what "system monitors the driver" means.
I commented on theirs. Why would you add things ... how do you know your addition is correct ?

Judge the new tiers based on what they say - thats how you judge and review. Not by adding stuff not in the original.

Yes, that is part of it. "system monitors the driver" can cover a wide range of DMS from simply alerting you when you cross the line in a lane assistance feature to a full DMS that makes sure you are keeping your eyes on the road.
Yes - thats why their tiers are not that useful to actual drivers and potential customers of these features.

I like MobilEye and their approach ... but these tiers, though better than SEA levels (not hard !), aren't good enough to differentiate features offered at present by various companies.

FSD beta doesn't fit in to this taxonomy because MobilEye doesn't think beta systems should go out to customers. :p

FSD Beta would be a "eyes on/hands on" category.

I commented on theirs. Why would you add things ... how do you know your addition is correct ?

Judge the new tiers based on what they say - thats how you judge and review. Not by adding stuff not in the original.

Yes - thats why their tiers are not that useful to actual drivers and potential customers of these features.

I like MobilEye and their approach ... but these tiers, though better than SEA levels (not hard !), aren't good enough to differentiate features offered at present by various companies.

I don't see why it would be hard to differentiate between features. It is not hard to say if a feature is hands on or hands off or eyes on or eyes off.

FSD Beta would be a "eyes on/hands on" category.
Definitely not. Those are systems where the system monitors the driver (like AEB).
FSD is a beta version of one the other categories. Even if you took away the hands on requirement it wouldn’t be eyes on/hands off as that requires infrequent interventions. Hence the beta tag.

Because driverless cars don't solve any problems the world is actually facing right now, except for driver convieninece (oh, sad face emoji, I'd rather watch a you tube video than actually pay attention while I drive home). WHAT ever.
One of the goals with driverless vehicles is improved safety. Traffic injuries and fatalities are problems that the world faces every day. Reducing them would be a great benefit.

Sadly, intoxicated driving is still a problem. Driverless vehicles (L4+) would prevent crashes due to people sitting behind the wheel while intoxicated, saving both them and innocent road users.

It's arguable whether putting uber drivers, truck drivers, valet parking attendants, etc. out of work is a benefit to society. Those afffected likely will have a strong opinion on this.

Reactions: OxBrew
Definitely not. Those are systems where the system monitors the driver (like AEB).
FSD is a beta version of one the other categories.

Does FSD Beta currently require hands on the wheel and eyes on the road right now? If so, then it falls into the "eyes on/hands on" category. That category is not just for AEB, AEB is just an example that Mobileye gives. "Eye's on/hands on" is for any system that requires hands on and eyes on.

As I read the taxonomy, there is no place for something being a "beta" of a category. The categories are based on what the current system is capable of. Right now, FSD Beta requires hands on the wheel and eyes on the road so it falls into to "eyes on/hands on" category, regardless of how advanced the features may be. And if tesla removed the hands on requirement, then it would become a "eyes on/hands off" system.

That's the advantage of this new taxonomy. You simply define the system based on how the end-user is allowed to use it. If they are allowed to go hands-free but eyes on the roads, then the system goes in the "eyes on/hands off" category. if the user is allowed to go sleep in the car, then the system goes in the "eyes off/hands off" category. It is a user based taxonomy, not an engineering based taxonomy like the SAE levels.

Even if you took away the hands on requirement it wouldn’t be eyes on/hands off as that requires infrequent interventions. Hence the beta tag.

I disagree. If/when Tesla removes the hands on requirement, it would become a "eyes on/hands off" system. And if/when Tesla removed the eyes on requirement, then it would become a "eyes off/hands off" system but right now it is in the "eyes on/hands on" category.

Of course, removing the hands on requirement would require lower interventions so Tesla can't do it yet. But if Tesla did remove the hands on requirement, it would become, by definition, a "eyes on/hands off" system.

Last edited:
Reactions: OxBrew
Does FSD Beta currently require hands on the wheel and eyes on the road right now?
Technically and as approved by Tesla, I can simply adjust volume or on legacy pull the AP bar. It is not necessary to touch the wheel.

That's one reason why I'm not a big fan of these standards. Both have degrees of subjectivity. But the SAE standards do seem more technically oriented.

Technically and as approved by Tesla, I can simply adjust volume or on legacy pull the AP bar. It is not necessary to touch the wheel.

That's one reason why I'm not a big fan of these standards. Both have degrees of subjectivity. But the SAE standards do seem more technically oriented.

Yes, the SAE taxonomy is very technically oriented since it is intended for engineers who are developing autonomous driving systems. It is based on the engineering design intent of the system. The Mobileye taxonomy is end-user oriented. It is based on how the end-user relates to the system. Mobileye feels that the consumer needs a taxonomy that they can relate to and understand. I think both have their place.

Reactions: KArnold and OxBrew
FSD is a beta version of one the other categories. Even if you took away the hands on requirement it wouldn’t be eyes on/hands off as that requires infrequent interventions. Hence the beta tag.
Not sure I follow your reasoning here.
The eyes-on/hands-off systems also require interventions.

I know in the end it boils down to you believing intensely that FSD beta is a beta of FSD, but maybe you can elaborate.

ELI5!

Reactions: diplomat33
I am not adding anything to the taxonomy. I was simply adding to my explanation.
No - you are massively reinterpreting it.

My wife’s Toyota van has lane departure warning. BTW, they charged $2k for it (had to buy that vehicle as that was what was left at the dealer). Anyway, is that the same as my Model 3 with NOA ? If both these cars are in the same category the categories by MobilEye is a pathetic failure.

The truth is - MobilEye categories do not handle Tesla properly - either out of neglect or design.

It is difficult to believe it is out of negligence… Afterall they are the market leader. So, Tesla’s main competitor comes up with categories that intentionally dumps Tesla in the lowest category with cars that have negligible amount of ADAS and yet some people here act as if it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Very naïve.

The truth is - MobilEye categories do not handle Tesla properly - either out of neglect or design.

It is difficult to believe it is out of negligence… Afterall they are the market leader. So, Tesla’s main competitor comes up with categories that intentionally dumps Tesla in the lowest category with cars that have negligible amount of ADAS and yet some people here act as if it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Very naïve.
Just interpret "hands off" as "hands not doing anything" and it solves your problem.

Also Doesn't there need to be a L5 where there is no driver or driving position (like steering wheel/pedals) and there is no teleoperator? I know we are YEARS away but isn't that the ultimate goal?
Even trains running on a FIXED track have a driver errr Pilot, especially the long range ones even though pretty much the whole ride can and is controlled by the control room and onboard sensors and signals.