Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And if you go by the 20-80% SOC theory that turns into 300 miles, less if it is cold outside
Which then becomes 150mi.

Take it from someone who struggled to get 150mi usable range on a recent interstate trip in freezing but dry conditions. 500mi range would at best make it possible to skip an SC stop or stay in the meatiest part of the charging curve (10-60%)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Again, WHO is driving 300 miles without stopping?

these guys :)

smokey.jpg

Again, WHO is driving 300 miles without stopping? Why would they spend extra money to develop for these extreme fringe cases? Makes no sense.

I'll drive 1,500 miles without stopping in my truck with 100 gal tank.
On trips to Georgia when we take the gasser I stop only for fuel, actually, I only stop for fuel no matter what I'm driving. So me and everyone I know would drive 300 miles without stopping, that's not even 4 hours of driving.

Reactions: Msjulie
On trips to Georgia when we take the gasser I stop only for fuel, actually, I only stop for fuel no matter what I'm driving. So me and everyone I know would drive 300 miles without stopping, that's not even 4 hours of driving.
Yeah: 300mi RW range (or ~450+ rated) would be pretty sweet if only to get able to skip an SC while only charging up in the fastest 60%.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

I’m a distance runner. I can run for hours and go through 4-6 pairs of shoes a year. Shoes should be made to last for at least 2,000 miles for my needs.

But I’m not the average user, I’m on the fringe.

Just like you driving (and people you know) driving a 1,000 miles straight.

I’m a distance runner. I can run for hours and go through 4-6 pairs of shoes a year. Shoes should be made to last for at least 2,000 miles for my needs.

We need to start a MUT runner group here. I completed the Dreadmill 100 in December. :)

I drive to and from places that are 150 miles away with no SC in between. As my LR degrades further and further since I’m down to 285 rated now it’s going to make it harder to make this trip easily. Not all of us live in places with plentiful SuperChargers and or perfect weather.

@ElectricAIC It’s been down to about 281 when at 13000 miles. It’s made it’s way back up to 285 now just shy of 17000. This is a November 2018 AWD. I had been charging to 90% daily and have dropped to 80% since it got to around 13000. I have 18s that I had removed the aero caps from . I added them back on recently but still was told I wouldn’t make a 280 mile round trip excursion which luckily has a SC at the mid point in each direction.

@ElectricAIC It’s been down to about 281 when at 13000 miles. It’s made it’s way back up to 285 now just shy of 17000. This is a November 2018 AWD. I had been charging to 90% daily and have dropped to 80% since it got to around 13000. I have 18s that I had removed the aero caps from . I added them back on recently but still was told I wouldn’t make a 280 mile round trip excursion which luckily has a SC at the mid point in each direction.
That’s pretty crazy. I’m still sitting at 297-300 and am close to hitting 20K on the P3D. Charge to 90% daily, discharge down to around 10-15%.

230260D4-E15D-400E-B1FE-210877DC6B26.jpeg

Again, WHO is driving 300 miles without stopping? Why would they spend extra money to develop for these extreme fringe cases? Makes no sense.

I can drive from the east coast of Florida to the west and back without getting gas. That’s not yet possible in an EV.

It’s not a weekly thing and superchargers are nice enough, but a 400 mile battery makes the discussion moot. I imagine that’s true for a lot of folks.

The goal for Tesla is to remove any objections to EVs so they’re the clear winner. They’ve got just a little bit more to go on batteries to get there.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

300 miles isn't an extreme fringe case, that's simply Houston to Dallas at normal driving speeds.

300 miles isn't an extreme fringe case, that's simply Houston to Dallas at normal driving speeds.

It’s not the distance that’s the issue, it’s driving for 4+ hours non stop that is my point.

Besides the fact that most ICE cars can’t do 400+ miles, it is a documented fact that sitting that long without a break in the same position is physically unhealthy. People already sue over frivolous crap.

Next on 60 Minutes: “It’s Tesla’s fault I drove 5+ hours and got a blood clot that almost killed me. I’m suing for $200 million so this doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

It’s not the distance that’s the issue, it’s driving for 4+ hours non stop that is my point.

Besides the fact that most ICE cars can’t do 400+ miles, it is a documented fact that sitting that long without a break in the same position is physically unhealthy. People already sue over frivolous crap.

Next on 60 Minutes: “It’s Tesla’s fault I drove 5+ hours and got a blood clot that almost killed me. I’m suing for $200 million so this doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

I don't know a single person who stops to take a break from Houston Metro to DFW, again that's about 3 hours of driving if you're just keeping up with traffic, less than the 4 you're complaining about.

And most ICE cars get well over 400 miles to a tank. you seem to forget that most cars get 35-40 mpg, even big cars like a Toyota Avalon getting using 14 of its 16gallon tank at 30mpg (less than rated range) would get 420 miles on a tank. The Mid-size Camry has a 16 gallon tank and rated at 41mpg that's 656 miles and way past the 400 you like to think cars can't do. Most every car sold in America outside of huge V-8s sports cars get at least 400-500 miles to a tank.

Eh?

U.S. vehicle fuel economy rises to record 24.7 mpg: EPA

and that's NEW vehicles... plenty of old ones doing worse still on the road.

Here, let me quote the very first sentence with some added emphasis

The fuel economy of new U.S. cars and trucks hit a record 24.7 miles per gallon in the 2016 model year

And what I said...
you seem to forget that most cars get 35-40 mpg...

And what I was responding to:

...Besides the fact that most ICE cars can’t do 400+ miles...

Even if we add Trucks into the mix they get well over 400 miles to a tank as well. Range was the topic of discussion not specifically MPG. The point was with cars getting much better MPG in the last years their ranges are well beyond 400 miles.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Range isn't just useful for a marathon drive. A larger battery allows:
  • Faster supercharging
  • Long range in cold with heater on
  • Higher power output (performance)
  • Going to a destination without easily available charging, and using heat, sentry, other niceties for an extended period of time
To name a few.
Agree. I did a 300 mile round trip last weekend but with no SC for 30 miles. In theory with a full battery I could have done it without charging, but that would have meant driving at 40-50mph the whole way with no heat in temperatures of 6-7C. I ended up sitting on a charger in a supermarket for 3 hours to get 65 miles more range.

It is not driving 300 -400 miles in one go that matters, it is return trips to remote places with crappy charging infrastructure where an extra 100 miles would come in handy. I used to get 800 miles out of a tank of diesel in my Ford SMax whatever the temperature and could be as toasty as I wanted without affecting the range. Don't get me wrong, I love my M3LRAWD, but just occasionally wish it went a bit further or there was overnight charging at every destination.