Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post for ratings you’ll see, but s long time lurker!

Is there ever likely, do you think, that there would be a sub-Medal 3 Tesla introduced. Like a VW Golf sized Model 2?

I recall seeing a you tube video about a year ago where they summised it as a possibility.

I am t-h-i-s close to ordering a 3, but coming from a 7.5 Golf, and with a 4’10” tall wife who is my taxi driver if I ever, well, have a few drinks!!, I fear the 3 May be just a little too big (for her).

Are there any short guys/gals here that own and drive a 3? Just the base RWD model. But a Model 2 would be just ideal!!

Thanks
Rod

Is there ever likely, do you think, that there would be a sub-Medal 3 Tesla introduced. Like a VW Golf sized Model 2?

Elon Musk used to say that he could do a US$25,000 EV car but lately, he denied any need for it because higher trims are being already sold out.

Thus, there might be a better chance if there will be the competition that takes away from Tesla's demands.

I doubt that Tesla will sell a Model 2 / Q in the US since those might be manufactured in China or Germany.
The US market for compact cars is very limited and Tesla will certainly not build the Model 2 / Q here,
so those should have to be imported and paid shipping and import taxes, so better not to hope for it.
I think also that Tesla in the US will try to stay as a Luxury brand like BMW, The recent BMW Series 1 and 2
are not selling very well compare to Hyundai Elantra or Mazda 3, or other lower price compact cars.

Already Ford gave up selling smaller cars, and VW mostly sells the Jetta build in US,
and only the top GTI and R and not any more the Golf.
The VW ID.3 is not sold in US,only the now locally build ID.4.
If you want to get a smaller EV, best will be to wait for the possibly
imported Chinese BYD Dolphin or new Geely SUV.

If you can and have no garage constraint, try keeping your current Golf, for doing small errants,
and get a Model 3 for longer trips or commutes, or a Model Y if you need the hatchback usage.
The Model 3 is very easy to drive, and the three rear view camera display is very helpful for someone
who is not very tall. However the steering curve is not that great compare to the Golf,
so you will have to get use of making a K-turn instead of a U-turn when driving in narrow streets.
Best would be doing some test drive or rent one for a weekend, but the Model 3 is great, you will not disapointed,

Reactions: Brando
Tesla needs an equivalent to the Ford Model T which, when introduced in 1908, cost the equivalent of less than $25K, thereby making automobiles economically accessible to regular folks for the 1st time. Government subsidies for EV adoption wont but last forever so the $25K MSRP is needed to get those people who couldn't afford to be early adopters buying mass market EVs which are fully capable of city and long distance driving. I hope the rumored Model 2 with that price target is still a high priority with Elon so mass EV adoption can occur.

Reactions: gtae07
Now the hype will start over the model 2 and some people will go overboard, so here are my thoughts:
1. It will cost about $30,000 initially.
2. Range will be around 220 miles.
3. Pilot production in late 2024 in Texas, followed by Mexico in late 2025.
4. Elon will say something like the new manufacturing process was hard
5. Production in Germany and China from 2026 and it will take a few years to get going. Potential to sell several million a year from 2028.

Redwood? First thing that comes to mind is trees. Are the codenames based on trees? I know Juniper is a type of tree. And after a quick google, so are Highland (Poplar).

Another google search shows a Teslascope X about codenames being drinks, including Lychee and Tamarind. But those also grow on trees, so are a type of tree.

That being said... a compact crossover is effectively the size of the vehicle, 2019 Honda HR-V, I traded in for my 2023 MYP. Incidentally, the HR-V and it's cousin, Honda Fit/Jazz have rear folding seats that can fold up like the CyberTruck. But they can also fold down flat. I also have a 2010 Honda Fit. I like compacts, so I'm hoping it really will be a compact (crossover, I guess).

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster
An article said Tesla bought a Honda Civic to tear apart to look how cheap cars are made. Is $20k for cars cheap? What is cheap though mean, my arcade friend is still paying off his Honda Civic and reselling arcade prizes is his main source of income.

I am wondering if I could afford a Tesla Model 2 just reselling arcade prizes. Like I only take all the cash from all the PS5s I resold I have and just bring it to Tesla instead of a check. Or could I just give Tesla 35 PS5s in exchange for the Tesla since it will be $17,500 after the tax rebate. Or I give them about 5 million Dave and Busters tickets.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod