Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - 175 miles from a 277 mile charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe there is something wrong with one of your brakes. I've heard of one Model 3 owner who had wildly high consumption (400wh/mi) that varied a lot. Turned out that one of the brakes was rubbing and dragging. It was identified by driving the car for a bit and using a thermal camera to look at the brakes. One of them was really hot and the other 3 were cool. If you use some caution, you might be able to diagnose it by carefully touching the brakes with the back of your hand.

I have never heard of that. This might be what's happening with my car. It has been squealing like crazy whenever I am in reverse since the day I bought it. I'm at 2,000 miles now so I finally made an appointment. I've tried all of the tricks to "break" in the brakes. Enough is enough.

I have never heard of that. This might be what's happening with my car. It has been squealing like crazy whenever I am in reverse since the day I bought it. I'm at 2,000 miles now so I finally made an appointment. I've tried all of the tricks to "break" in the brakes. Enough is enough.

This may be silly but are you sure the "squealing" sound is not the new noise omitting speaker which plays an annoyingly loud sound when the car is in reverse ; is only on the Model 3's made in the last 2 months.

This may be silly but are you sure the "squealing" sound is not the new noise omitting speaker which plays an annoyingly loud sound when the car is in reverse ; is only on the Model 3's made in the last 2 months.

What? Just when I think I've figured everything out there are more variables lol. Are you being serious? My car is probably 8 weeks old.
What is the annoyingly loud sound? A noise like brakes screeching for their lives? If it's the speaker I assume that if I have the radio muted that it won't make noise?
Part of me thinks you're just messing around with me but thank you for your response!

What? Just when I think I've figured everything out there are more variables lol. Are you being serious? My car is probably 8 weeks old.
What is the annoyingly loud sound? A noise like brakes screeching for their lives? If it's the speaker I assume that if I have the radio muted that it won't make noise?
Part of me thinks you're just messing around with me but thank you for your response!

No, there is a noisemaker for cars going under 19 MHP that was added to teslas to comply with some new regulation. Dont think it sounds like tires squealing though.

Here is a post that will let you listen and compare sounds.

This Is What A Tesla Will Soon Sound Like At Low Speeds | CleanTechnica

This video is the best one I have seen regarding the speaker. Shows you the sounds, how loud it is, how to muffle it and how to get rid of it

Thanks guys!
My car definitely makes that reverse noise. I actually kind of like it lol.
My brakes make a noise from hell and they have right out of the box.
I have Tesla Mobile Service coming out in 2 weeks.
I have tried some hard braking and periodically not using the regen system. Sometimes it's quieter than others but for the last week it has been louder than ever.

And how did you calculate the 375 miles? You drove 375 miles from 0-100% or you drove 100miles at X consumption and thought you will get 375miles at 0%?

Because if it is the second, it is not very accurate.

I am not saying 375 miles is not possible on an RWD, but at 55mph constant, it is very, very, very highly unlikely and to actually achieve that you have to go from 100% to as close as 0% you can get on a very flat road at nice weather without the HVAC running. And that without stopping for longer periods to avoid some vampire drain.
I drove over 355 miles that day with the guess-o-meter showing 20 more, a combination of a sore butt and not wanting to be left stranded I headed for the garage.

I've had my P3D+ for a year in Michigan. So I have winter experience. The start/stop mileage craters as the temperature drops. What I mean by that is that you use the most energy taking a 5 mile trip, warming up your car and battery and stopping for a few hours at work and cold soaking your care. Then you have to warm it up again on the 5 mile trip home. This is the least electrical efficient way to drive. If you need to road trip, you will still lose miles, but not as much.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H