Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 2 Branding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any discussion or thought around the idea that Tesla might 'rebrand' the Model 2 as something else? Sort of the reverse of what Honda and Toyota did with Lexus and Acura or Lladro does with Nao? I thought of this in the context of Elon saying range under 250 miles is unacceptable for a Tesla, but also in terms of how 'stripped down' or whatever it takes to hit the $25K price point. It seems to me maybe it would make sense to retain Tesla's premium image if the 'cheaper' version is going to be seriously downgraded.

OTOH, that's definitely old 'big auto' thinking and maybe the antithesis of everything Elon's trying to do. But realistically speaking unless he wants to cannibalize M3 and MY sales it seems like there has to be at least $20 - 25K worth of real difference between the cars and I'm not sure what a car with that much 'value' pulled out of it would look like and whether it could fit Elon's vision of what a 'Tesla' is supposed to be. And as we've already seen with standard range Y, he'd rather not issue a car at all rather than compromise his standards.

So I was just wondering if rebadging would be around that? T-Car or something, I don't know. I honestly don't see how you pull $15K of real cost out of the base Model 3 especially when pretty much all there is is to do is reduce the battery size and put in a weaker motor. He's not going to pull the cameras and processing and connectivity out because he needs all those sensors on the road feeding the super computer.

I guess it just depends on how 'degraded' the Model 2 will be and whether Elon can live with the Tesla logo on it.

Last edited:
Maybe so. If 250 miles is the magic number for a car to be a 'Tesla' for him he can probably do that by 2023 with the 4680 and battery pack. Then he's going to have to decide what he wants to do with the 3 and the Y. To preserve them he'll probably have to push their mileage up over 400.

Then he'd have the 2/Q as more of an inexpensive daily driver, commutes, shopping and such locally, but that could go on long trips if absolutely necessary. But the 3/Y with another 100 miles of range or so from now would be tremendous for road trips and vacations; another 100 miles of range would probably cut out a third of the supercharger stops and trips of 350 miles or less might require no stops at all.

Then he'd have a situation where lots of families would want two Teslas, the inexpensive Model 2 for bumming around town, no FSD, etc, and maybe the Y for road trips, tow hitch, full FSD or at least subscription, etc.

Creating another brand whould allow, in US, getting again the $7,500 tax credit for the first 200,000 cars sold,
the same way Volvo and Polestar use two different brand names using the same drive train.
I wouldn't count on that. GM/Chevy/Cadillac all seem to fall under 1 company likewise Mercedes and Smart, BMW and Mini, Fiat and Chrysler are considered single companies. Then again Porsche, VW and Audi are considered 3 different from what I can tell.

Unless Tesla stands up a complete separate company I don't think they will be able to just spin off a different brand and qualify for the rebate again.

Though isn't the 200k vehicle cap likely to be lifted before the model 2/Q hits US shores? In my opinion Elon is likely to keep the 2/Q in the lineup and push the model 3 upward in range by retaining leather seats, power operated seats, and etc. The model 2/Q is likely to be downgrade with cloth seats, worse stereo, hard plastic surfaces instead of soft touch and etc. Basically think of the 2/Q as the corolla LE, the model 3 as Camry XSE, model y as rav4 XSE and model S and X like a Lexus offering.

Would a urban get-around-town car really need advanced autopilot? Don't know how expensive the computer is, but combined with sensors it could be quite a bit. I imagine most cars under 30,000 don't have much in that regard. Single motor (front wheel drive) would reduce weight and cost.

Are you saying Cadillac Lyric won't qualify because Chevy Bolt used up their share of EV sales? I think Cadillac, Chevy & Buick will each qualify even though they are a division of GM.
Looking at this website I would say no Cadillac will not qualify for it as GM has already sold 200k EV and have passed the phase out period. Unless they change the rules which I have heard is being talked about.

I am still not sure how they are treating VW, Audi. and Porsche.

Would a urban get-around-town car really need advanced autopilot? Don't know how expensive the computer is, but combined with sensors it could be quite a bit. I imagine most cars under 30,000 don't have much in that regard. Single motor (front wheel drive) would reduce weight and cost.

Getting around town is where I want FSD the most. Out away from town where there is no traffic driving isn't nearly as stressful. Although I still like lane assist to help with the strong cross winds.

Also you can have RWD with a single motor and have a better car than a FWD :) I'm a bit old school I still prefer RWD cars.

Also you can have RWD with a single motor and have a better car than a FWD :) I'm a bit old school I still prefer RWD cars.
I have driven FWD cars for many years (first was in 1977) and do think it's more efficient to pull a car than to push it. Your steering and drive wheels are the same with FWD. In So. Cal and Las Vegas I do think dual motors is overkill (I'm not complaining though), unless you do snow driving. I don't do snow.

I have driven FWD cars for many years (first was in 1977) and do think it's more efficient to pull a car than to push it. Your steering and drive wheels are the same with FWD. In So. Cal and Las Vegas I do think dual motors is overkill (I'm not complaining though), unless you do snow driving. I don't do snow.
Is this more to do with losing some efficiency with the transmission pushing to the rear wheels? I have no clue but just trying to think why this would be and if it would be applicable in a EV.

Is this more to do with losing some efficiency with the transmission pushing to the rear wheels? I have no clue but just trying to think why this would be and if it would be applicable in a EV.
I don't know about EV, but with ICE front wheel drive: put a pencil on a table and push it from the back. Harder to keep it straight. Pull it from the front and it's easy to go where you want. I am sure you lose something to U-joints and transfer of power (motion) in an ICE. EV has to be way more efficient as to transfer of motion to the wheels.