Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what are you considering a non-personalized vanity plate? I've aways thought of a personalized plate AS a vanity plate...:confused:
Hope this helps.Personalized and vanity are different. A vanity plate can be from a university,group or organization,cause,ect. A personalized plate let's you choose the numbers and/or letters you want on a plate. I believe Florida leads the nation in vanity plate options. You can also personalize a vanity plate but are limited to 5 characters.
Mine will arrive w/i a few weeks. My 1st personalized plate in nearly 50 years as a licensed driver. THE FUTR which will go on my ICE vehicle for 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: pangolina
No one who has spoken to me about it thought that yet. Majority of people under 40 understand what 404 means.

Well, that explains it. I'm 68 and I doubt that many of my friends, family, and acquaintances know it. I know it mainly because I got a 404 - File Not Found error when trying to download a podcast recently. Of course, people on an internet chat board are more likely to be computer-savvy than the general population. But again, I know very little of the younger generations.

Well, that explains it. I'm 68 and I doubt that many of my friends, family, and acquaintances know it. I know it mainly because I got a 404 - File Not Found error when trying to download a podcast recently. Of course, people on an internet chat board are more likely to be computer-savvy than the general population. But again, I know very little of the younger generations.

It is actually a pretty good conversation starter when someone is not familiar with 404. I had a guy pull up next to me at a red light and ask me about it. It was a very nice, brief conversation and once I explained the meaning, he was pretty amused.

You can also personalize a vanity plate but are limited to 5 characters.

Texas has some vanity (or as they called it, specialty) plate designs which allow 6 or even 7 characters :p Mine however limited to five, and when I ordered it, I didn't have any good ideas for personalization :oops: Just wanted something different than standard plates - didn't like the design. Vanity, you know :D

I got used to that random lettering that DMV assigned, so I have doubts now I'll replace it any time soon. And at the same time I'll continue looking for personalization ideas. No logic, I agree... :confused:

Last edited:
Texas has some vanity (or as they called it, specialty) plate designs which allow 6 or even 7 characters :p Mine however limited to five, and when I ordered it, I didn't have any good ideas for personalization :oops: Just wanted something different than standard plates - didn't like the design. Vanity, you know :D

I got used to that random lettering that DMV assigned, so I have doubts now I'll replace it any time soon. And at the same time I'll continue looking for personalization ideas. No logic, I agree... :confused:
Personalizing a non-vanity plate allows at least 7 characters. THE FUTR with a space in between.

Personalizing a non-vanity plate allows at least 7 characters. THE FUTR with a space in between.
Yep, one more option to make that special vehicle extra special :)

Another idea (inspired by an item I picked at Drive Electric Week event last September):

I(heart)EV

Where (heart)='single heart shaped symbol'. Assuming your state allows special characters in license plates.

Finally got my personalized license plates (California) after waiting 16 weeks! Had to get my congressman involved to find out where they were. After all, I can build a house in less than 90 days once permitted. Even the DMV states 8-12 weeks on their website.

I also had a discussion with the local AAA Club about this issue, and they told me the prison that makes these plates was on "lock down" quite a bit during the fall, preventing license plate manufacturing. The State cashed my check four months earlier. So in California, the delivery of personalized plates depends on how happy the convicts are........

Reactions: melindav