Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: $1000 reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interested in details about placing reservation in stores on 31st in the coming weeks.. if it will be when stores open, before the reveal, etc. If they're not doing sig series, how will they fulfill the higher spec'd ones first? Open up ordering for first batch of X reservation holders, and then wait and see what users pick and build for those who pick higher specs first? Seems complicated.

I will be interested as well. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they show the reveal live at all the showrooms and open it up for reservations simultaneously everywhere (perhaps people get sequence numbers earlier in the day or something). The other question is the timing of the reveal. With this system it makes sense to do a morning reveal like Apple always does rather than Tesla's normal evening reveal.

Had to laugh, asked if the Raleigh showroom would be taking reservations and the sales guy said "Based on a tweet by our CEO....".

Normal business hours so far that day; will have to see if that changes as things get closer. As of right now all his info came from what Elon tweeted.

Woot, def going to put down a reservation, though not 100% sure we'll get one to replace the S (better to be prepared than end up at the back of the list).

This is the medias fault. If they weren't so inept or malicious (your choice) when printing the sig series cost as the base model cost, I bet we would have a go at sigs. Can't have nice things.

Not sure blame should be placed here, but if we were, then you should put a portion of that at Tesla's feet for not being "ready" when they said they were. If they were, they would've had production pricing out as well. The media reported on all they had to go on (though, some do deserve a big FAIL in not specifying it's for the fully loaded sig).

*edit* woops I guess I was beat to it (didn't see we had 5 pages)

i don't really understand how this works, though. If the unveiling is on the 31st, how are in store reservations supposed to work? Reservations sight unseen? Early day launch party?

No, it's Tesla's fault for not releasing any other numbers than that signature price. The only thing that came at some point was a tweet from Elon about 5k more than a Model S. All Tesla has to do is put the configurator online in time, even if it's just a demo to play around.

So will the build/option sheet be available on March 31? I mean how would we know what options, such as dual-motor AWD, if this is truly a sight-unseen deposit?

no build/option sheet but there will be a reveal of some sort, a car driven on stage, a presentation, a discussion of the plan going forward minus any details they want to hide from GM/Nissan/and such.

If you put the $1000 down, you'll have time to pull out or configure and confirm later when they are ready to start building production cars.

Just read the model x threads about all the people that put way more money down and just configured their car after waiting several years.

So, if they follow past practice, the $1000 is fully refundable, so there is not really any risk here if you blindly put the money down on the 31st. I think maybe they will do a a reveal earlier in the day, during normal business hours, webcast like they did with the MX reveal, so you can check things out before heading to the store.

I was going to wait at my local service center and hand the guy a check as he unlocks the door for business at 10am. How are these in person deposits at the service centers going to be sorted? Is there someone on site who will enter it into a computer and that will time stamp my deposit? Will folks on the east coast have a 3 hour head start in placing deposits this way? I'm just curious since it does not really matter to me to be first, but as long as my place in line is on the first day, I'm good with that.

I was going to wait at my local service center and hand the guy a check as he unlocks the door for business at 10am. How are these in person deposits at the service centers going to be sorted? Is there someone on site who will enter it into a computer and that will time stamp my deposit? Will folks on the east coast have a 3 hour head start in placing deposits this way? I'm just curious since it does not really matter to me to be first, but as long as my place in line is on the first day, I'm good with that.

I doubt people on the east coast will have a 3 hour head start, because I would imagine reservations will open everywhere right after the reveal.

My guess is the reveal event will be the evening of 30 March - those folks will be able to reserve there. Then Stores start taking reservations the next morning and on-line at midnight (take a guess as to time zone) on the 1st. Do we know for sure the reveal will be at Hawthorne? I'm hoping it's at the factory.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt people on the east coast will have a 3 hour head start, because I would imagine reservations will open everywhere right after the reveal.
Not true. Elon tweeted that store reservations on 3/31 and online on 4/1.

Not sure why everyone is worried about when they'll be able to put money down...

It doesn't matter so much that you're #1 in line, if you buy the "stripper" setup.

If I come in 2 hours after you and order a loaded one...I'm getting mine first.

Not sure why everyone is worried about when they'll be able to put money down...

It doesn't matter so much that you're #1 in line, if you buy the "stripper" setup.

If I come in 2 hours after you and order a loaded one...I'm getting mine first.

I don't think there will be many orders for the "stripper" model. I'm planning to hit the "Max my 3" button on the order page when the time comes.

How are these in person deposits at the service centers going to be sorted? Is there someone on site who will enter it into a computer and that will time stamp my deposit?

I am sure this will be an adventure for both purchases and the staff at the Tesla stores. :)

I wonder, however, if they will not just sit you down in front of an iMac, like they do today and you do everything via the website. I gotta believe physically taking payment and executing an agreement in the store crosses some sort of legal line.