Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude, you keep trying to chase the latest. I’ll save you the trouble: no matter what you buy something else is coming out better.

So save yourself time and money and preorder a cyber truck. That will give you two years to chase the rabbit for only $100, and in another forum...

and that’s why i bought a “cheap” sr+. it gets all the cool updates and i don’t have to pee my pants about vehicle value when tesla brings out bigger models.

Reactions: WilliamG
Doesn't the Roadster have a 200 kWh battery? Seems pretty possible that they will offer a 100 kWh option

The Roadster is two 100 kWh packs stacked on top of each other and just from current batteries in it's original configuration. I imagine it's not ideal and adds complexity and cost. Franz said the car has evolved a lot since then and will be even better than the reveal car in every way. My inkling is that they're actually going to use the new batteries in it (hence why the further delay), but also why Franz said it will be well worth the extra wait. Two 100 kWh packs of the 2170 cells probably weighs an insane amount. If they can reduce weight by 500-1000 pounds they could possibly have a 1.5 or maybe even 1.5 second to 60 car.

Why? The P- cost less than a P+.

Using that logic the people who just paid $2k for the boost should get the same 0-60 as the stealth, but they didn’t.
Because the people that bought the P3D- were told it will have the same performance as the P3D+. The only difference was cosmetics and suspension/bigger brakes. Many people that buy P3D- prefer to put their own 20" lighter forged wheels and a better suspension than the stock performance suspension.

Because the people that bought the P3D- were told it will have the same performance as the P3D+. The only difference was cosmetics and suspension/bigger brakes. Many people that buy P3D- prefer to put their own 20" lighter forged wheels and a better suspension than the stock performance suspension.

No sure what that means. It DID have the same performance when you bought it. Offering an upgrade for one and not the other later on doesn’t change that fact.

I’m sure “many people” don’t upgrade anything on a stealth. It’s a bragging rights thing for the “many people” that stop light race. They don’t care about wheels/tires, brakes, etc.

No sure what that means. It DID have the same performance when you bought it. Offering an upgrade for one and not the other later on doesn’t change that fact.

I’m sure “many people” don’t upgrade anything on a stealth. It’s a bragging rights thing for the “many people” that stop light race. They don’t care about wheels/tires, brakes, etc.

You are incorrect. Many people DO indeed upgrade wheels, suspension, etc on the stealth.

Reactions: Msjulie
Regarding battery packs and the potential for 100 kwh pack, has anyone thought to figure out the size of the pack under a S that has 100 and then compare it to the size of the pack under a 3?

Are there tear down videos that show how the batteries are arranged in the different variants of a three such that one could deduce if there were room for more?

Regarding battery packs and the potential for 100 kwh pack, has anyone thought to figure out the size of the pack under a S that has 100 and then compare it to the size of the pack under a 3?

Are there tear down videos that show how the batteries are arranged in the different variants of a three such that one could deduce if there were room for more?

I think probably we're overthinking it. Don't forget the new Roadster supposedly will have a 200kWh pack... I don't doubt for a second that Tesla can fit a 100kWh pack in the Model 3.

I think probably we're overthinking it. Don't forget the new Roadster supposedly will have a 200kWh pack... I don't doubt for a second that Tesla can fit a 100kWh pack in the Model 3.

I mean, Elon explicitly said they can't, but you do you.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I get when folks doubt Elon because he's promising some future feature that doesn't work yet... but here he's simply saying existing battery tech can't physically fit in a car that exists and has known dimensions.

So no 100kwh pack unless they redesign the car (not happening barely 2 years into production especially with GF3 just getting going) or they switch to a different, denser, battery tech (which would happen in the more expensive S/X first anyway as they've made a very very obvious effort to keep S range ahead of the the 3)

So if I had to be cassandra about it I'd say at BEST you could:

Look for newer,denser, battery tech in the S mid 2020 when Plaid comes along.... then showing up in Roadster and X maybe 2021 or very end of 2020 depending how they can ramp the new battery production (Musk specifically said X/Roadster later)

And then that in the 3/Y maybe 2022 since the 3 will be ~5 years old by then and a bit of a facelift wouldn't hurt anyway... plus 2022 is when I expect actual competitors will be showing up in decent numbers so another generational tech jump would make sense.

and at worst:

If Plaid comes out and it's just S/X/Roadster using 2170 cells (which are about 50% denser than the 18650 they use now).... you're looking at even longer to see 100kwh in a 3/Y.

And given they probably would want a longer return on investment on 2170s than just a couple years of 3 production, that seems even more likely than the best case scenario.

The wildcard there is how quick they get maxwell tech into a production battery.

I mean, Elon explicitly said they can't, but you do you.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I get when folks doubt Elon because he's promising some future feature that doesn't work yet... but here he's simply saying existing battery tech can't physically fit in a car that exists and has known dimensions.

So no 100kwh pack unless they redesign the car (not happening barely 2 years into production especially with GF3 just getting going) or they switch to a different, denser, battery tech (which would happen in the more expensive S/X first anyway as they've made a very very obvious effort to keep S range ahead of the the 3)

So if I had to be cassandra about it I'd say at BEST you could:

Look for newer,denser, battery tech in the S mid 2020 when Plaid comes along.... then showing up in Roadster and X maybe 2021 or very end of 2020 depending how they can ramp the new battery production (Musk specifically said X/Roadster later)

And then that in the 3/Y maybe 2022 since the 3 will be ~5 years old by then and a bit of a facelift wouldn't hurt anyway... plus 2022 is when I expect actual competitors will be showing up in decent numbers so another generational tech jump would make sense.

and at worst:

If Plaid comes out and it's just S/X/Roadster using 2170 cells (which are about 50% denser than the 18650 they use now).... you're looking at even longer to see 100kwh in a 3/Y.

And given they probably would want a longer return on investment on 2170s than just a couple years of 3 production, that seems even more likely than the best case scenario.

The wildcard there is how quick they get maxwell tech into a production battery.

Elon said that in February, 2017....

Yeah, I’ll go with nearly three years later “stuff has changed” and I’ll certainly do me. :p

In addition the 3 is an infinitely more important car to Tesla, and makes them far more money than S/X given the volume of sales, so it makes way more sense (to me) to keep pushing the envelope with this car over any other.

Reactions: Gasaraki