Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about this since I dropped my deposit almost 14 months ago.

I live in California, so the options were very limited, but I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on:

MRK 3

It's an Iron Man reference as much as it is a Tesla reference. I was shocked it was still available, and I like that it's simple. Looking forward to slapping it on my Model 3 SOON.

At the risk of being torn apart on here...I find vanity plates to be pretentious, and have no desire to give my state any more money than necessary for my tag. My dad has vanity plates on his vehicles so maybe I am just jaded. LOL

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
At the risk of being torn apart on here...I find vanity plates to be pretentious, and have no desire to give my state any more money than necessary for my tag. My dad has vanity plates on his vehicles so maybe I am just jaded. LOL

I understand. I have mixed feelings myself. I don't like to stand out much, but i's just fun to imagine sometimes. Part of me would love to have a plate that says "EFF OIL", but the rational part of me says that's probably not a very good idea :D.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
I understand. I have mixed feelings myself. I don't like to stand out much, but i's just fun to imagine sometimes. Part of me would love to have a plate that says "EFF OIL", but the rational part of me says that's probably not a very good idea :D.
I want EVs to be mainstream, and here in the South we would say you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

I've always thought it was redundant to put a vanity plate on a car that says what the car is. I'd have gotten a plate that says DANIEL, that being my name, but of course it's not available. For many years I had my ham radio call sign as my license plate, and I could get that again if I wanted, but I've not been active or owned a ham radio in over two decades. I'd get DANIEL666 but they don't allow that many characters. My mother had a vanity plate with the name of her favorite author, and everybody who didn't know her thought that was her name. So I just have a regular plate.

My understanding is that ham radio license plates existed so that in an emergency, a police officer could enlist aid with communication. When I first got my ham radio ticket, cell phones had not been invented and many hams had two-meter transceivers in their cars. Our local ham radio club had a repeater with a phone patch. If requested I could make a phone call via our repeater on my two-meter radio.

Nowadays everybody has a cell phone. And I no longer own a radio. Ham radio license plates are an anachronism. And as you say, sporting your ham call sign is like broadcasting your identity and mailing address. And for many, that means your home address. I was pretty proud of my 2X1 call sign though. I think it wasn't too much later that they ran out of 2X1 call signs (1X2 call signs were long gone) and Extra-class hams were getting 2X2 call signs. I keep my license current just to hold on to my call sign. It would have been around 1980, give or take a few years, when I got it.

I intended my plate, which I got for a LEAF in 2011, to be educational — to let people around here know that EVs exist:
LEAF license plate0305crop90px 10-27-11.jpg

It was also a celebration of sorts — after so many years of waiting I finally got the chance to drive an EV instead of an ICEV. Now, 5+ years later, EVs remain very rare in my remote rural area so it still serves to mark my car, now a Model S60, as being different from other cars and my friends have said that they enjoy seeing the plate. At $25 a year I consider it a small, if frivolous, expense. If that is "pretentious," so be it.

In NC, at least, vanity plate money goes towards landscaping on medians and around highways, and I'm OK with that.

I intended my plate, which I got for a LEAF in 2011, to be educational — to let people around here know that EVs exist:
View attachment 233579
It was also a celebration of sorts — after so many years of waiting I finally got the chance to drive an EV instead of an ICEV. Now, 5+ years later, EVs remain very rare in my remote rural area so it still serves to mark my car, now a Model S60, as being different from other cars and my friends have said that they enjoy seeing the plate. At $25 a year I consider it a small, if frivolous, expense. If that is "pretentious," so be it.
Hey, at least you didn't tear me apart.