Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote them 10 days ago and again yesterday but didn’t get any reply. Im starting to be concerned with their health... I hope everybody is good over there.
My car can wait a few more weeks, meanwhile i can always drive my track-prepped 911! ;)

Heath e-mailed yesterday and said instructions should be up soon, and he'd post a link here a well.
Anybody has experience with Ohlins remote adjusters on other platforms? Never had those before, and it would seem that I somehow have to reuse part of the original adjuster to make things work. The 'remote adjuster' part has no threaded parts to mate to the shock shaft.

Heath e-mailed yesterday and said instructions should be up soon, and he'd post a link here a well.
Anybody has experience with Ohlins remote adjusters on other platforms? Never had those before, and it would seem that I somehow have to reuse part of the original adjuster to make things work. The 'remote adjuster' part has no threaded parts to mate to the shock shaft.

I have the remote adjuster on my car,but they did all the installation for me

How many have received their order now?
How many have them installed?

I believe there were 20 kits made for the first batch but only a small number here seem to have had a delivery.
What's the hold up (apart from the obvious!)?

Well I received mine but they haven’t responded to any of my attempts to contact them in regards to this mystical assembly guide. Its crazy to me that you can have a product in R&D for months and get all the way into production like this and still not have a complete install guide. Its not like half of America isn’t sitting home right now on a computer. If anything and they are shut down one would think it would take only a few days to put something together

I'm just happy I got mine delivered.
Well I received mine but they haven’t responded to any of my attempts to contact them in regards to this mystical assembly guide. Its crazy to me that you can have a product in R&D for months and get all the way into production like this and still not have a complete install guide. Its not like half of America isn’t sitting home right now on a computer. If anything and they are shut down one would think it would take only a few days to put something together
If you're itching to install, here's what they e-mailed me about assembly:
630mm free length in front and a 645mm free length in the rear - measured from the top of the tophat to the center of the lower shock bolt hole.
Preload on the front you can start at 18mm, the rear you can leave the spring adjuster in the middle.

If you need instructions on how to actually install, MPP guide works. There's also factory service manual on torrents.

Reactions: MountainPass
If you guys have any questions go ahead and message me, within reason.

If needed I can discuss how to measure and set that "free length or if there's any verbiage that cannot be understood. There are certain things that do require a little more attention than other european coilovers because this has some inherent design differences. Since the lower bracket/fork is independently adjustable from the spring preload it's position is "critical". With other european coilovers you don't need to worry about this because they remove that variable from the equation by not having a fully threaded shock body. You can see that fork in the thumbnail below. You will put that lower fork in a specific position, lock it down, and not touch it again. Then you'll do all your height adjustments at the spring itself by adjusting its relative preload. More preload = higher car, less preload = lower car.

If you need a great visual DIY I can link you to @beastmode13 DIY for when he did his install. It's a really really good write up. I took video of my install but really need to learn how to edit and stitch it together so you're not watching a 3-4 hour video. In the meantime I took a picture of my car with it installed to my ride height preference so you guys have something to reference. My car is a little bit lower than the RW car. I also checked corner weight with me in the car. Even though we didn't do this on purpose we got very lucky. The car is very well balanced from the factory so if you set the ride heights evenly you will achieve near perfect corners weights on an AWD.
Redwood shop pics-4.jpg Redwood shop pics-6 - Copy.jpg Redwood shop pics.jpgIMG_3169.jpg

Model 3 SSR GTX01 sunol.jpg

Oh and I love their rear arms. They're so pretty and mine are silent.

I got my front camber to -1 on both sides along with +5.6 degrees of caster. I have zero front toe. We did take the time to adjust the front camber as much as possible since it was so far off from the factory. I wanted them to at least be close in value. Then in the rear we went with -0.6 camber. In the rear I have a little bit of toe in, maybe +0.10 degs total. Car feels amazing. I set my damping to 20 open front and 22 open rear. I conquered one mountain range last weekend and about to do another this weekend. Living in Silicon Valley is a dream. I'm surrounded by mountains with lots of twisties, driving a car made across the street from my office, and custom Ohlins suspension from my office neighbors. It just doesn't get much better than that.

RW-MDL3-CAMBER-toe LIFESTYLE-2.jpg

Oh and I love their rear arms. They're so pretty and mine are silent.

I got my front camber to -1 on both sides along with +5.6 degrees of caster. I have zero front toe. We did take the time to adjust the front camber as much as possible since it was so far off from the factory. I wanted them to at least be close in value. Then in the rear we went with -0.6 camber. In the rear I have a little bit of toe in, maybe +0.10 degs total. Car feels amazing. I set my damping to 20 open front and 22 open rear. I conquered one mountain range last weekend and about to do another this weekend. Living in Silicon Valley is a dream. I'm surrounded by mountains with lots of twisties, driving a car made across the street from my office, and custom Ohlins suspension from my office neighbors. It just doesn't get much better than that.

View attachment 537673

That's not a lot of camber for track use. Are you planning to take it on track?

You will put that lower fork in a specific position, lock it down, and not touch it again. Then you'll do all your height adjustments at the spring itself by adjusting its relative preload. More preload = higher car, less preload = lower car.

If you are referring to the front then you could not be more wrong.

Set initial spring preload.
Set height using shock body.
Dial in pre load to change corner weights. (using scales.) This is the main benefit with this design - Adjusting corner weights without changing ride height.

Changing the preload on the front to adjust the height is terrible. to lower it you would have to have the spring loose. Then you are defeating the design and losing damper travel.

If you are referring to the front then you could not be more wrong.

Set initial spring preload.
Set height using shock body.
Dial in pre load to change corner weights. (using scales.) This is the main benefit with this design - Adjusting corner weights without changing ride height.

Changing the preload on the front to adjust the height is terrible. to lower it you would have to have the spring loose. Then you are defeating the design and losing damper travel.

I agree and disagree with you. This principle of height adjustment can vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle. I do appreciate your input. Please take the time to read below and let me know if something seems astray to you but I really do not want to flood this thread with information that contradicts the way the manufacturer is recommending things are done. You're not adding that much preload. Nothing near the 8-10" that Tesla does from the factory. Because of the limited amount of room on the front shock it's difficult to have a main and helper spring stacked. The method mentioned above is how Bilstein, KW, H&R, Eibach, Penske, JRZ, and the likes to it. Why would companies as reputable as that pursue a manufacturing method that is more costly than using universal damper tubes and just machining application specific lower brackets? If you google images of these types of dampers you will likely not see an independent lower bracket. As for KW, on the Model 3 you will also see the lack of a helper spring so height is adjusting by displacing the spring itself, ergo preload. I also was under the same impression as you 20 years ago when I first started importing coilovers from Japan. This is back when our only choices were using Koni Yellows and Ground Control sleeve over kits so finding an integrated system was like the invention of TV to us.

Fortunately Redwood has already done all the hard setup work for the consumer because of the "additional" merits of the Ohlins design that you refer to. The thing is that if the consumer doesn't know what they're doing then they can negatively impact the overall clearances between sway bars and tie rods, battery clearance and the ground, or tire and the inner fender, etc..... The way a lot of other European dampers are set is such that you cannot change this position. There's a reason for that.

I digress and back to my point. If someone wanted to go through all the steps we did from scratch then this is what you would do.

1. Install the shock assembly without a spring or bump stop while leaving the car in the air.
2. Install the wheel and tire assembly onto the hub. Tighten it down.
3. Compress the suspension to a point where it bottoms out.
4. Inspect around the complete assembly to ensure there is no contact anywhere. This is where we are setting the "free length" or what I call the "critical shock length" because it is critical. If this length is too short then under full compression you will run the risk of unsettling the chassis or causing damage because other components of the vehicle will "bottom out" before the shock does.
5. Once that free length or critical shock length is set you can remove the suspension from the vehicle, install the spring with matching "preload", and put the whole assembly back in the car. Do this on all four corners.
6. Now you can tighten everything down, settle the car, and check for ride height.
7. Now you can document your current ride height, write it down, then determine your ideal ride height.
8. Then you'll have 2 #'s and of course you'll subtract the two #'s from each other to obtain your delta.
9. At this point it will be wise to know the motion ratios at the spring location so you can adjust height without going back and forth too many times. This will at least get you in the ballpark of your desired ride height. Fortunately they have done enough installs that there are a lot of baseline measurements that can be provided so the regular person won't need to go through all these hassles. Once again RW has done all that math for you and will be defined in their install guide.
10. Then it's an averaging between the adjusting the preload and displacing the actual shock bracket. In this case, for liability reasons, it's recommended to adjust preload only as Redwood wants to ensure there are no chances of the battery pack making contact.

I hope that clarifies the methodology. It's hard to find documentation on the internet because it's not something the average shop or technician is aware of but it is out there. I have seen it and read it. Generally it's all from motorsports teams.

I can't tell you how many "JDM" or "Taiwanese" type coilovers are installed incorrectly because no shop will be able to convince someone who bought $800 coilovers to spend $1000 to set them up as we would for a motorsports team. It's important to educate consumers on how this design should be properly installed so you don't risk bottoming out your ICE frame rails on the ground or EV battery pack on a Tesla or having other hard components contact each other before the shock bottoms out on itself. At the end of the day you don't want to curb at the track and have your tire smash up into the fender well or have anything contact prior to engaging the bumpstop on the damper. That's the premise of setting up the dampers to limit the vehicle from having an incident of catastrophic failure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc
I agree and disagree with you. This principle of height adjustment can vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle. I do appreciate your input. Please take the time to read below and let me know if something seems astray to you but I really do not want to flood this thread with information that contradicts the way the manufacturer is recommending things are done. You're not adding that much preload. Nothing near the 8-10" that Tesla does from the factory. Because of the limited amount of room on the front shock it's difficult to have a main and helper spring stacked. The method mentioned above is how Bilstein, KW, H&R, Eibach, Penske, JRZ, and the likes to it. Why would companies as reputable as that pursue a manufacturing method that is more costly than using universal damper tubes and just machining application specific lower brackets? If you google images of these types of dampers you will likely not see an independent lower bracket. As for KW, on the Model 3 you will also see the lack of a helper spring so height is adjusting by displacing the spring itself, ergo preload. I also was under the same impression as you 20 years ago when I first started importing coilovers from Japan. This is back when our only choices were using Koni Yellows and Ground Control sleeve over kits so finding an integrated system was like the invention of TV to us.

Fortunately Redwood has already done all the hard setup work for the consumer because of the "additional" merits of the Ohlins design that you refer to. The thing is that if the consumer doesn't know what they're doing then they can negatively impact the overall clearances between sway bars and tie rods, battery clearance and the ground, or tire and the inner fender, etc..... The way a lot of other European dampers are set is such that you cannot change this position. There's a reason for that.

I digress and back to my point. If someone wanted to go through all the steps we did from scratch then this is what you would do.

1. Install the shock assembly without a spring or bump stop while leaving the car in the air.
2. Install the wheel and tire assembly onto the hub. Tighten it down.
3. Compress the suspension to a point where it bottoms out.
4. Inspect around the complete assembly to ensure there is no contact anywhere. This is where we are setting the "free length" or what I call the "critical shock length" because it is critical. If this length is too short then under full compression you will run the risk of unsettling the chassis or causing damage because other components of the vehicle will "bottom out" before the shock does.
5. Once that free length or critical shock length is set you can remove the suspension from the vehicle, install the spring with matching "preload", and put the whole assembly back in the car. Do this on all four corners.
6. Now you can tighten everything down, settle the car, and check for ride height.
7. Now you can document your current ride height, write it down, then determine your ideal ride height.
8. Then you'll have 2 #'s and of course you'll subtract the two #'s from each other to obtain your delta.
9. At this point it will be wise to know the motion ratios at the spring location so you can adjust height without going back and forth too many times. This will at least get you in the ballpark of your desired ride height. Fortunately they have done enough installs that there are a lot of baseline measurements that can be provided so the regular person won't need to go through all these hassles. Once again RW has done all that math for you and will be defined in their install guide.
10. Then it's an averaging between the adjusting the preload and displacing the actual shock bracket. In this case, for liability reasons, it's recommended to adjust preload only as Redwood wants to ensure there are no chances of the battery pack making contact.

I hope that clarifies the methodology. It's hard to find documentation on the internet because it's not something the average shop or technician is aware of but it is out there. I have seen it and read it. Generally it's all from motorsports teams.

I can't tell you how many "JDM" or "Taiwanese" type coilovers are installed incorrectly because no shop will be able to convince someone who bought $800 coilovers to spend $1000 to set them up as we would for a motorsports team. It's important to educate consumers on how this design should be properly installed so you don't risk bottoming out your ICE frame rails on the ground or EV battery pack on a Tesla or having other hard components contact each other before the shock bottoms out on itself. At the end of the day you don't want to curb at the track and have your tire smash up into the fender well or have anything contact prior to engaging the bumpstop on the damper. That's the premise of setting up the dampers to limit the vehicle from having an incident of catastrophic failure.

Straight from an Ohlins install guide.

"If the height needs to be adjusted to reach the target height, change the length of the damper with the lower lock ring on the front damper and by moving the golden cup on the rear damper."

Your list is great if you are installing a bunch of unknowns.
As you've stated - they've done all the stroke measurement for you.
I am willing to bet that RW will not instruct you to change the front spring preload/freelength/spring length after initial setting.
Height adjustment will be done at the shock body.

This IS and option but not a good one.

I'm glad it works for you though. There are lots of ways to do everything.

Straight from an Ohlins install guide.

"If the height needs to be adjusted to reach the target height, change the length of the damper with the lower lock ring on the front damper and by moving the golden cup on the rear damper."

Your list is great if you are installing a bunch of unknowns.
As you've stated - they've done all the stroke measurement for you.
I am willing to bet that RW will not instruct you to change the front spring preload/freelength/spring length after initial setting.
Height adjustment will be done at the shock body.

This IS and option but not a good one.

I'm glad it works for you though. There are lots of ways to do everything.

I did forget to mention that if you're raising your car you can lengthen the overall shock but should not reduce it more than that "critical minimum length." Therefore, if you're lowering the vehicle on any corner, and the overall shock length is already set to its minimum, then it should be done at the spring. If you want to raise the vehicle you definitely can make that adjustment at the lower bracket.

The installation of my set was done at Redwood. I was simply there alongside to observe and assist. I have read the rough draft of their installation guide as well. This free length of the shock and critical shock length are all pretty standardized for the Model 3 because of its unique situation. RW will instruct you to adjust height at the spring because they will not want the overall free length of the assembly to differ from their recommendations. I am simply regurgitating information. I am glad that you see this is an option and this is why many companies do not allow the end user to mess with the overall shock length. This is a defined measurement for specific vehicles unless suspension pickup points might have changed from factory.

The installation of my set was done at Redwood. I was simply there alongside to observe and assist. I have read the rough draft of their installation guide as well. This free length of the shock and critical shock length are all pretty standardized for the Model 3 because of its unique situation. RW will instruct you to adjust height at the spring because they will not want the overall free length of the assembly to differ from their recommendations. I am simply regurgitating information. I am glad that you see this is an option and this is why many companies do not allow the end user to mess with the overall shock length. This is a defined measurement for specific vehicles unless suspension pickup points might have changed from factory.

Good info!

Good info!

Yes sir!!!! I think we're both in agreement now. I should have mentioned the difference between adjusting to go higher versus lower. I'll relay that to make sure RW does have that in their install guide. Since the MR is pretty substantial up front if it's a very minor change it would be easier to do it at the spring. Rotating the damper assembly might prove to be difficult with the factory uppermount due to the isolator. If you have their top hats like I do then it will be easy to rotate the shock body out of the lower fork bracket. I work next door to them and because their photographer was unwilling to come to the office due to the shelter in place I obliged and snapped a lot of the install images and video for them to help them through these rough times. I have my own company but get the feeling I might end up being the resident RW media guy since I'm next door. lol. You can see the rubber isolator as shown on the factory top hat in the image below.

RW Ohlins-6.jpg

I wasn't aware they weren't shipping yet, but I am now!

Ya a redesign was done to make it better and allow for more adjustment than the initial design. We wanted more camber. hahahaha. I love the fact that RW was willing to take the hit and just redo the whole front arm because it wasn't perfect in terms of adjustment range. It was sad to see my FUCA's there but in a pile for later use. They will likely work well on the Model Y so I'm sure they will still get used. For the Model 3 track guy it needed a redesign. All would have been well if the shelter in place didn't occur. There's a ton of backorders on all RW components. I'm super glad for them. I am running my car through mountains each weekend to put these control arms through some stresses and checking the bearing clearances etc..... It will take some time but so far so good. Everything is like butter and silent.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish