Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind it's total speculation from a questionable journalist that got his info from a Twitter post by someone who hacks into Tesla code and posts some of what he finds. There was speculation back in Feb 2018 about a 100kwh pack coming in the next 6 months, and you can see how that panned out. I personally wouldn't make any purchase decisions based on this article.

Here's the source's own disclaimer...

View attachment 490980

Ignore the electrek part and look at the source. It does take a bit of work to get the info and the person goes beyond "hacking" and posts info about the visualization of what the Tesla NN sees

green on Twitter

Also I don't recall the actual hacker saying something will come in 6 months. Just lots of speculation

Well, yes performance means faster. All cars got faster - no diff. AWD gets a 2k boost option theres a diff. All cars are the same at the higher end - no diff. I see no diff for the P3.
The P3D+ costs 4k more than an LR AWD. For those 4k you get 1+ second better acceleration from 0-100, you get a carbon fibre spoiler, track day brakes, track mode and 20" rims.
You can buy a 2k add to the LR AWD and get around 0.5s better accel, but the other additions are still missing.
I think the Stealth is better value, but over here they are rarer than unicorns. Also, you don't get the other additions than speed and track mode.

The P3D+ costs 4k more than an LR AWD. For those 4k you get 1+ second better acceleration from 0-100, you get a carbon fibre spoiler, track day brakes, track mode and 20" rims.
You can buy a 2k add to the LR AWD and get around 0.5s better accel, but the other additions are still missing.
I think the Stealth is better value, but over here they are rarer than unicorns. Also, you don't get the other additions than speed and track mode.
Spoiler looks like it adds nothing to the function (zero rake + minimal extension), and doesn't do much for the looks. Larger wheels not necessarily better. Red calipers look cool but not functionally relevant to anybody who doesn't track.

Knowing you got the Full Kitchen Sink edition is kinda nice, though.

BTW did you receive your car?

Spoiler looks like it adds nothing to the function (zero rake + minimal extension), and doesn't do much for the looks. Larger wheels not necessarily better. Red calipers look cool but not functionally relevant to anybody who doesn't track.

Spoiler adds downforce (already tested/proven), tires are miles better. 3P+ isn’t for everyone but it’s a better rounded vehicle in terms of performance.

Reactions: raptor5244

Those points are true, but if you buy the car with those options then you're not getting a bad deal. You're either buying them because you want them, or you're fooling yourself.

I got mine, and it is FANTASTIC!

Spoiler adds downforce (already tested/proven), tires are miles better. 3P+ isn’t for everyone but it’s a better rounded vehicle in terms of performance.
Market here specs Pilot Sport 4 in 18", and Hankook S1 Evo in 19", so they're very good tires per se, with appropriate trade off in comfort vs performance to the 20" 4S due to profile.

I'm very curious about the testing for spoiler. Citation? CFD model? Wind tunnel model? Mine is flat as a frying pan and is barely 1" long. Like somebody steamrolled a Gurney flap.

Market here specs Pilot Sport 4 in 18", and Hankook S1 Evo in 19", so they're very good tires per se, with appropriate trade off in comfort vs performance to the 20" 4S due to profile.

I'm very curious about the testing for spoiler. Citation? CFD model? Wind tunnel model? Mine is flat as a frying pan and is barely 1" long. Like somebody steamrolled a Gurney flap.

Yeah let me get you the link:

Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

34.7% more downforce with the Tesla spoiler. You can read more in that link.

Where are you located? Your 18s get way better tires than the crap Primacy we get in the USA.

Those points are true, but if you buy the car with those options then you're not getting a bad deal. You're either buying them because you want them, or you're fooling yourself.

I got mine, and it is FANTASTIC!
Nice! Build was better?

I drove over some ruts and troubled roads in Telemark yesterday, and surprisingly the ride quality was still good. The Hakka R3 also flew up some iced inclines without hesitation!

I think it’s hilarious that P- owners care if track mode is enabled, but don’t want to pay for the P+ upgrades that would be beneficial to actual track use, which track mode was designed for...

I think it’s hilarious that P- owners care if track mode is enabled, but don’t want to pay for the P+ upgrades that would be beneficial to actual track use, which track mode was designed for...

I suppose the theory is that you can always upgrade the brakes, wheels, tires, aero after the purchase but you can’t add Track Mode unless Tesla gives you it. So if I were a 3P- owner I guess that could be a consideration.

Reactions: ZappCatt and dww12
I suppose the theory is that you can always upgrade the brakes, wheels, tires, aero after the purchase but you can’t add Track Mode unless Tesla gives you it. So if I were a 3P- owner I guess that could be a consideration.

If that’s the case then they’ve probably spent more than just buying the P+ in the first place. Which would make the P- a penny wise, pound foolish purchase.

Edit: Don’t forget they have to lower the car as well...

If that’s the case then they’ve probably spent more than just buying the P+ in the first place. Which would make the P- a penny wise, pound foolish purchase.

Oh I agree completely. That’s why I bought the 3P+. The 3P- was of no interest to me. And while you can get better brakes and better suspension and better...whatever... after the fact - I love the OEM look and love my warranty, which with a Tesla is a must.

Even the OEM Primacy tires on a 3P- makes no sense to me. They scrabble so hard on cornering, even if you’re just having spirited drives around town. It definitely makes me think of the traditional American sense of “performance,” that is - living life a quarter mile at a time! We don’t need no stinking corners!

Yeah let me get you the link:

Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

34.7% more downforce with the Tesla spoiler. You can read more in that link.

Where are you located? Your 18s get way better tires than the crap Primacy we get in the USA.
I'm in the Nordics. I think the reason is that due to extreme climates, it wouldn't make sense to stock all seasons.

Thanks for the link. I'm highly skeptical about the downforce, because that article only provide relative values. If the base vehicle generates 1kg of downforce at 150mph, a 35% improvement brings that to 1.35kg. Basically within noise levels.

They also claim their high performance config provides 464% improvement over the OEM performance spoiler. Assuming a modest 20kg of downforce from OEM, it means their little aftermarket flap takes that up to 110kg. Which is roughly equivalent to the insane M4 GTS racing wing or Audi V8 R10 measured around 180mph.

Assuming the 1.35kg case above, then the aftermarket goes to 7.5kg, which is ...a bit more believable. It's even plausible that the car has a bit of net lift to start with.

Clever marketers those guys are.

Reactions: Sherlo
I'm in the Nordics. I think the reason is that due to extreme climates, it wouldn't make sense to stock all seasons.

Thanks for the link. I'm highly skeptical about the downforce, because that article only provide relative values. If the base vehicle generates 1kg of downforce at 150mph, a 35% improvement brings that to 1.35kg. Basically within noise levels.

They also claim their high performance config provides 464% improvement over the OEM performance spoiler. Assuming a modest 20kg of downforce from OEM, it means their little aftermarket flap takes that up to 110kg. Which is roughly equivalent to the insane M4 GTS racing wing or Audi V8 R10 measured around 180mph.

Assuming the 1.35kg case above, then the aftermarket goes to 7.5kg, which is ...a bit more believable. It's even plausible that the car has a bit of net lift to start with.

Clever marketers those guys are.

Sure. I mean for most of us we’re buying a spoiler because it looks great. And I happen to think the OEM spoiler looks great - especially since it breaks up the somewhat bulbous-looking trunk.

And yes it makes sense where you are to have different tire options. But if you live in sunny California you still get crappy all-seasons.

Elon keeps talking about a "million mile" battery pack that the model 3 will be getting - but hasn't said how many KW it is. Maybe it's 100KW.

I would expect the larger the pack, the greater the longevity. That’s pretty much true of any battery, all things being equal. You just use fewer cycles because you don’t use as much of the battery on a day-to-day basis.