Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 18" Aero Wheel Cracked Alloy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has had a cracked 18" aero alloy on their Model 3?

I have done less than 3,000 miles in about 3 months and I noticed a slow puncture, I took this into my local tyre shop and they found a crack on my alloy what is causing the issue.

After speaking with my local Service Centre (Chelmsford) they are fobbing me off with saying that I have hit a pothole with the wheel which has caused this, what are your thoughts? (Pictures included)

Chelmford's Service Centre:
"I can see that it has not been kerbed however a stress fracture in manufacturing would normally of been spotted and as mentioned it would of set low tyre pressure alerts in your vehicle upon delivery and within a month definitely. This seems like a probable cause of pothole damage and not a manufactures defect, the tyres absorb as much of the impact and don’t necessarily deform all the time but keep shape. As you mentioned you have had the vehicle for over 2-3 months with no issues relating to tyre pressure."

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

Haven't seen anything similar being reported( structural issue). I have seen videos though from the states where wheels have split in half due to potholes. Mostly affecting the 20inch ones. You will have hard time to prove to the SC that this was not due to a pothole. I would suggest to have it fixed outside of Tesla.

You'ld have a hard time arguing that. I'd buy a new wheel and tyre and get this one fixed and keep as a spare. Having said that it pretty crap design if a wheel can't take a few hard hits of a pothole (assuming you weren't flooring it down one of my side lanes)

Although the sentiment expressed by Tesla as a likely cause is going to be difficult to challenge, it's disappointing to see several bad grammatical errors in their written response.... "of been spotted" "would of set..." "...a manufactures defect". I'm not sure when the correct word 'have' was first replaced by 'of' but it's sadly becoming a very common practice.

I hope this isn't indicative of a design flaw with these wheels, both times I've had alloy damage from pothole/debris it's also taken out the tyre, that makes you wonder if the wheels are unusually brittle.
The Aero wheels have not come up as a notable weak point in uk forum that I’ve seen. In fact some people have specifically chosen the 18inch over other sizes because of their reduced likelihood of damage. From the OP description the wheel was not damaged by a pothole anyway so it could well be a one off fault or a weakness introduced during manufacture or transit that has only shown itself after a longer period.

Reactions: M3noob
Based on what I’ve read here, I’m pretty sure damage from pot holes is very rare for these 18” rims.
Thats likely why the service centre is indicating it’s likely from a pot hole.

It could also be a manufacturer defect, in just your rim, (bad luck) and a pot hole that normally wouldn’t affect these rims cracked it.

Either way, there isn’t really any way to prove a manufacturer defect like this, so Tesla or any other manufacturer wouldn’t likely cover this.

Does anyone else drive your car. ?
Could be that a blunt curb or pot hole was hit at fairly high speed and caused it. That’s just a guess though. A hit on a blunt or very rounded edge at high speed wouldn’t necessarily show on the tire or rim (like hitting a sharp edged hole would), but could potentially still fracture the rim.
Just a thought.

It it possible Tesla lets something with a defect slip through? Yes

Even if it was a defect by Tesla, you would have a hell of a time getting them to do anything or take responsibility

Do you remember actually hitting many pot holes?