Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you explain this? I think that car insurance is required in every state. And listing a car as an EV seems a requirement for getting the tax credit, because otherwise how would they know? So what about those requirements would make a state communist?
As far as I know,in my state,you register your car. You don't register it as an EV. I will call the DMV tomorrow to verify. To answer your,"How would they know" question, by VIN possibly. As in all VINs by Tesla are BEVs.

It's simple for me. PLAID 3 (for me) and MD 3 (for my wife) she's an MD. And yes, dual motor will be bought.
thought about nomoc02 - m3bfree (free of gas)
tsla007 will be put on my roadster 2.
tessla - tesla pronunciation. or tezzla
tslafun
givupgas
buymdl3
Mymdl3
urmdl3
wtfmdl3 (lud mode)
love02
m3sav02
just some thoughts.

As far as I know,in my state,you register your car. You don't register it as an EV. I will call the DMV tomorrow to verify. To answer your,"How would they know" question, by VIN possibly. As in all VINs by Tesla are BEVs.

I'm pretty sure my registration identifies my car as electric. (Washington State.) But my question was why would you say a state is communist for demanding that the car be registered as electric before giving you the tax break that is given for electric cars? It seems pretty reasonable to me that you only get the tax break if the car is properly identified as electric.

I had a wee bit of hassle registering my old Zap Xebra as electric because they'd never heard of it. I had to bring it in to the licensing office and show it to them. And it was not in their data base. (I think maybe 500 were sold in the U.S. nation-wide. And it was technically a 3-wheel motorcycle. I had to take a trike test and get the trike endorsement on my driver's license, which was funny, since it allowed me to drive an actual trike, which I'd never done and never taken a test on.) But the hassle was minor and I drove it for four years before getting the Roadster.

I'm pretty sure my registration identifies my car as electric. (Washington State.) But my question was why would you say a state is communist for demanding that the car be registered as electric before giving you the tax break that is given for electric cars? It seems pretty reasonable to me that you only get the tax break if the car is properly identified as electric.

I had a wee bit of hassle registering my old Zap Xebra as electric because they'd never heard of it. I had to bring it in to the licensing office and show it to them. And it was not in their data base. (I think maybe 500 were sold in the U.S. nation-wide. And it was technically a 3-wheel motorcycle. I had to take a trike test and get the trike endorsement on my driver's license, which was funny, since it allowed me to drive an actual trike, which I'd never done and never taken a test on.) But the hassle was minor and I drove it for four years before getting the Roadster.
Why would they care? IMO,states/DMVs are too intrusive.
Just got off the phone with DMV-there is no difference if you're car is ICE or BEV. Her quote,"A car is a car". My state has no tax breaks for BEVs.
Nor do we have absurdly high sales tax rates for vehicles-6% in my county. I see some mentioned here as high an nearly 10%

Why would they care? IMO,states/DMVs are too intrusive.

If a state gives a tax break to electric cars, then they need to know the car is electric before giving you the tax break. That seems pretty simple to me. Your state gives no tax break, so they don't need to know. But IIRC this all started when you characterized a state as "communist" because an owner who wanted to apply for a state tax break for electric cars had to register the car as electric in order to get the electric-car tax break.

Reactions: melindav
If a state gives a tax break to electric cars, then they need to know the car is electric before giving you the tax break. That seems pretty simple to me. Your state gives no tax break, so they don't need to know. But IIRC this all started when you characterized a state as "communist" because an owner who wanted to apply for a state tax break for electric cars had to register the car as electric in order to get the electric-car tax break.
That wasn't the sole reason and as I stated in my recent post,states and DMV are too intrusive IMO. If the sole reason was for a tax break,fine. But that's not the case.

That wasn't the sole reason and as I stated in my recent post,states and DMV are too intrusive IMO. If the sole reason was for a tax break,fine. But that's not the case.

Fair enough. My state's DMV doesn't ask for anything but the relevant information. The state I lived in before this was the same. I don't know how things work in other states. I've never felt intruded upon by either state.

Why does everyone want a plate that says the same thing the car ALREADY says? For me a personalized plate is about people being able to recognize you. My plates all have my name and some modifier: RVRANDY on the motorhome. Just discovered that the same plate I have on my electric motorcycle will work on the Tesla. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Why does everyone want a plate that says the same thing the car ALREADY says? For me a personalized plate is about people being able to recognize you. My plates all have my name and some modifier: RVRANDY on the motorhome. Just discovered that the same plate I have on my electric motorcycle will work on the Tesla. Thanks for all the suggestions.

That's my feeling, too. When I got the Zap Xebra in 2006 people were just learning about hybrids and had finally stopped asking me if I had to plug in my 2004 gas-electric Prius. So when I got the Xebra the question was "Does it have gas also?" So I had a really big sticker made that said "ALL ELECTRIC ALL THE TIME" and plastered it across the back of the car. When thinking about personalized plates, it made no sense to have "ELECTRIC" or "NO GAS" or anything of the sort on my license plate. I wanted "DANIEL" but of course that was taken.

Many, many years ago, my mother, a big fan of George Bernard Shaw, had a plate that said "GB SHAW" and people who didn't know her were always calling her "Mrs. Shaw." They assumed the plate was her name.

If I can't get my name, or a slogan that expresses my opinion on something important, I'll stick with a plain old license plate. There's not much you can say in 7 or 8 letters.

My Roadster's personalized license plate is COIL. It goes well with "Tesla", but isn't redundant. It's tech-y, so not everyone understands it, which is the way I like it. I tell those people to look it up online (why people don't think of doing that themselves, I don't know). Tech people get it, and generally laugh about it, which is the reason I have it.

My Roadster's personalized license plate is COIL. It goes well with "Tesla", but isn't redundant. It's tech-y, so not everyone understands it, which is the way I like it. I tell those people to look it up online (why people don't think of doing that themselves, I don't know). Tech people get it, and generally laugh about it, which is the reason I have it.
Reminds me of a car I saw in the '80s with the plate: EXECBAT
:)

• Funny
Reactions: Bokonon
Very simple answer-because the majority of folks that drive aren't familiar with a Tesla or wouldn't know 1 if they say 1. I think a small percentage of folks actually reference their name on their plate. Very small in Florida. I don't need to advertise my name. Able to recognize me? Seriously?