TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 12V Power Socket

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Thiellie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Thiellie

Thiellie Member

It seems like the M3 has only one 12V power socket... but it is nice and beefy - 16A!

Does anyone know if anyone has taken that forward towards the front USB ports?

I'm thinking a Powered USB HUB... This would give you much more juice for the wireless chargers and Sentry mode Flash drives and who knows what else someone wants to power from the USB ports..
    (I checked the Owner's Manual and it does not state what the Power ratings are of the USB ports)

Model 3 12V Power Socket.png

2. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

It wouldn't work with sentry but should charging pads etc

3. Thiellie

Thiellie Member

Not sure what you mean.. I'm just looking to power a USB Hub (some hubs are bus powered and other's can take external power so the combined power the Hub can deliver is more than the power output of the USB socket it plugged in to.)

Of course one could attack the problem the other way around and just power the wireless charging pads from the 12V Power socket - that way they have all the juice they need to charge at max *and* you have not used one of your USB ports...

Will investigate what the connection to the power socket looks like (I don't like the typical cigaret lighter adapters - inevitably they rattle loos and make poor contact.. heat up and... hmmm let's not think what could happen..

4. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

Sentry would need to have storage on the cars usb as the computer will be looking to record on it. Chargers etc only need power so a usb hub would be fine

5. kgfaith

kgfaith Member

I will try to do the same, but it seem not very easy. Here are some videos.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Thiellie

Thiellie Member

Does anyone know how the 12V Power Socket and ISB ports are protected from shorts etc? No where in the manual do I see anything about fuses anywhere... Possibly electronically “fused” (over-current protected) by the control unit that supplies them?

7. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK L plates

There is quite an in-depth thread in the main Model 3 forums. If I stumble upon it, I will post the link. Iirc its a bit more involved than just running a wire - for start, there is no way between 12v and phone area without drilling and/or disassembly.

8. Thiellie

Thiellie Member

Thanks, does not seem too difficult - the one side seems to cater for cable routing - I guess it will be our RHD driver side.. (doubt whether Tesla would mirror that in the LHD vs RHD design)

9. Thiellie

Thiellie Member

Thanks - the disassembly seems very minor, and it seems the one side is suited for running cables - I will check over the weekend and report back

10. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK L plates

I think this is it. Why is the 12V port not in front with the USBs?

There is also another about when 12v is live 12v always on after sentry mode update?