Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - 1 week review after replacing a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yOAGds-bBDlXyTsdoWYAnGBpLYMKoFAPWhH2WDAtpefLbN7d1aIcmF93Bp1ZWNeeU-wQ1LoEPEOW1Evn30o8IbU4xErRkGsnB7DNl7dLYbWU8d69ZC6HmcvvuBZtIZ8XPGz4jq8rh5Lo0VaEb2qDBe12LqpyD7GHz26VcdmyVH95rjtdQgEGZ3EU9jYSBVgdbU5eQmWHxlcUiLm3xFajlTZ6PEcejedUnyDSrXidqQPfl0rIeDq6JoUFWZAw2t0XhLjFkkL5I5AYDQsjx468BOVqBSWAO-dVeU4keobQKyG6KtGOEEqs_bagALKiuf_Q3PK3xcEJdwZ4xZByUf0rzAhsKnc7rGDRAIwih-XcVh-mzlOTRqiEys46md0INwethKVjhDa6sPggytWUKlQzLRiLAt4BNWCxq00yoCG5SHCOX6G8MgP7YEbjmiMxWldtv1hDff_sjiqPGHvJez-HKxuY7o77ToQPpfvepTKnLwMIIdNV9V38VhpUKxcmlqFrb17QVAxxQmMT4l75gUs9SAkfKaMyfq5Oin1s23jbxUM4rDgqllL1PCKEx114mhDSiDCfJxuszXEctH57iMXuC-uAuCVtu9j8EtojEm4CJZG6i4Ee-knQb26gu9l0ZTf4f_CRhcYdkVcA1gKbrSSZ3hU77WlSDO2saUgh3JalRYlhX0ixxfFDngMe=w1454-h1090-no

So for some information about the shop mods on the car, you can see how things like the tint, wheels, chrome delete, and PPF look. I can't even see the PPF on the car, except for some issues on the side mirrors. I talked to the shop, and they are going to re-do them for me free of charge, though you can really only see the issues from the mirror side. (What you see every day when you drive) They really did a great job over all.

From this angle, it looks like the tint on the front and rear side windows is different but it is the same. I have not had the opportunity to shine the tires yet either. Still, I think the chrome delete looks really sharp with the Red, though the chrome also looks good with the red if you have the sport wheels in my opinion. The white seats help to make the interior look lighter with the tint as well. After looking at it for a bit, I would say that I will likely paint the calipers red. They look really plain straight on. It is funny to me how the Model S/X OEM wheel design somehow became a desirable design for a different Tesla model for me. I decided not to change the color of the hood emblem, but will be changing the trunk emblem to black eventually as well.

I am not usually a fan of the blacked out look, but I gotta say - "This looks sweet!". The red/white/black contrast really works here.

Thanks! I saw one of the early LR adopters do it and said "that's what I want" as soon as I saw it. I wasn't sure how the white seats would work but I knew I wanted them too. I had all black interior on my S and it was too much for me. I really like the white on the 3.

Thanks Doves!

----------

Quick reviews on some of the aftermarket products I purchased.

I have already posted about the center console wrap and the rims, so I will not re-hash those. I would only suggest that you do protect your center console with either a Vinyl wrap or a clear bra of some kind as it will easily scratch.

I purchased the "Cup Holder Hero" cup holder and cubby liners off of amazon in black and red. There isn't much to say about the product except that it fits perfectly, it looks good, and things really seems to hug well to it. I wish it would cost about $15 instead of $25, but I'm all for products that can make keeping my car clean easier, while adding a little bit of color at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Cente...4229&sr=sr-1&keywords=tesla+model+3+cup+liner

Abstract Ocean Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector - Matte
I was really against this one for a lot of reasons. For one, I didn't see much of a point to a screen protector. At least, not in the conventional sense. No normal person should scratch the screen in a Model 3. It just doesn't get put in a situation where you would. Tesla even gives you a flimsy one too, which isn't half bad. Where you can get into trouble really is if you take off the one Tesla gives you, and then clean your screen. Then, there is a small change you might wipe some dirt and damage it. So what are the real issues. Fingerprints and some reflections. I purchased this along with some LED lights (I'll get to those in a minute) before my car was delivered, even though I posted that I didn't think it was necessary. I just gave in. I spent forever trying to keep dust off the screen before putting it on but it kept showing up. Finally I was able to put it on without any dust and the install itself (minus the cleaning) was simple. The protector is pretty thick. It definitely reduces reflections and lowers fingerprint visibility, but it also dulls the crispness of the screen. I will continue to drive with it for a while and see how I like the trade-off. You give a little to get a little.

Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3

Upgraded LED lights (Various Brands) I put some Red LEDs in my footwells, upgraded my door puddle lights, and my trunk lights. This one is a no brainer. It is an easy installation, and the difference is obvious. I think everyone should upgrade their footwell and trunk lights. The puddle lights aren't that big of a deal TBH, and the custom ones are to your own personal taste. I got mine from RPM tesla. Be careful when doing the trunk lights as the snap in bracket is just a thin loose piece of rectangular plastic. You can feel it through the perforated trunk liner with your fingers and need to snap it on the light on both ends when you replace it. This is the one upgrade I would recommend to every person, seconded only with a console wrap.

Aluminum Pedals
The listing may not say "Model 3" but these will fit a model 3. Install is simple and they are cheap. Really, it is so inexpensive and they look so much better than the OEM ones, why wouldn't you do this for $18?

2pcs Aluminum Non-Slip Performance Foot Pedal Pads for Tesla Model S and Model X | eBay

I'm now looking into some 12V cigarette lighter splitters that will fit with the tray, and allow me to both power a power magic battery for a blackvue install and get a higher amp charging option for my phone.

I will be testing to see if this one will fit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1LV7C9/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

I plan on using this video as a guide to sending power from the cigarette lighter to the phone bay in the front console so that the phone will charge at a high rate vs the 1Amp the front USB ports provide.

It will also free up a front USB port that way too. It will also future proof for an upgrade to a nomad pad as well.

Nice ride!

Did you find the chrome brake pedal to be too wide where it didn't properly wrap around the metal? Mine were.

The front USBs should be 2 amps or more...Front USB Ports >2 Amps

Hmm, I'll get a tester and test it out. I've seen several videos that show only 1 Amp, and I've also seen my phone charge insanely slow from the front ports, but maybe those videos are old and out of date. First hand accounts are the best way to test! (Ordered a tester on amazon and should test it Wednesday) Odd, since I've seen so many places where they show a need to wire to the 12V port to get high speed charging. Still, thanks for the info!

As for the pedals, yes I noticed the brake pedal was wider than the OEM one but it snapped on just fine and I have had no issues with it. It is not loose or anything like that.

I understand people want to milk out every ounce of range in their car or performance out of it, but the rims were just for looks and the tires were bundled with them from TSportline on sale.

No, I get it. Considering the same wheels for looks - and they do look awesome, but they are also one of the heaviest you can get. Was hoping you had real world numbers in terms of range/consumption before and after wheel and tire swap. For science, and because I was curious.

It's no about squeezing range. I am in the same boat as you, where most of my driving is commuting and I usually don't do road trips. I do care about efficiency, however, as that affects my bottom line at the plug.

No, I get it. Considering the same wheels for looks - and they do look awesome, but they are also one of the heaviest you can get. Was hoping you had real world numbers in terms of range/consumption before and after wheel and tire swap. For science, and because I was curious.

It's no about squeezing range. I am in the same boat as you, where most of my driving is commuting and I usually don't do road trips. I do care about efficiency, however, as that affects my bottom line at the plug.

Don't know any of exact numbers. They are basically the OEM Model S Rims. Would be hard to do actual side by side testing since all of the variations between driving styles over time.

For some general math, I believe general rule of thumb for rim weight vs load weight is something like a 10x multiplier due to rotational mass. At 29lbs, it is about 6 lbs more per rim (If you include the caps), that adds 240lbs to the car. That isn't nothing. Then of course difference in tires. Now the 20" flow forged wheels Tsportline sells actually weigh less than the OEM Aeros. But they also have almost no visible material. ( I need it to have some substance to have that black look ) So maybe there will be a good alternative in time that doesn't weigh so much. Anyway, that weight will make the 0-60 time slower for sure, and also decrease the total range. I just don't know by how much. The 20" OEM P+ Sport wheels tesla sells are also heavy. Buying the 19" Tesla sport wheels and powder coating them black would have been more efficient, but it would have also cost quite a bit more money. At the same time, the total of that money would have been way more expensive than any power savings you would gain from that loss of weight.

Last edited: