Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Electric Dream - well, i’m interested in coilovers for 3 reasons - lower ride, softer ride and more control/balance at corners. From the research i’ve done so far, there are the MPP comfort ones and the Ohlins GT by Redwood Motorsports. Just trying to figure out if Ohlins have noticeable difference compared to the MPP (KW v3) as there’s about a $1000 difference. Primarily focused on spirited street driving and not so much track (for now).

Also, some noise and durability issues were mentioned, but i think that might depend on how different everyone’s build is.

Just trying to get some honest feedback/validation. Thank you in advance!

@Electric Dream - well, i’m interested in coilovers for 3 reasons - lower ride, softer ride and more control/balance at corners. From the research i’ve done so far, there are the MPP comfort ones and the Ohlins GT by Redwood Motorsports. Just trying to figure out if Ohlins have noticeable difference compared to the MPP (KW v3) as there’s about a $1000 difference. Primarily focused on spirited street driving and not so much track (for now).

Also, some noise and durability issues were mentioned, but i think that might depend on how different everyone’s build is.

Just trying to get some honest feedback/validation. Thank you in advance!

Nothing but positive things to say. I wanted mine to be more sporty, while hopefully not losing comfort since it is my grocery getter.

I've had a couple cars on rebranded KW v3s. I always liked them, but once I switched to Ohlins on one of those cars I was sold. The KWs were great, but the Ohlins were a clear step above. To make the KWs comfortable the car would would lose too much of the handling, but I didn't need to make the same concessions on the Ohlins. Yes they're a good chunk more $$, but I think it's worth it. I have not been in a Tesla with the MPP/KWs though.

Reactions: RedwoodMotors
Yes, we have spring perches and bearing spacers to accommodate various spring diameters and various shaft sizes.

Our Ohlins kit runs a 70mm spring with 10mm shaft size. We also have 60/65/70mm spring perches and 10/12mm shaft size bearing spacers.

Could you tell me what spring size and shaft size you need?
Great. My kit comes with 61mm ID springs and 10mm shaft size. What’ll I need to mount these floating-hats. The 60mm perches?

Just finished having mine installed and I have to say, Redwood has put together a high quality package, here (I went with Dual Motor/Performance Sport). The coilovers definitely delivered on what I was looking for, which was no loss in daily road manners, while being able to close the fender gap and stiffen things up a bit for when I want to push it a bit harder. I actually liked the OEM performance suspension, save for the fact that I had a bit more roll than desired and it rode high (for me). So this setup improved on the pros and resolved the cons.

My shop even went so far as to say they stood out from the other installs they had done, and really liked the ride, which says a lot given the vehicles they work on. No noise or drama, glad the 3 community has access to quality hardware like this.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Just finished having mine installed and I have to say, Redwood has put together a high quality package, here (I went with Dual Motor/Performance Sport). The coilovers definitely delivered on what I was looking for, which was no loss in daily road manners, while being able to close the fender gap and stiffen things up a bit for when I want to push it a bit harder. I actually liked the OEM performance suspension, save for the fact that I had a bit more roll than desired and it rode high (for me). So this setup improved on the pros and resolved the cons.

My shop even went so far as to say they stood out from the other installs they had done, and really liked the ride, which says a lot given the vehicles they work on. No noise or drama, glad the 3 community has access to quality hardware like this.

That's great news. Where did you set your damping? If you have the standard 8/11 rates then I preferred anywhere from 20 open front and 22 open rear for the street but some prefer it slightly stiffer. Our surface conditions aren't the best and I love how the rebound feels at this setting. You can run it stiff if you prefer but I always felt that 2 clicks more open in the rear/softer was the best setup. I've probably tested dozens of them with my preferred settings here locally.

Reactions: Let's Drive
In case anyone wants to see their latest images. I have been helping them with their product photography. It's like a side hobby of mine. Enjoy the candy. You can also see their forged wheel samples they received last week.
20210203-Redwood Ohlins AWD.jpg
20210203-Redwood Ohlins RWD.jpg
20210203-Redwood Ohlins V2 adjuster.jpg
20210127-Redwood FUCA RUCA RTR.jpg
20210204-RWS5-Model Y.jpg
20210204-RWS5-Model 3-3.jpg

That's great news. Where did you set your damping? If you have the standard 8/11 rates then I preferred anywhere from 20 open front and 22 open rear for the street but some prefer it slightly stiffer. Our surface conditions aren't the best and I love how the rebound feels at this setting. You can run it stiff if you prefer but I always felt that 2 clicks more open in the rear/softer was the best setup. I've probably tested dozens of them with my preferred settings here locally.
I actually haven't settled on a setting, yet, but I'm likely to go stiffer, since it's my usual preference. Part of the fun is just going through the range and seeing how the vehicle reacts, but I'm going to play with my tire pressure and everything, since I also switched my tires to non-OEM PS4S. Definitely looking forward to more seat-time.

Above all, I'm glad it's noise-free and that it drives as stated. Thanks for your contributions to the community, too!

I actually haven't settled on a setting, yet, but I'm likely to go stiffer, since it's my usual preference. Part of the fun is just going through the range and seeing how the vehicle reacts, but I'm going to play with my tire pressure and everything, since I also switched my tires to non-OEM PS4S. Definitely looking forward to more seat-time.

Above all, I'm glad it's noise-free and that it drives as stated. Thanks for your contributions to the community, too!

Anytime!!!! Do you know where it is set currently? So regardless of where you go in the damping range I have found that 2 clicks softer or open in the rear is best. You can adjust your bias accordingly but that's where I have found mine.

Question on the Ohlins AWD Performance Sport with Top Hats. Does the newest design have the aluminum fork or the other fork design as the images seem to conflict each other unless I just missed something in their descriptions or an upgrade option. Can this be purchased without a helper spring and if so I would assume it would not mess up the set up with a single spring as all other kits that I have seen have just a single spring whether they use Swift Springs or not. Can anyone help or advise. I have no problem calling Redwood but I know how busy it can be to field a bunch of calls. Trying to figure all this out before I pull the trigger on the Ohlins or the KWs from the other vender.

Question on the Ohlins AWD Performance Sport with Top Hats. Does the newest design have the aluminum fork or the other fork design as the images seem to conflict each other unless I just missed something in their descriptions or an upgrade option. Can this be purchased without a helper spring and if so I would assume it would not mess up the set up with a single spring as all other kits that I have seen have just a single spring whether they use Swift Springs or not. Can anyone help or advise. I have no problem calling Redwood but I know how busy it can be to field a bunch of calls. Trying to figure all this out before I pull the trigger on the Ohlins or the KWs from the other vender.
I think what you mean is the last photo on the product page looks like the old fork design but I'm pretty sure that photo is of the RWD version of the fork. The AWD fork is the newer billet version. Yes, you can leave the helper spring out if you want to. There was a thread on here a while back where someone asked about that. I have the Redwood Sport Ohlins on my M3P and they are fantastic. I can't really understand why you would consider KW if you're prepared to pay for Ohlins. There's nothing wrong with KW but Ohlins are just on another level and if you can afford them it's a no brainer.

Reactions: Fulcrum
The front AWD fork got an update a few months ago (I got it shipped to me, but have not installed it yet). They are billet aluminum and look like the pictures on the RW site. The old AWD fork design can still be seen in the installation manual on RW site.

I asked about setting up w/o a helper spring in the early pages of this very thread. It's an option. If DIY'ing, it's also easier to install as you won't have wrestle the helper spring to stay in place while you're trying to compress the main/helper spring combo back in place.

I was gonna try it both ways, installed it with the helper spring first and haven't had the time to try the other setup.

Reactions: Fulcrum
Hi folks and redwood
I got AWD GT coils

Recently I got sound from rear. Recorded sound see attached.

First look show its somewhere on top hat or rear suspension (redwood unit)

We decided to change it from right to left, and sound moved as well.

So obviously its top hat (oem) or your unit.
Any help?

We planned try to replace both rear absorber/damper back to oem, so to determine is that top hat or rear absorber/damper.

Attachments

• 5 Apr, 17.51 rear suspension sound.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 158