Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: $1000 reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm kind of disappointed if I'm not able to get Signature Red as a car color. That doesn't matter much in the long run, off to the races on March 31st, gonna put down 2 deposits anyways! I too think that the reservation numbers are going to be make the auto Marques very unhappy on April 1st :D

I expect the car to be shown to the public during the evening of March the 31st. So does that mean you can reserve the car before the actual reveal?
That's kinda stupid, I want to see the car before I put my reservation in. I wanna make sure it doesn't look like a Prius before I make a reservation.

I'm shocked that the reservation is only $1,000 and is the same price for all. I haven't had a chance to listen to the earnings call yet, but I know Elon mentioned that higher spec versions would be made/fulfilled first.

Now the decision for many will be: If I want to order a $35,000 spec Model 3, I might be forced to wait until late 2018 or likely longer and miss out on the full $7,500 tax credit. OR Do order a $42,500 spec Model 3, get delivery in early 2018 and qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit. Either way, I effectively pay $35,000 for the car.

This will initiate the auto industry disruption that everybody has been talking about. Huge numbers of consumers standing with Tesla. I love it.

+1 - As a shareholder I am happy with this approach. I was worried Sigs would again "confuse" the media - and with their current no advertising (though Elon did say on the call that that could change with the Model 3) the buzz this generates is going to be fun to watch.

Looking forward to placing a reservation.

I live in Texas, where Tesla is not allowed to sell directly. I'm assuming I won't be able to place a reservation at one of their stores (Tesla Galleries) on March 31st, and will instead need to place the reservation April 1st?

I'm sure they will have "Special Edition(s)" down the road to make up for not having "Signature Edition" to start. Also, who said that there won't be a color choice to match Signature Red, maybe even be called that, but available to all.

There is a very high chance that people are going to line outside the stores to get early reservation. Or am I wrong?
I suspect that's exactly what Tesla hopes will happen. Remember the lines outside of Apple stores on product release days? They're probably hoping for similar lines at stores and galleries around the country. What great promotion!

Will be interested in details about placing reservation in stores on 31st in the coming weeks.. if it will be when stores open, before the reveal, etc. If they're not doing sig series, how will they fulfill the higher spec'd ones first? Open up ordering for first batch of X reservation holders, and then wait and see what users pick and build for those who pick higher specs first? Seems complicated.

I suspect that's exactly what Tesla hopes will happen. Remember the lines outside of Apple stores on product release days? They're probably hoping for similar lines at stores and galleries around the country. What great promotion!

Yeah, and people will get to see the beautiful Model S/X in the showrooms. Many Model 3 customers may have never seen a Model S up close and in person. This is going to be YUGE!