Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: $1000 reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this will be an adventure for both purchases and the staff at the Tesla stores. :)

I wonder, however, if they will not just sit you down in front of an iMac, like they do today and you do everything via the website. I gotta believe physically taking payment and executing an agreement in the store crosses some sort of legal line.

Maybe because of the dealership issues....

When I pre-ordered my Audi 2 years ago, I put $500 down and configured it there. I had the option of backing out at any time. But again, the dealership vs. gallery distinction probably makes that "hazy" in some states.

Not true. Elon tweeted that store reservations on 3/31 and online on 4/1.

???? The reveal is on 3/31. Reservations start in store on 3/31 right after the reveal. What's the problem?

(Perhaps you thought that by everywhere I meant in-store and online at the same time. I just meant that in-store reservations start everywhere at the same time.)

Last edited:
I think people are just starting to grasp the brilliance of this reveal. With so much pent up interest (pretty sure all of us here know at least a handful of people who are eagerly waiting for the Model 3), and in-store only orders the first day, it has the potential to explode, with lines and people camping out at each store, with media attention, etc. A few days in, Elon tweets that they've received some huge number of reservations, the stock takes a big jump, etc.

Can't wait.

I'll be putting a deposit or two down for sure purely as a sign of support for the company.

I can't help but think of the possible time value of money at play here. Just like those who dropped $40k on an X reservation that if otherwise invested in TSLA stock at the time would have been worth 4-6x original investment at time of delivery. Adding $1k to my TSLA shares right now could exponentially increase of tesla hits targets on the 3. Fortunately it's $1k at play here and not $40 so more folks can hedge their bet and both invest and deposit!

There is a very high chance that people are going to line outside the stores to get early reservation. Or am I wrong?

There is a 100% chance. I can guarantee this because I am posting while washing my sleeping bag at the laundromat...

Now if only the SBUX 4 stores down Colorado Bl stayed open all night. Actually, no caffeine will be needed since I'll be pondering the fact that I will be ordering a Tesla in a few short hours. Might need a couple Valium come to think of it. :tongue:

RT

I think people are just starting to grasp the brilliance of this reveal. With so much pent up interest (pretty sure all of us here know at least a handful of people who are eagerly waiting for the Model 3), and in-store only orders the first day, it has the potential to explode, with lines and people camping out at each store, with media attention, etc. A few days in, Elon tweets that they've received some huge number of reservations, the stock takes a big jump, etc.

Can't wait.

I really don't think people are going to be camping out. It's not an iPhone you get your hands on right away to be the first one to get it. And even then, not a lot of details about the car will be actually revealed. It's not like they're actually going on sale that day and people can walk out with actual product.

You get to put $1000 down on a car you'll get in 2 years time, and based on the config you want, you may or may not get it "first". You might get it MONTHS after they start regular deliveries.

There's no sense or benefit of "camping out" or "waiting in line". Sure, go to the reveal, and put down a deposit, but there's absolutely no reason to be in line all day just to get a low Reservation number.

Bummed that they're doing the in store reservations a day before online. I am 150 miles from the nearest Tesla store, and it's not like this is on a weekend when I could find an excuse to make a weekend trip. I was hoping to be one of the first in line. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Bummed that they're doing the in store reservations a day before online. I am 150 miles from the nearest Tesla store, and it's not like this is on a weekend when I could find an excuse to make a weekend trip. I was hoping to be one of the first in line. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a little longer.

But what does being first in line at a local gallery (competing with hundreds of other galleries) actually get you? EM already said they're not going to make cars in Reservation order. Waiting one day to reserve online isn't going to change your position much at all, depending on the config you choose -- sometime in 2017!!

Remember, the higher optioned cars are going to be built first. It shouldn't matter how you place a reservation, unless you want to be the first of a first to get a maxed out car.

Edit: Hank beat me to it

Last edited:
???? The reveal is on 3/31. Reservations start in store on 3/31 right after the reveal. What's the problem?

(Perhaps you thought that by everywhere I meant in-store and online at the same time. I just meant that in-store reservations start everywhere at the same time.)
I did misunderstand you - I interpreted "everywhere" to be on-line.

Do we know that the reveal is on 3/31? They typically do those things (reveals/parties) in the evenings so I would think reveal/party on the evening of 3/30 with reservations starting at stores the morning of 3/31.

I did misunderstand you - I interpreted "everywhere" to be on-line.

Do we know that the reveal is on 3/31? They typically do those things (reveals/parties) in the evenings so I would think reveal/party on the evening of 3/30 with reservations starting at stores the morning of 3/31.

That would make the most sense, but the shareholder letter stated that the reveal would be on the 31st. Elon's tweet stating that there would be in store reservations on the 31st came later. We'll see how it will actually work.

But what does being first in line at a local gallery (competing with hundreds of other galleries) actually get you? EM already said they're not going to make cars in Reservation order. Waiting one day to reserve online isn't going to change your position much at all, depending on the config you choose -- sometime in 2017!!
I'm planning maxed out or close to it so I guess it will be toward the front either way.

Maybe Sig Red will be offered as an option for anyone during the first year of production, or maybe even as a "pre-order bonus", i.e. anyone who places a deposit by [INSERT DATE HERE] gets access to Sig Red if they want to order it. Pre-order bonuses happen all the time in the video game world...

If not I'll settle for multi-coat red (hopefully they'll offer it!).

Maybe Sig Red will be offered as an option for anyone during the first year of production, or maybe even as a "pre-order bonus", i.e. anyone who places a deposit by [INSERT DATE HERE] gets access to Sig Red if they want to order it. Pre-order bonuses happen all the time in the video game world...

If not I'll settle for multi-coat red (hopefully they'll offer it!).

Sig Red seems to be the most talked about color by a large margin (almost no one talks about any other color really), I'd be surprised if they didn't offer it to some amount of people. Maybe something like everyone who configures in 2017, so they can update the website on Jan 1 2018 and just be done with it