Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Gasaraki
The P3D+ costs 4k more than an LR AWD. For those 4k you get 1+ second better acceleration from 0-100, you get a carbon fibre spoiler, track day brakes, track mode and 20" rims.
You can buy a 2k add to the LR AWD and get around 0.5s better accel, but the other additions are still missing.
I think the Stealth is better value, but over here they are rarer than unicorns. Also, you don't get the other additions than speed and track mode.

Well I wasn't going to mention the 4K diff but I guess it is what it is now.
i dont think the P is 1+ sec quicker than the AWD. The guy who posted in "2.9" sec seems to have gotten lucky but most other tests show no improvement on the P. Meanwhile the AWD makes great gains for the money.

They are testing a stretched out model 3 in China because rich people like to be driven there. It makes sense that they would fit a larger battery pack and offer more power. No doubt this will cost way more than normal anyway.

They are testing a stretched out model 3 in China because rich people like to be driven there. It makes sense that they would fit a larger battery pack and offer more power. No doubt this will cost way more than normal anyway.

They are? Got any links, pictures or other citations for that? First I've heard of a stretched Model 3 in China, so don't mind my skepticism.

If that’s the case then they’ve probably spent more than just buying the P+ in the first place. Which would make the P- a penny wise, pound foolish purchase.

Edit: Don’t forget they have to lower the car as well...
Maybe today, but the original P+ was $5000 more than the P- and there were no spec differences listed on the P+ brakes.

Well I wasn't going to mention the 4K diff but I guess it is what it is now.
i dont think the P is 1+ sec quicker than the AWD. The guy who posted in "2.9" sec seems to have gotten lucky but most other tests show no improvement on the P. Meanwhile the AWD makes great gains for the money.
I've had both, and there's a significant difference when flooring the P compared to the AWD. The acceleration difference will be very noticeable when it's already this low. 15 Vs 20 seconds don't feel all that different. 5 vs 4 seconds feels VERY different.
Anyway, if you pay 4k for the additions then you get them. Don't know how P owners come out worse than any other owner.

I've had both, and there's a significant difference when flooring the P compared to the AWD. The acceleration difference will be very noticeable when it's already this low. 15 Vs 20 seconds don't feel all that different. 5 vs 4 seconds feels VERY different.
Anyway, if you pay 4k for the additions then you get them. Don't know how P owners come out worse than any other owner.

Yep, my friend has a LR AWD Model, and the difference in acceleration between that and the P is night and day. The lower you get down in the seconds, the faster it feels, exponentially. That's why a Roadster doing 1.9-2.1 seconds to 60 is literally unfathomable to me. Even the Ludicrous P100D is in another league of acceleration to the 3P at 2.5 seconds-or-so to 60.

Reactions: DrtyJrze
Yes I know what you're saying. I'm just saying that no matter what you paid for the P vs AWD, that difference is narrowing with these updates.

And so is the price! A LR-AWD (with 18 all-seasons) with boost $2k update vs a stock 3P+ at the track is still going to get murdered.

If you're saying there maybe should be a P update so we can get Ludicrous Mode on the P, then yes - that would be aces.

Reactions: DrtyJrze
The added weight / volume depends on if Tesla is planning on integrating newer battery technology that has a higher energy density - I'd wager their is a high probability of this and we could maybe see this sometime in late 2020. If they're able to squeeze 100 kWh in the same space as the current 75 kWh then that would be fantastic news. I expect that their acquisition of Maxwell technologies is surely going to bear fruit for their next gen battery and they will likely be showing them off this coming year in one of Elon's mentioned 'technology announcements' expected. Maxwell already did a research paper which stated higher energy density cell designs with improved power capability.

Doesn't the Roadster have a 200 kWh battery? Seems pretty possible that they will offer a 100 kWh option

And so is the price! A LR-AWD (with 18 all-seasons) with boost $2k update vs a stock 3P+ at the track is still going to get murdered.

If you're saying there maybe should be a P update so we can get Ludicrous Mode on the P, then yes - that would be aces.

1 second off a P+ for $2k? I’d buy it the instant it was released. That’s not happening though. I’d still take .5 seconds.

Reactions: Sherlo