Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knightshade, you apparently don’t actually drive in this part of the country. ABQ to Page (& beyond Page) is a route I do frequently. I usually use my ICE (diesel) truck instead of my M3. The key leg is Gallup to Page. 252 miles SC to SC using the shortest & best route thru the Navajo Nation. There is a stretch of 7000’+ elevation in between. I don’t dare drive it in my LRAWD. There isn’t even an L2 charger anywhere in between these 2 SCs! With the M3 I must take an alternate route thru Flagstaff & it sucks. Flagstaff SC is a pain to get to & this route adds 62 miles of mostly bad US89 between Flag & Page. Flag SC is qonly a 72KW urban charger. Gallup to the Holbrook SC & then to Page is slightly better, but not shorter. The northern route thru Farmington sucks even worse, bad roads & much increased total distance. We need the long-promised SC at Kayenta AZ. ABQ to Durango with an out-of-the-way side trip to the Farmington SC also sucks.

I think the point made is that until superchargers become more frequent overall and especially on secondary routes we will need to consider larger batteries to supplement that. At the same time though you can’t really go too much below a certain threshold less you sacrifice power output vs draw.

Even if it meant occasionally relying on expensive Electrify America rates I could even compromise switching adapters to where all DCFC capable cars go to CCS (or all adopt the Tesla standard but that has about a snowballs chance in hell)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I think the point made is that until superchargers become more frequent overall and especially on secondary routes we will need to consider larger batteries to supplement that. At the same time though you can’t really go too much below a certain threshold less you sacrifice power output vs draw.

Even if it meant occasionally relying on expensive Electrify America rates I could even compromise switching adapters to where all DCFC capable cars go to CCS (or all adopt the Tesla standard but that has about a snowballs chance in hell)

Honestly, other charger networks rates seem really high, but Superchargers are still expensive too. Especially per-minute Urban Superchargers, which put you at a similar price to other networks effectively since you're mostly paying at the second tier (>60kW), but only pulling about 70kW.

My recent trip worked out to about CAD$0.295/kWh when using mostly Superchargers, but even some free public charging (probably about 200kWh?) and some very limited use of CHAdeMO stations (maybe 100kWh out of 1203kWh). For reference, the "very expensive" Flo/Greenlots CHAdeMO stations here are $0.30/min, which works out to about $0.360/kWh.

Side note, WTH is with fast-charging prices? They are way too high. I get there's infrastructure costs and such, but it's ridiculous. Do we need government regulations like for home electricity? Do we need to adopt the gas station model and have other revenue streams on site (e.g. convenience store)? There's gotta be a better way, it's close to the cost of an efficient gas vehicle while charging at home is way cheaper (even considering the cost of charger installation, if that's needed).

Anyhow. More chargers, yes please. I can pretty much get around even the more rural parts of my province comfortably with CHAdeMO at this point, albeit slowly.

Locally SC are by the minute and are between 0.22-0.28/min T1, 0.11-0.14/min T2 meanwhile EA..
057F304D-0996-4C6F-9800-1EDF943ACA41.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110