Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mode X Key Fob (non PUP) Open front doors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I already know that the Model X without the Premium Upgrade Package does not open Front doors. What I find fascinating is none of the reviews mention opening the front doors with the fob. Every entry on the Model X can be opened by the FOB except the front 2 doors (Even PUP only presents the drivers side door). It seems like that would be an obvious missed feature that would be mentioned. Even as a "the only downside/negative" about the car was no automatic door opening for the front doors.

Does anyone else find this annoying?

I mentioned to Tesla Support to see if they would split the FWD buttons into 2 so it accurately represents the car. So each button can represent each door.

I also mentioned that maybe they could software program to where 1 click on the FWD button on FOB would open the respective front door and double click would open the FWD door.

Again I'm not looking for Self presenting doors. I want the option to click the FOB to open the front doors.

If there is a reason for this feature not being on the FOB could someone please enlighten me.

With PUP & "automatic doors ON" (a setting), a first double click on fob TOP opens driver door, second double click on fob TOP opens passenger door. I don't enable it (because it's coupled with auto present, which can be dangerous) and only verified this feature on AP1 car last year. Other threads discuss the merits of "de-coupling" these related features.

You aren't alone on yer request. I like yer idea of a new FOB (4 door button) hardware, FOB HW2 it could be called........ then both PUP & non-PUP can enjoy safe and deliberate door opening.

|v8.0(17.7.2)| AP2-HW2 | PUP |

• Informative
Reactions: Nismode
With PUP & "automatic doors ON" (a setting), a first double click on fob TOP opens driver door, second double click on fob TOP opens passenger door. I don't enable it (because it's coupled with auto present, which can be dangerous) and only verified this feature on AP1 car last year. Other threads discuss the merits of "de-coupling" these related features.

You aren't alone on yer request. I like yer idea of a new FOB (4 door button) hardware, FOB HW2 it could be called........ then both PUP & non-PUP can enjoy safe and deliberate door opening.

|v8.0(17.7.2)| AP2-HW2 | PUP |
All I can say is that they better make it back-wards compatible. I've already just missed out on AP2.0, 5-seat design and the 100kwh battery!

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
I think the rationale is (although it may not satisfy you) is that you can touch the door handle as easily as the key fob. i realize it doesn't explain the FWD, except to say that they need more room to open.
Also, if you open the FWD with the door handle, you're effectively shadowing the sensors so it doesn't have a good indication of obstructions to avoid.

If you use the FOB from a distance, the FWD can open more liberally.

Reactions: Stasla
I completely agree with OP - all the hardware is already in for fob-open. Could be as easy as program a triple click on the side buttons to pop the respective doors manually vs. Auto-presenting. I also posted in another thread that they could easily sell auto-presenting feature separately to non PUP owners that really want it. As well as most of the other PUP software specific items. Why Tesla ignores this revenue stream is beyond me. They already offer AP and battery unlocks that can be purchased and updated OTA. Gotta be as simple as a few config parameters in the code...

I completely agree with OP - all the hardware is already in for fob-open. Could be as easy as program a triple click on the side buttons to pop the respective doors manually vs. Auto-presenting. I also posted in another thread that they could easily sell auto-presenting feature separately to non PUP owners that really want it. As well as most of the other PUP software specific items. Why Tesla ignores this revenue stream is beyond me. They already offer AP and battery unlocks that can be purchased and updated OTA. Gotta be as simple as a few config parameters in the code...
Agree on all points. And new FOB HW2 with 4 door buttons, proposed by another, welcome.

My assumption is Tesla is trying to protect the value of ordering PUP. It is already a stretch at the price they charge, and even more so now that ventilated seats have been eliminated. If you can get the HEPA filter for $750 and open the doors with your fob, why in the world would you spend $4,500 on the PUP?

My assumption is Tesla is trying to protect the value of ordering PUP. It is already a stretch at the price they charge, and even more so now that ventilated seats have been eliminated. If you can get the HEPA filter for $750 and open the doors with your fob, why in the world would you spend $4,500 on the PUP?
There still is little reason why anyone should purchase it. I'm sure Tesla soon will be adding some sort of new stuff/old stuff back into it.

Completely agree, without the ventilated seats, PUP only has a few more LEDs in the cabin, some leather and alcantara accents on armrests, steering wheel and dashboard, plus the turning adaptive headlights, unless I'm missing something, it's not worth the $4500 to me, especially since the Bioweapon filter upgrade can be had a la carte for $750... and the phone dock is a whopping $34 in the online Tesla shop. The Autopresenting doors are cool, but not practical in the real world, especially in densely populated parking areas, for me anyway. Plus it would mostly apply to the driver, since passenger will likely be 99% sans fob.

BTW, I sent a message to Tesla suggesting that they offer the software only features like Autopresenting door as an unlockable paid software upgrade in MyTesla, similar to buying AP after delivery, or battery unlock to full 75kwh for locked 60s and 70s.

There is some demand for this, judging by what I see in this and other forums. Plus, it would cost them a minimal investment (update a few config params) to capture that revenue stream.

Last edited:
Also, if you open the FWD with the door handle, you're effectively shadowing the sensors so it doesn't have a good indication of obstructions to avoid.

If you use the FOB from a distance, the FWD can open more liberally.
The more obvious problem with using the door handle to open the FWD is that after pressing it, you have to kind of step back (if there's space) or front/back.

All they really should do now is de-couple the stupid auto-doors so that auto-present is 1 thing and opening front doors with the FOB is another. I have not had good luck with auto-present (hitting people or objects).

They just started to offer the HEPA filter as an aftermarket accessory that can be added for $750. It would be ridiculous for them to charge customers to add the ability to open front doors with the fob. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: dragonxt and Stasla
They just started to offer the HEPA filter as an aftermarket accessory that can be added for $750. It would be ridiculous for them to charge customers to add the ability to open front doors with the fob. Just my humble opinion.

Except that they are doing just that right now by only allowing the option in the PUP. Tesla can charge anything they want for features and buyers can choose to purchase or skip them. Tesla has been known to make pricing changes based on customer backlash (Model S premium package had a significant price increase which was shortly thereafter decreased). If no one was paying the $4,500, Tesla would likely reduce the price so they could entice more buyers to select that high margin option.

For me I purchased the PUP because I really wanted the bioweapon mode (wasn't available a la carte at the time), ventilated seats, and auto presenting doors. The package was about $1,500 more than I thought it "should" be worth, but at the car's price point I didn't want to skip having some of the cool bells and whistles. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time so I feel like eventually I will get my money's worth.

I ordered in Feb 2017. From a new buyer PUP made zero sense for me. Bioweapon could be had for $750 at the time. So $3750 for more led inside lights, enhanced fog lights, and auto present doors seemed to not align with the cost. I would of paid $2500 for it. I would still pay $1k for the inside + fog lights upgrade.

The pricing for PUP was off for me.

I use the auto present with the ability to open front doors with FOB. They have made some improvements with the auto present function to help ignore unwanted openings. If you approach and did not intend to get in, I simply ignore it. The door auto closes if I move away from the vehicle. Or, I just close the door. In both situations, the feature disables until I walk far enough away for it to re enable. So, not as annoying as it was. I think having the ability to open front doors is worth the inadvertent openings.

Here's a crazy theory for you:

SINCE the sensors for the auto-presenting doors are actually in the FWDs...
AND since you can get into situations where something is blocking the front door, but not the FWD...
MAYBE they didn't make it a thing because you could do it from afar and your front door would just blindly whack into something.

Just a thought. Honestly, based on that train of thought I'm not sure why they'd make it an option at all. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...

Here's a crazy theory for you:

SINCE the sensors for the auto-presenting doors are actually in the FWDs...
AND since you can get into situations where something is blocking the front door, but not the FWD...
MAYBE they didn't make it a thing because you could do it from afar and your front door would just blindly whack into something.

Just a thought. Honestly, based on that train of thought I'm not sure why they'd make it an option at all. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯...
So are you saying that you're ok with the 2 most often used doors should not have the capability to open them from the FOB. My initial question was for Non PUP Model X. This way when I approach the car I can see the vehicle and decide ok I'd like to open the door with the fob. Since the car is in my sight I can determine if I want to open manually or FOB.