Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mode X Spare Tire Clarification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a tire bulge in the front passenger tire of my Model X. I have been waiting 12 days for a tire. I have now called 4 different tire shops. And the first one to get a tire wins. One of the shops insists that I cannot run a spare as the tire wouldn’t be the same size and would mess up my all whee drive. Another tire shop is offering to put on the same size tire until my tire gets here. My minivan had a spare tire and I ran on it twice as we had blowouts on the freeway on vacation. The tire was smaller but everything worked out. I thought the Tesla would be similar. I have tried to contact Tesla to no avail. Can someone point me to the right answer? I need to drive my car again. 12 days is ridiculous!!! But I would wait 120 days if the spare would mess up my Tesla.

You can run a different size tire but you just won't want to run on it too long or drive to fast (depending on how close to spec it is).
Keep in mind front and rear are different sizes.
Supposedly if you have a 5 seater there is room to fit a spare (not sure if full size will fit) in the lower storage area.

Post a pic of the bulge. A wrong size tire might be as bad as the bulge. depending on how bad the bulge is and how far off on size you are talking.

I have 4 spares (my off season tires :) )

I have a tire bulge in the front passenger tire of my Model X. I have been waiting 12 days for a tire. I have now called 4 different tire shops. And the first one to get a tire wins. One of the shops insists that I cannot run a spare as the tire wouldn’t be the same size and would mess up my all whee drive. Another tire shop is offering to put on the same size tire until my tire gets here. My minivan had a spare tire and I ran on it twice as we had blowouts on the freeway on vacation. The tire was smaller but everything worked out. I thought the Tesla would be similar. I have tried to contact Tesla to no avail. Can someone point me to the right answer? I need to drive my car again. 12 days is ridiculous!!! But I would wait 120 days if the spare would mess up my Tesla.
What size are your current tires and what size is the spare? If it is modestly different in size vs 'donut', then I would not hesitate to run the spare. Your tires turn at different speeds (travel distance) all the time based on cornering.

297970d1484026771-242-transfer-case-modes-turning-radius.jpg

Reactions: FlatSix911
In the app, did you request Service, or Roadside Assistance? For a flat or about to be flat tire, Roadside Assistance is what you should have chosen. My experience is they are very responsive.

I have a tire bulge in the front passenger tire of my Mo

...I need to drive my car again. 12 days is ridiculous!!! But I would wait 120 days if the spare would mess up my Tesla....
Not an expert but I would not drive 12 days on a much smaller spare tire which is meant to get you to the nearest tire shop.

However, if it's a full size tire, I am fine with that.

Some mail order shops like tirerack can get you one in a day or 2.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there is a Discount Tire in Oklahoma?
Yes. I have called two different ones. One of them says no, don’t run on a spare. The other says it is fine as long as the same size. Both are trying to get me a tire. One has been at it the full 12 days. The other has been at it about 3-4 days. Another tire shop says they can get me one out of Dallas on Monday but they don’t have the equipment to properly mount the tire and jack up my car.
What size are your current tires and what size is the spare? If it is modestly different in size vs 'donut', then I would not hesitate to run the spare. Your tires turn at different speeds (travel distance) all the time based on cornering.

297970d1484026771-242-transfer-case-modes-turning-radius.jpg
My front tire is 265/45 r20 108v. The tire shop is offering a loaner tire of same size but not the same brand.
In the app, did you request Service, or Roadside Assistance? For a flat or about to be flat tire, Roadside Assistance is what you should have chosen. My experience is they are very responsive.
I already had a service appointment next week. They wouldn’t put a new tire on until then. So, no quicker tire appointment. I am out of warranty by 500 miles. So, I can call my personal roadside assistance, but I didn’t think they would be much good. I found the bulge at home in my garage.
Not an expert but I would not drive 12 days on a much smaller spare tire which is meant to get you to the nearest tire shop.

However, if it's a full size tire, I am fine with that.

Some mail order shops like tirerack can get you one in a day or 2.
This is what I was wondering. I would not attempt a donut. Well, I would use a donut to hobble to nearest shop. But a similar sized tire that is sized near the regular tire, that sounded reasonable to me. But I hesitated when one of the Discount Tire guys told me not to do it as it would ruin my all wheel drive.

I am so thankful for all the info. My take away is go ahead with the loaner tire of the same size until they can sort out getting a new tire to me. It would literally be just to get me back to dropping/picking kids up from school and sports (With the occasional grocery store run). I don't plan to do much until I am back with the correct tire.

I am always a bit hesitant as I try to get good information but it is so hard to sift through sales talk and truth.

Reactions: scottf200
I already had a service appointment next week. They wouldn’t put a new tire on until then. So, no quicker tire appointment. I am out of warranty by 500 miles. So, I can call my personal roadside assistance, but I didn’t think they would be much good. I found the bulge at home in my garage.
It doesn’t matter. I have used Emergency Road Service three times. All three were in my own driveway. You have use of ERS regardless of warranty status (although you might have to pay, if out of warranty). If you weren’t home, and had a flat somewhere else, you do not have weeks to move your car.

It doesn’t matter. I have used Emergency Road Service three times. All three were in my own driveway. You have use of ERS regardless of warranty status (although you might have to pay, if out of warranty). If you weren’t home, and had a flat somewhere else, you do not have weeks to move your car.
Very true. I would have used them if I were stranded. I wasn’t. And I have roadside assistance through my insurance. When I first saw the bulge, I immediately called the tire shop. No problem they said. We will have a tire tomorrow. And 13 days later . . . the rest is history. In the very beginning, I didn’t see the need to pay for Tesla Roadside assistance when I was going to get a new tire for free the next day. Trust me. I will do so many things different next time. But having the knowledge that I can temporarily use a same size tire will keep me from being stranded for 13 days.

a Modern Spare tire can work as a spare ( up to 50mph/80 KMS speed limit. ). Since i have different size tires in the front and rear in my MX, I have decided to buy one for my trip to various national parks next month as most likely I will not get Roadside Assistance in the National parks even if I am able to get cell ph coverage.
Homepage