Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ≡ Home Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait. Prices are only going down.

That was my first thought too, but I also wondered about supply and demand. As more people want these installed I wondered if prices would increase, or if more people would start doing installs and prices lower due to added competition to attract customers. My biggest concern is if I had something installed in prep would it be outdated in 2 years. I am just curious about others' opinions (it helps me fill time while I wait for Model ≡ greatness). ☺☺☺

If you know that you will be purchasing a BEV, whether a Model 3 or other, go ahead and plan to install the largest circuit you can, up to 100A. You can run the conduit and conductors and dead end them into a box, temporarily. Then, once you know what vehicle you are getting, you can simply install a EV station at one and and land the other end on your breaker. I would recommend either an 80A or 100A.

If you know that you will be purchasing a BEV, whether a Model 3 or other, go ahead and plan to install the largest circuit you can, up to 100A. You can run the conduit and conductors and dead end them into a box, temporarily. Then, once you know what vehicle you are getting, you can simply install a EV station at one and and land the other end on your breaker. I would recommend either an 80A or 100A.
This is the best advice.

Given that we likely won't see the Model ≡ for 18-24 months would most people recommend waiting to have a 240v outlet installed or go ahead in super advance preparation?

In general, I'd suggest waiting - any number of things might change in that time that would affect your decisions.

If there's something else happening, like you're changing the garage anyway, or have an electrician in the house already, then I'd suggest having them install a 14-50 outlet in the garage, which can be useful for a lot of things besides the car and so might add value when you eventually sell the house as well.

Unless you have extreme driving habits, you really won't need anything more than that.
Walter

If you're doing electrical work in your parking area anyway, stub in a big circuit, as MikeJr74 suggests. But don't go and do a new project, just for this, two years in advance, on spec. At least wait until you have a delivery date -- that will still give you months in which to plan, and electricians are not that hard to find. And in the mean time, as others have said, who knows what might happen? In my case, I was rewarded for waiting, by having my utility include me into a free (!) EVSE install program that I couldn't have gotten into had I jumped the gun. Any warranty on the work you have done will surely expire before you have a chance to use it if you do it two years in advance. And you won't know exactly what charging technology the 3 has if you do it before the specs are even announced. (What if the "one more thing" turns out to be wireless charging, for example? I know, it's incredibly unlikely, but you get the picture.)

The one exception is you might want to keep an eye on the federal EVSE install credit. If you think you're going to be able to take advantage of it (depends on having enough taxable income to have liability to offset, while still not having the credit zeroed out by AMT) then if you think Congress is going to get rid of the credit you might want to accelerate your install. Other than that, be patient.

Reactions: TrickyDimitri
If you're doing electrical work in your parking area anyway, stub in a big circuit, as MikeJr74 suggests. But don't go and do a new project, just for this, two years in advance, on spec. At least wait until you have a delivery date -- that will still give you months in which to plan, and electricians are not that hard to find. And in the mean time, as others have said, who knows what might happen? In my case, I was rewarded for waiting, by having my utility include me into a free (!) EVSE install program that I couldn't have gotten into had I jumped the gun. Any warranty on the work you have done will surely expire before you have a chance to use it if you do it two years in advance. And you won't know exactly what charging technology the 3 has if you do it before the specs are even announced. (What if the "one more thing" turns out to be wireless charging, for example? I know, it's incredibly unlikely, but you get the picture.)

The one exception is you might want to keep an eye on the federal EVSE install credit. If you think you're going to be able to take advantage of it (depends on having enough taxable income to have liability to offset, while still not having the credit zeroed out by AMT) then if you think Congress is going to get rid of the credit you might want to accelerate your install. Other than that, be patient.

Patience is a virtue; or so I have heard. I wasn't blessed with that virtue. :):p:D

I have an electrician in the family, so a year and a half ago I got him to put a 50a circuit in my garage with a stove receptacle for when the time comes. I doubt the price of copper wiring is going to fall too much over that time. Cost, nada....besides materials.

The reason to do it this year is to get the 30% tax credit for BEV infrastructure installation. (That may not be renewed to 2017.) And if you are in Oregon there is an additional 30% tax credit. So you could get 60% off the installation of an outlet/WC if you do it by the end of this year.

The reason to do it this year is to get the 30% tax credit for BEV infrastructure installation. (That may not be renewed to 2017.) And if you are in Oregon there is an additional 30% tax credit. So you could get 60% off the installation of an outlet/WC if you do it by the end of this year.

I think in Oregon the credit is 50% or $750, whichever is less. That is for 2016. In 2015 the percentage was limited to 25%.
https://www.oregon.gov/energy/CONS/RES/tax/docs/AltFuel.pdf

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think in Oregon the credit is 50% or $750, whichever is less. That is for 2016. In 2015 the percentage was limited to 25%.
https://www.oregon.gov/energy/CONS/RES/tax/docs/AltFuel.pdf

Good catch, I'm not sure why I thought it was 30%. So you can essentially get 80% off of an installed WC in Oregon. Makes it seem like a bargain. So if you figure the total cost is $1550, WC is $550 and install is $1000, you would get $465 back from the feds and $750 from Oregon making the total cost $335.