Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to see all good vendors be successful, but I just noticed (I know, I’m late on this) that Redwood/Öhlins is almost 2X the cost of MPP Sport. Has anyone compared both MPP Sport and Redwood/ÖhlinsCoilovers.

There is often diminishing returns on higher priced performance gear...and often hard to measure.

Would be helpful oft here was a way we could see that the higher price would return performance/reliability over the lower prices units?

I don’t mind paying more, but only if I can realize the value.

Coming from Porsche and MIATA world, it would be awesome to see the type of enthusiast and aftermarket develop in the Tesla space.

...kind of exciting times.

MPP Sports for AWD/Perf is $2690, MPP Comfort is $1800. Redwood is $3500 for both Performance and GT version.

FWIW, I googled “kw vs ohlins” because whereas this unbiased comparison isn’t possible yet with the Model 3, it has been done with other vehicles on the road and on the track. The posts I found on the various forums speak for themselves. I suggest you see for yourself.

Except MPP Sport is not KW V3. KW manufactures the coilovers for MPP to their specifications.

Except MPP Sport is not KW V3. KW manufactures the coilovers for MPP to their specifications.

Given that the V3 that KW sells specifically for the Model 3 is the only one close in price to the MPP variant, it’s safe to say the V3 is a good target for comparison. So in that regard, KW V3 vs Ohlins DFV reviews are good enough for me until someone installs their first set on their Model 3. And to that extent, everything I’m reading falls in line with the description Redwood Motorsports has given us.

I would love to see all good vendors be successful, but I just noticed (I know, I’m late on this) that Redwood/Öhlins is almost 2X the cost of MPP Sport. Has anyone compared both MPP Sport and Redwood/ÖhlinsCoilovers.

There is often diminishing returns on higher priced performance gear...and often hard to measure.

Would be helpful oft here was a way we could see that the higher price would return performance/reliability over the lower prices units?

I don’t mind paying more, but only if I can realize the value.

Coming from Porsche and MIATA world, it would be awesome to see the type of enthusiast and aftermarket develop in the Tesla space.

...kind of exciting times.
Awesome! In that case mou might be aware of our sister company MiataSpeed.com in that case being in the Miata world (especially in the Bay Area). Which generation Miata do you have? We took first at SCCA STR Autocross Nationals in 2017 with our Long-Stroke FPSpec Ohlins on the ND Miata. That was a big win for us, walking the competition by .33 seconds. That was first and last time we bothered competing in STR, and immediately went back to road courses. Ian Stweart was our driver (I'll give him quite a bit of credit) but the suspension really came through for that win in conjunction with his driving... we set up and tuned that car for the 2017 season, and it really paid off.

We were up against some pretty stiff competition with very expensive shocks... and walked them. Those are also $3400 Ohlins, but we were up against some other guys running Moton, AST, MCT, etc. which were 2-3x the cost. Dollar for performance they are amazing and we sell a few custom ND Miata Long Stroke kits per week. Those are $25K cars with $3400 suspension, and the ND (and now NC owners) are not shy to put a lot into their shocks.

This is even more important for the Tesla, as there are no gains to be had in the power department. Handling, brakes, and wheels are really all you can do. Get the best suspension you can afford for your TM3!

Here's what we need. Blinded reviews from multiple reviewers. One car set-up with mountain pass performance sport coilovers, set at recommended Street settings, and an otherwise identically tired and wheeled model 3 with the Ohlins performance setup also set at recommended Street settings. Multiple drivers should drive under variety of real world and road conditions, blinded completely to which car had which set up. Then set both systems optimally for track and have experienced drivers track both cars.

Expensive and very time-consuming to do it this way but it's the only way that has any scientific integrity.

I'm sure that people will do some comparisons but it's really hard to do back to back A/B comparisons like you're suggesting as you need essentially the same car, same tires, same control arms, same alignment, same height, and setup in general. It's not something we would do in house as we do not spend time with negative reviews of competitors parts... that wouldn't be a very nice thing to do from a vendor relations point of view, and is best left to 3rd parties. That said we're very confident in our products, and if you add up the costs (especially with the pre-order discount) once shipping is factored in we are within $200 of the other Coilover kits out there - a huge hardware discrepancy for a $200 delta.

Last edited:
...That said we're very confident in our products, and if you add up the costs (especially with the pre-order discount) once shipping is factored in we are within $200 of the other Coilover kits out there - a huge hardware discrepancy for a $200 delta.

Actually, my delta would’ve been $400 when comparing MPP (with shipping) vs RW Ohlins (with shipping and discount). But I get your point. It’s not that huge of a cost gap for a possible “better” kit. It’s definitely something I’ll have to consider.

Has anyone on here preordered theirs?

Actually, my delta would’ve been $400 when comparing MPP (with shipping) vs RW Ohlins (with shipping and discount). But I get your point. It’s not that huge of a cost gap for a possible “better” kit. It’s definitely something I’ll have to consider.

I have preordered the sports for my P3D after a few back and forth emails with them over the holidays with great info on their part.The plan is to install the kit and arms whenever I get them and happy to provide some test rides in the surrounding Seattle area.

Reactions: BodegaBay

Similar math.
RW Ohlins $3250
MPP Sport $2780
KW V3 off eBay $2620

I had both kw v3 and Ohlins DFV on my S2k, and liked the Ohlins somewhat more. But the pricing delta still bites.

P.S. is there an expected price for the Redwood Cyclone Wheel in Bronze? Those look great.

Reactions: BodegaBay

We've got roughly 25 pre-order currently. As far as total pricing goes, for comparison, you need to also factor in the Customs and Duties from importing from Canada to the US. That comes out to (as far as we can guestimate) ~$220 for a $2600 import from Canada. Not saying this to discount anyone elses products, but in order to fairly compare apples and apples you do need to factor in the Imports and Duties.

All of our products are made in and shipped from the USA, aside from the Swift Springs from Japan and raw shock bodies from Sweden!

I have preordered the sports for my P3D after a few back and forth emails with them over the holidays with great info on their part.The plan is to install the kit and arms whenever I get them and happy to provide some test rides in the surrounding Seattle area.

Thank your for the pre-order and support! We have some cool announcements for the Performance Sport kit coming up... we will be including 5KG helper/assist springs for the rear with the kit. We have added these to increase performance at the limit (as you begin to lift a wheel your spring rate will drop to 5kg and buy you additional grip just as you are about to lose traction. We will be including these free of charge for all pre-order Performance Sport customers!!

Similar math.
RW Ohlins $3250
MPP Sport $2780
KW V3 off eBay $2620

I had both kw v3 and Ohlins DFV on my S2k, and liked the Ohlins somewhat more. But the pricing delta still bites.

P.S. is there an expected price for the Redwood Cyclone Wheel in Bronze? Those look great.

Compared to the MPP kit, the price difference (with the limited time pre-order pricing) the price difference after factoring in shipping from Canada, imports and duties, etc. really comes out to less than $200. That's a massive hardware difference
We have the Cyclone wheels in pre-production and load testing currently. We are still working out pricing and would like to get an interest thread together to see what colors people would most want. We are considering:
-Hyper Silver
-Gloss Gunmetal
-Satin Dark Gunmetal (similar to the dark performance wheels)
-Bronze

Redwood Cyclone Wheel 19x9.5 +35 - Tesla Model 3

RM_V5_Wheel_c_copy_720x.jpg

We've got roughly 25 pre-order currently. As far as total pricing goes, for comparison, you need to also factor in the Customs and Duties from importing from Canada to the US. That comes out to (as far as we can guestimate) ~$220 for a $2600 import from Canada. Not saying this to discount anyone elses products, but in order to fairly compare apples and apples you do need to factor in the Imports and Duties.

All of our products are made in and shipped from the USA, aside from the Swift Springs from Japan and raw shock bodies from Sweden!

Thank your for the pre-order and support! We have some cool announcements for the Performance Sport kit coming up... we will be including 5KG helper/assist springs for the rear with the kit. We have added these to increase performance at the limit (as you begin to lift a wheel your spring rate will drop to 5kg and buy you additional grip just as you are about to lose traction. We will be including these free of charge for all pre-order Performance Sport customers!!

Compared to the MPP kit, the price difference (with the limited time pre-order pricing) the price difference after factoring in shipping from Canada, imports and duties, etc. really comes out to less than $200. That's a massive hardware difference
We have the Cyclone wheels in pre-production and load testing currently. We are still working out pricing and would like to get an interest thread together to see what colors people would most want. We are considering:
-Hyper Silver
-Gloss Gunmetal
-Bronze

Unless things have changed, there are no import duties paid by the buyer. I believe MPP picks that up, or has it setup to not require these duties.

I look forward to seeing how these perform at the track. Currently it's the MPP drivers reigning supreme over UPP (same track and conditions).

I recently saw these wheels on your site, and like the look. What's the pricing going to look like? I'd be interested in bronze or the gloss gunmetal.

-Hyper Silver
-Gloss Gunmetal
-Bronze

Can you PM me the pre-order pricing on these?

Absolutely, we will be updating the website tonight. The retail for these wheels will be $2995, but we will be offering pre-order pricing on them which would be 10% off for pre-orders only using 'EARLYADOPTER' . I'll get it updated on the website now.

The only wildcard is color choice. We'll be starting a thread to get a poll for color choices. Right now we are go on the Gloss Gunmetal, and Satin Dark-Gunmetal.

We'll get the product page updated today to allow pre-orders for at least the two colors that are green-lighted now.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Absolutely, we will be updating the website tonight. The retail for these wheels will be $2995, but we will be offering pre-order pricing on them which would be 10% off for pre-orders only using 'EARLYADOPTER' . I'll get it updated on the website now.

The only wildcard is color choice. We'll be starting a thread to get a poll for color choices. Right now we are go on the Gloss Gunmetal, and Satin Dark-Gunmetal.

We'll get the product page updated today to allow pre-orders for at least the two colors that are green-lighted now.

Can you provide info on:
  • Weight
  • Load rating
  • Availability
  • Made in?
Do you have pictures of the wheel in the 2 color options?

We wanted to stay silent but this has gone on way too long.

STOP spreading misinformation. It's bad enough that you copy other people's product designs (Unplugged Performance upper control arms look mighty similar...)

Our coilover costs for Canadian and USA customers are landed, no extra duties or customs!!!!! How can you say there are extra import charges with NO evidence of that?

Secondly, a Model 3 will never lift an inside rear tire as it is either 50/50 or rear heavy. Therefore a helper spring in the rear is totally unnecessary, especially with relatively SOFT rear springs which will not go loose even at full droop!!!

If you want to make stuff up about your own products fine, go ahead. But leave us out of it.

We wanted to stay silent but this has gone on way too long.

STOP spreading misinformation. It's bad enough that you copy other people's product designs (Unplugged Performance upper control arms look mighty similar...)

Our coilover costs for Canadian and USA customers are landed, no extra duties or customs!!!!! How can you say there are extra import charges with NO evidence of that?

First off, we owe you an apology. That cost was quoted to us by a customer. We've never purchased from you so I was only able to go off of what others told us and their (apparent) assumption of import fees to the US. They were wrong. That's awesome that you guys do cover the Import Duties and Taxes... to anyone reading this, that is a non-negligible expense. Hat's off for your company covering those fees. We do a lot of importing and exporting, and I can tell you those costs do add up significantly. So, we do want to genuinely apologize for misquoting your price.

On the other hand, we have *never* copied anyone else's product designs. We've had our upper control arm CAD designs and R/D testing going *long* before we had seen any front control arms even announced or released from any manufacturer (MPP included). There are a limited number of ways that an upper control arm can be designed, and the design constraints limit the number of solutions. As a result, most aftermarket control arms will converge into a few general design styles. That said, all of our design, testing, and manufacturing is unique to us. This was all designed well before any company (including MPP) had ever publicly posted a picture of an adjustable front upper control arm.

Secondly, a Model 3 will never lift an inside rear tire as it is either 50/50 or rear heavy. Therefore a helper spring in the rear is totally unnecessary, especially with relatively SOFT rear springs which will not go loose even at full droop!!!

This is a point I would like to address head on... I previously used the term "lifting a rear wheel" which I said to be more understandable to the general reader, however I should clarify that term as "unloading" a rear wheel. The Model 3 absolutely does this (as do other 50/50 cars, see picture below). Another clarification we should make is in regards to helper springs - we are not talking about zero rate "helper" springs that prevent rear springs from becoming loose, we just used the term helper colloquially - they would be considered "assist" springs at the rates we are using. We use these as a tuning tool on many other chassis that we have designed suspension for by allowing a softer total spring rate to come into play on the lightly-loaded inside wheel. This increases the grip of the inside wheel, and provides additional traction at the limit when exposed, and does not affect the main spring rate when compressed.
autocross.png

We use similar setups on our track-designed Ohlins kits for NSX, RX7, S2000, etc as shown below

NCFPSpec01__99687.1574819355.380.500.JPG

Is there a way to order without helper/assist springs if one prefers consistent handling?

Absolutely, if you would like we can omit them from your shipment. However, they do not create inconsistent handling, the net effect (at the limit) is actually additional grip and more consistent handling (as helper/assist springs are only active / at play at the limit - they are flat ground springs that are completely compressed in normal use).

What assist springs do (think of them as higher-rate helper springs) is selectively provide a lower spring rate than your main spring, for an individual wheel that is being unloaded. In general, a softer spring will generate more grip - which is desirable with an unloaded wheel, but does not provide good roll control when the wheel is loaded. When you combine an assist spring on top of a main spring, you end up with the best of both worlds - with the assist spring only active in more extreme conditions where significant amount of weight is being removed from an individual wheel... you will find the handling at the limit to be *more* consistent, not less.

2020-02-10.jpg

Reactions: P3DShadow