Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 12V Power Socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the M3 has only one 12V power socket... but it is nice and beefy - 16A!

Does anyone know if anyone has taken that forward towards the front USB ports?

I'm thinking a Powered USB HUB... This would give you much more juice for the wireless chargers and Sentry mode Flash drives and who knows what else someone wants to power from the USB ports..
(I checked the Owner's Manual and it does not state what the Power ratings are of the USB ports)

Model 3 12V Power Socket.png

It wouldn't work with sentry but should charging pads etc
Not sure what you mean.. I'm just looking to power a USB Hub (some hubs are bus powered and other's can take external power so the combined power the Hub can deliver is more than the power output of the USB socket it plugged in to.)

Of course one could attack the problem the other way around and just power the wireless charging pads from the 12V Power socket - that way they have all the juice they need to charge at max *and* you have not used one of your USB ports...

Will investigate what the connection to the power socket looks like (I don't like the typical cigaret lighter adapters - inevitably they rattle loos and make poor contact.. heat up and... hmmm let's not think what could happen..

Does anyone know how the 12V Power Socket and ISB ports are protected from shorts etc? No where in the manual do I see anything about fuses anywhere... Possibly electronically “fused” (over-current protected) by the control unit that supplies them?

There is quite an in-depth thread in the main Model 3 forums. If I stumble upon it, I will post the link. Iirc its a bit more involved than just running a wire - for start, there is no way between 12v and phone area without drilling and/or disassembly.

There is quite an in-depth thread in the main Model 3 forums. If I stumble upon it, I will post the link. Iirc its a bit more involved than just running a wire - for start, there is no way between 12v and phone area without drilling and/or disassembly.
Thanks - the disassembly seems very minor, and it seems the one side is suited for running cables - I will check over the weekend and report back

I would think an ‘always on’ fridge would rapidly run down the not very big 12v battery. The car wakes up occasionally - perhaps daily - and checks the 12v battery. If it is low it stays awake whilst charging it from the main battery. This will result in the main battery running down faster. Might be ok for a day or so but might be a problem if the fridge was left on for longer when parked.

I would think an ‘always on’ fridge would rapidly run down the not very big 12v battery. The car wakes up occasionally - perhaps daily - and checks the 12v battery. If it is low it stays awake whilst charging it from the main battery. This will result in the main battery running down faster. Might be ok for a day or so but might be a problem if the fridge was left on for longer when parked.
The fridge will only be used when the car is on. PS: my fridge (Mestic MCC-35) has a built in safety in case the battery of the car is running down.

Does anyone know how the 12V Power Socket and ISB ports are protected from shorts etc? No where in the manual do I see anything about fuses anywhere... Possibly electronically “fused” (over-current protected) by the control unit that supplies them?
The M3 uses dozens of e-fuses that automatically reset an hour or two after tripping. All the USB ports in the centre of the vehicle are fed from the same circuit. I suspect the 12v power socket is separately fed.