Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 “turned off” while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched and could not find an example, but I used a supercharger for the first time yesterday and when I got in the car to wait, everything shut off when I shut the door. The screen showed charging, but the AC and radio turned off. My phone was connected and I could turn on climate though the phone app, but the car screen would not respond to touching. If I opened my door, the screen, radio and AC turned back on. It is like the car did not think anyone was inside despite applying the brake and touching the screen.

I tried everything I could think of and asked someone parked next to me, but he said he has never seen that before. Anyway, I finished my charging session with the door cracked so I could access the screen and listen to the radio. I’m planning a trip in a couple of weeks and would like to sort that out. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks for the reply. My wife and I were both in the car and apparently only while supercharging charging (It's never happened before). I did not reboot because I’m still nervous about doing that away from the house and just wanted to charge and free up the spot. I’ll reboot and try a supercharger again this weekend to see what happens.

Update - rebooted (brake and both scroll wheels) and tried supercharging again today. Same issue. Charges just fine, but when you get in and shut the door, the car shuts down and a static screen appears showing the charging process. I can turn the climate control on with the app, but the only way to have full access to the screen is to open the door. It’s like it does not know anyone is inside even though I press the brake and touch the screen.

We are driving to the Grand Canyon Sunday, so I guess I will just supercharge with the door open…hope it doesn’t rain.

Rebooting doesn't turn the car off, it restarts the computer system
You can thumbwheel reboot while driving the car, you'll lose the screen display, audio etc
but you can still drive.

There is another level of turning off other than powering off from the screen
which requires disconnecting the 12v battery supply
and removing the back seat and disconnecting HV connector from the battery penthouse

I think a service visit would be preferable before resorting that :)

Update - rebooted (brake and both scroll wheels) and tried supercharging again today. Same issue. Charges just fine, but when you get in and shut the door, the car shuts down and a static screen appears showing the charging process. I can turn the climate control on with the app, but the only way to have full access to the screen is to open the door. It’s like it does not know anyone is inside even though I press the brake and touch the screen.

We are driving to the Grand Canyon Sunday, so I guess I will just supercharge with the door open…hope it doesn’t rain.
Probably your driver's seat sensor (or some part of the circuit there) is faulty. The driver's seat sensor is supposed to keep the screen on (the passenger does not however, I tried). I've also tried pushing on the driver's seat manually and it does "wake" the screen.

Note there is a camp mode you can try to see if it can keep the car "awake". See page 126 in manual:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

I had the same problem, got seat sensor replaced at the service center. See attached. Tesla Display Repair.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: Harvey Danger
Sorry for the delayed response, but I think I discovered the problem. It is the seat sensor, but I'm a paraplegic and use an air cushion to sit on. It does a good job of skin protection (floatation), but also spreads out my weight to the point the seat sensor does not register. I need to reach under the cushion and push down with my hand briefly to "turn everything on". Unfortunately, that only lasts 5-10 minutes and then everything turns off again. I will still bring it up with service since it is possible the seat sensor is bad or maybe the sensitivity can be adjusted. Thanks to all that contributed.

• Informative
Reactions: Ecoli and oreobbq
Is this a "feature" rather than a "bug?"

I experienced a similar situation when connected to a charger. Often I exit the car doing errands and leave the entertainment or radio on for my wife in the passenger seat. This works fine, along with keeping the climate system on.

This week I has to stop at a charger and we started watching YouTube. When I exited the car the screen immediately switched to the Charging screen and turned off the Entertainment. My iPhone was still in the car so this must have been the seat sensor turning off the system.

Is there a way to exit the car while charging and leave the screen active for passengers? Seems to me that this should be available, at least as an option.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Is this a "feature" rather than a "bug?"

I experienced a similar situation when connected to a charger. Often I exit the car doing errands and leave the entertainment or radio on for my wife in the passenger seat. This works fine, along with keeping the climate system on.

This week I has to stop at a charger and we started watching YouTube. When I exited the car the screen immediately switched to the Charging screen and turned off the Entertainment. My iPhone was still in the car so this must have been the seat sensor turning off the system.

Is there a way to exit the car while charging and leave the screen active for passengers? Seems to me that this should be available, at least as an option.
Someone upthread said you can try half closing your door next time (not fully closed). That may keep the screen awake.
Model 3 “turned off” while charging