Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mod 3 owner- I’d buy a model X with regular doors- possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't read the forums you are going to post in very often, before, do you?

Tesla X without FWD Poll

No. X is FWDoors. And Basta! :p

Actually I saw that and I guess I was out of “Tesla” mindset when I was quickly looking and FWD meant front wheel drive to me...lol!!

It's called a Model Y.

@Needsdecaf Good call but no. I want the size of an X with model Y setup. My buddy has a Y. Yes it’s bigger than my 3 but not enough to compel me to trade up.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Elon bought. Mclaren F1 in 1999 that had the FWD (for $1m). He will never remove the FWD from the X. Frankly I would not buy a Tesla without them.
I like the idea but in practice it seems they are slow to operate. I can’t be sure Since I haven’t owned one and lived with it. The killer for me is they create unwanted attention. My wife doesn’t want it to be a spectacle when she drops our son off at School. I love the idea just not the reality for us.

FWD's are great for ppl w/ Children still in car seats. Although your wife may get some unwanted questions about it, your son will get more, and he will love it. Really the FWD doesn't draw the attention you're so concerned about. I've had one woman pass by me and say "oooh thats so fancy".

• Love
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I like the idea but in practice it seems they are slow to operate. I can’t be sure Since I haven’t owned one and lived with it. The killer for me is they create unwanted attention. My wife doesn’t want it to be a spectacle when she drops our son off at School. I love the idea just not the reality for us.
People will know your wife is pulling up in an $80,000+ car regardless of the doors. At least it will be easier for the kids to get in and out.

If you are really concerned about appearance a minivan is inconspicuous. A Tesla is not.

One week before we bought our Model X I had said, “I would never own one of those because of those doors.” I too thought they were too flashy and that it would draw unwanted attention. Three plus years into owning it, the doors just haven’t been an issue. In a parking lot the raised FWD can surprisingly blend in with raised hatchbacks. I really can’t think of a single instance of people gawking at them like I had expected.

FWD's are great for ppl w/ Children still in car seats. Although your wife may get some unwanted questions about it, your son will get more, and he will love it. Really the FWD doesn't draw the attention you're so concerned about. I've had one woman pass by me and say "oooh thats so fancy".

People will know your wife is pulling up in an $80,000+ car regardless of the doors. At least it will be easier for the kids to get in and out.

If you are really concerned about appearance a minivan is inconspicuous. A Tesla is not.

One week before we bought our Model X I had said, “I would never own one of those because of those doors.” I too thought they were too flashy and that it would draw unwanted attention. Three plus years into owning it, the doors just haven’t been an issue. In a parking lot the raised FWD can surprisingly blend in with raised hatchbacks. I really can’t think of a single instance of people gawking at them like I had expected.

Thank you for the input and feedback. I guess we wouldn’t know until we had one. Love Tesla, big Elon fan here, but I’ll probably have to wait until the cybertruck hits. Then it will definitely be a spectacle but I won’t care!!

I searched and have seen no evidence of the refresh including removing the wing doors for standard doors. I wonder if anyone has come across this. Thoughts?
The idea that the MX could be better without the FWDs has been discussed a fair amount on the thread "Major Model X Refresh Pending ", and many of us on that thread do not like the FWDs for a variety of reasons and think the MX would sell better without them. To learn more about the problems with FWDs see Kim Java's recent video at:
and Ben Sullins recent video at :
I used to own an MX. the doors were slow to open and didnt open all the way in my garage and i hit my head on them often. also, having them makes the car more expensive, heavier, and takes away headroom and doesnt allow for a rack on top of the car or a roof window. Sure hope the new MX dumps the FWDs!