Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mod: adding Footwell ambient interior light to SR+ partial premium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the light in the center console work when it's closed though? I would record a video from inside the console with your phone to test before you use that light.
The light does turn off when the center console is closed. The brown wire in the footwell feeds the switch that activates that light however. It’s hot even when the center console lid is closed.

• Helpful
Reactions: AdamMacDon
I want the footwell lights to come when I open one of the doors (and not only after pressing the brake pedal), but to stay on while driving. So I thought I can use two diodes and use the +12 Volt signal from the puddle lights AND the brown wire in the rear centre console as well. Because of the way diodes work, there should be no interference from the puddle lights signal to the brown centre console signal (and the other way around) when these both deliver 12 volts to the SSR. Any thoughts on this idea?

It would be nice if Tesla would just sell access to the footwell and door pocket lights via a paid software upgrade, just as they previously did with older cars with heated seats, or long-range cars with the acceleration boost. Since the hardware is there and it's just software locked, easy money for them since it's already in the vehicle, and if the cost is reasonable, it would be much easier for anyone that wants this feature.

Reactions: NBCGLX
Right, that's how the footwell lights in my old car functioned. On when door opens, then fade off after door closes. I suppose the other option would be to wire it to the dome map lights to make it function more like it is designed to
this is what I am trying to investigate, looking for a wiring diagram of a Model 3 SR+ 2021 to see which wire on the dome light is operational, As woudl run two wires so if the lamp button is pressed it will also light the footwell on that side. Looks like time for my Multimeter and start to draw the diagram up if I can not find the Wiring diagram. The interesting thing is the Dome light is a small PCB.... to handle Emergency Blink of all Blinkers and the dome lights.

If anyone knows of a Wiring diagram would be great.

this is what I am trying to investigate, looking for a wiring diagram of a Model 3 SR+ 2021 to see which wire on the dome light is operational, As woudl run two wires so if the lamp button is pressed it will also light the footwell on that side. Looks like time for my Multimeter and start to draw the diagram up if I can not find the Wiring diagram. The interesting thing is the Dome light is a small PCB.... to handle Emergency Blink of all Blinkers and the dome lights.

You can access wiring diagrams for free from Tesla here.

It would be nice if Tesla would just sell access to the footwell and door pocket lights via a paid software upgrade, just as they previously did with older cars with heated seats, or long-range cars with the acceleration boost. Since the hardware is there and it's just software locked, easy money for them since it's already in the vehicle, and if the cost is reasonable, it would be much easier for anyone that wants this feature.
2022 RWD: My footwell lights were randomly on this morning. I was in the garage and I noticed them being on when I entered the car. I have never seen them before. I updated to latest software a couple of days ago and wondered if it was a stealth upgrade. Probably some glitch in the matrix, and I will never seen them again.

2022 RWD: My footwell lights were randomly on this morning. I was in the garage and I noticed them being on when I entered the car. I have never seen them before. I updated to latest software a couple of days ago and wondered if it was a stealth upgrade. Probably some glitch in the matrix, and I will never seen them again.
You’ll notice that they will turn on (even in the door pockets) at times if you’re in your car during a software update. I think it’s part of a test cycle, but usually as soon as the update is complete, they turn back off again.

@OzBrown I did that earlier in the year. Long thread but can start reading from this post. 2022 RWD Footwell door pocket light mod?