Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mod: adding Footwell ambient interior light to SR+ partial premium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did this to my car. I think (now) SR+ have software lock to turn off the two lights in footwell. I tap the power from the middle console light, splice that wire and and add wires to run from there two the two footwell light.

You need to pull out the bottom pad and also remove the top area also on the right side to access the wires.

To tap this power, you need to open up the middle console right side. and look for the wire. There is a two wire (brown and white) plug which connects the LED from inside the middle center console to 12v.

I splice it out and add in wires and loop the wires to the right side footwell. For the light, I splice out the harness clips to the light and connect it to the wires that I loop into. For left side footwell, you just need to open the left side middle console to loop the wire through.

Note that if you tap this power, when you close the lid, the footwell lights will turn off also, because the lid closing sensor would turn off power to the led light inside the storage area.

(note, I tried to used the power from the cigarette or the power from center console usb, but these remains on for a long time after closing the door 15min+. Tapping power from this way will be safe since closing the car will also turn off these footwell lights)

Hope this helps. Took more time than I was expecting but i'm satisfied for now.
View attachment 396279 View attachment 396280
When you did the mod did you just T tap into the existing wires to the lights or did you cut them and splice them?

When you did the mod did you just T tap into the existing wires to the lights or did you cut them and splice them?

For the footwell light wire, I cut them out from their original power wire and added the my power wire in, so no T tap on that,

but for the power you would need to T-tap from somewhere that has power such as the middle console light that I mentioned OR the power from 12V VC left remote in power..like here

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
For the footwell light wire, I cut them out from their original power wire and added the my power wire in, so no T tap on that,

but for the power you would need to T-tap from somewhere that has power such as the middle console light that I mentioned OR the power from 12V VC left remote in power..like here
Yeah I'm gonna use VC_Left's extra 12v power. Not planning on adding a trailer hitch ever. Also I'm gonna find the wires for the map pocket lights in the doors with the wiring schematic I have and rig those up too.

I just replaced (last night) the OEM footwell lights on my Model 3 SR+ Partial Premium interior with LED lights sold by Abstract Ocean. The installation video mentions that it takes 4-6 hours for Tesla's "soft" fuses to reset. When I opened the driver's side door this morning the floor was brightly illuminated for a very brief time...half a second? Why doesn't the light stay on until the door is closed? I don't remember seeing the light before probably because it was so weak and short. Incidentally, when I next tried the passenger side, the light did not come on. And curiously when I reentered the driver's side after previously closing the door, the light did not come on again. Why not?
I just subscribed to the $9.99 per month premium upgrade. Wouldn't the premium lighting be included? Seems like a small item but the super bright LEDs really make a difference upon entering...but briefly! Info? Comments?

There's a premium upgrade?
What does it include?
The only $9.99 thing I know of is to keep connectivity.

There's a premium upgrade?
What does it include?
The only $9.99 thing I know of is to keep connectivity.
That is the premium connectivity, which all Model 3 owners must pay for. Higher spec cars get one year of it free, and it includes satellite maps, slacker radio, spotify, netflix, etc.

Premium cars also have a few other upgrades like ambient lights (what this thread is about), rear heated seats (now purchasable in your Tesla app), and 7 extra speakers (a much harder upgrade to wire in).

Not sure if you meant it this way, but the Premium Connectivity is not REQUIRED - one can simply not have it (and accordingly not have the features that come with it).
I didn't mean to imply it is required, sorry if it reads that way, I mean everyone has to pay for it IF you want it, regardless of trim and model. Only difference is higher spec cars get a year or two free.

Hi there. In fact I find it rather funny and cheap of Tesla to turn off such simple thing as footwell lights off in the SR+ via software.

Where does it say in the equipment description for the "partial premium interior" package that these lights are excluded? Has anyone directed this question to Tesla?

Reactions: B.K.
Hi there. In fact I find it rather funny and cheap of Tesla to turn off such simple thing as footwell lights off in the SR+ via software.

Where does it say in the equipment description for the "partial premium interior" package that these lights are excluded? Has anyone directed this question to Tesla?
When I bought my car it didn't say it had ambient lights, but premium interior cars did. It does seem rather cheap, though.

Hi guy,

I try to find in many threads where I can tap 12v, ON when I unlock and enter in the car, and OFF when I get out with locked door.

I have a SR+ and plan to put footwell lights in front and rear seat.

I read behaviour can change with updates.
I read too the light in center console can be OK, or the lighter.

Hi guy,

I try to find in many threads where I can tap 12v, ON when I unlock and enter in the car, and OFF when I get out with locked door.

I have a SR+ and plan to put footwell lights in front and rear seat.

I read behaviour can change with updates.
I read too the light in center console can be OK, or the lighter.
This might be what you are looking for:

What year is your car?

My SR+ is 2021.

It seems I have to tap a brown wire in the left footwell.
This wire is for the light in the center console.
It's ON when you open the door, and OFF when you leave the car and close the door.

There are 2 brown wires in this place so you have to pick the good one.

In the video, the red wire VCRight in the right footwell turns ON when you press the brake, and OFF when you leave the car and close the door.

The brown wire is more likely what I need. And I think this behaviour won't change in a futur update.

My SR+ is 2021.

It seems I have to tap a brown wire in the left footwell.
This wire is for the light in the center console.
It's ON when you open the door, and OFF when you leave the car and close the door.

There are 2 brown wires in this place so you have to pick the good one.

In the video, the red wire VCRight in the right footwell turns ON when you press the brake, and OFF when you leave the car and close the door.

The brown wire is more likely what I need. And I think this behaviour won't change in a futur update.
Does the light in the center console work when it's closed though? I would record a video from inside the console with your phone to test before you use that light.